Found the superstition coin on the Destiny

MSRussell

This is a tradition that goes back literally thousands of years. The Greeks and Romans placed coins under the mast of the ship, to appease the gods, and, hopefully, bring smooth sailing to the ship. The tradition continued through the heyday of sailing ship, until the present day.

On modern ships, since there is no sailing mast, the coins are often welded to the first couple of pieces of steel that are put down, at the beginning of construction.

I found them on the Paradise, in a glass-covered box affixed to the radio/radar mast.

I believe that most ships have them. Check near a radio or radar mast.

Paul

Edited by noblepa

I asked the CD on the Dream last week and he sent his Asst. to find out for me as neither knew what I was talking about at first this was at the past cruisers party and the Captain was also there don't know if he asked the Captain or who but he found us later and told us that it was under the water line welded to the keel.

Well, there goes my plans for looking for the coin when I sail on the Dream next month. :(

• 1 month later...

Disney has a coin ceremony:

"August 26, Disney Cruise Line celebrated the keel laying of the new Disney Dream cruise ship with a special ceremony. The Disney Dream is the first of two new cruise ships being built by Disney Cruise Line. Following maritime tradition a coin was placed under the keel for good fortune. Doing the honors of placing the coin were Disney Cruise Line Captain Tom Forberg and Donald Duck"

http://www.cruisestobahamas.net/videos-new-disney-dream-ship-takes-shape-%5Bv2W3tIWDTJg%5D.cfm

I found the Triumph's on our December 16th cruise. It is on the deck that has the basketball court. Basketball court was on the side of the ship and the dollar was towards the front. Maybe on radar tower or mast....cannot remember. They had tons of lounge chairs stacked in front of it. There was no coin that I could see. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I will!

Anyone know where the Spirit has hers hidden? I will be there in 22 days!

This is new to me also. But it reminds of something I read a few months ago on one of these boards about something else hidden on one the Carnival ships. It was placed by a passenger, with a log for future passengers to sign when they found it. Something like letterboxing, but without a stamp, or geocaching without a gps'r. But I can't remember which ship or where!

For those of you who do not know, everyship built has a coin minted with the ship name and this coin is placed ON the ship, but never in the same place. It is a tradition that goes back a long time and it is for good luck. ALL Carnival ships have one, but where, they do not tell you or point it out, only those who check out all the nooks and crannies find it. It is usually covered with a clear box over it.

True. Here, from the "Superstion and Symbols" website:

gold and silver coinsIt was customary for shipwrights to put a gold coin somewhere in the keel and a silver coin was put somewhere below the mast. The gold coin was for good luck and the silver coin protected the ship and the crew from storms.

Just one of many really good stories about this tradition....it dates back at least to the Viking shipbuilders.....

• 3 weeks later...

Very neat...I'm glad someone knew where the one was located on the Miracle. We will be on her in September, although it seems from it's location we would have found it on our own. Anyone know where it is located on the Pride, Sensation, or Inspiration? We were on all of those and im curious now :) Also i'm glad I learned something new about this very neat tradition!

• 4 years later...