Does "call for prices" mean that the category is sold out?

Stevero2

I have an opportunity for a free cruise on the Westerdam, but, if all the inside cabins are taken, I will have to take a crew cabin. From what I have heard, they have not been refurbished. Any idea of what they would be like? On the one hand, I did a Google search on "crew cabins" and it seemed like a horror story -- waves splashing, etc. On the other hand, I had been told that there are several kinds of crew cabins, the better ones reserved for clergy and lecturers, which is what I would be. Any idea what the truth is?

I don't know, but my guess is that you would not be down below the Main deck. On the W (and other Vistas and Sigs) there are six un-numbered outside cabins on deck 4 (Upper Prom) just forward of the center elevators (three on each side) which I know are used for temporary entertainers ... which is what you are if a lecturer.

Has anyone actually seen them on the Westerdam? Are they all alike?

It wasn't the Westerdam, but it was a Vista or Signature ship where I visited one of the "large insides" that wasn't one of the huge ones on Main Deck. It was smaller than the "large insides" on the S- and R-class ships, but not bad. It certainly was better than the "standard insides", which are tiny.

If there is going to be one in the cabin, then I would think it all right. If it's two people sharing, it may be a little tight, but doable.

Does "call for prices" mean that a category is sold out or simply that a better deal is available?

They are probably sold out, but any business will try to sell you something else rather than turn you away. Having you call gives them the opportunity. And also perhaps as has been said, be placed on a waitlist.

'Call for prices' means either: they are low, or have no inventory left. However, sometimes consortiums of TAs will pre-reserve 'X' number of staterooms on a 'hold' to get a volume 'deal' - thus be able to offer extra amenities (wine, OBC etc.). If it becomes apparent the consortium will not meet the 'target' sales, they will release the 'hold' and suddenly the 'Call for prices' will change to 'X' dollars... and site will allow booking.

For any given cruise, the HAL website can change from day-to-day. There are a multitude of variables - final payment date, TA release of unsold inventory date etc. - that effect what categories are 'availabe' and/or whether the pax can book a specific room within a Cat. (or whether the Cat. is sold as a 'guarantee'). They even hold back certain Cats. to release as 'loss leaders' to stimulate bookings.

Certainly the line loves 'guarantee' bookings. I'm pretty sure there are algorithims progammed into the booking main frame that actuaries would kill for. ;)

Rarely do they sail with an empty stateroom.

Does "call for prices" mean that a category is sold out or simply that a better deal is available?

I have noticed that "call for prices" is routinely posted for cruises departing within a couple of weeks. I've always assumed this was because HAL was finalizing cabin assignments.

It's going to be a somewhat unique situation. HAL offices will be closed Thanksgiving, the day before the cruise. That means that they will be assigning cabins the day of the cruise, and I won't know for sure until I reach the desk on board. My only hope of getting a guest cabin may be if they bump up a paying guest from an inside cabin. Any suggestions about what time to get there?

I'm confused. Are you "confirmed" as a guest of HAL or just considering the "assignment?" If you are confirmed, then I am sure they will have a cabin for you. And I seriously doubt it would be "down with the crew." Also, if you are confirmed as a HAL guest then they have certainly included you in the room assignments. Have you tried calling them?

Clergy are considered part of the "Entertainment staff" and can be assigned staff (non-passenger) cabins.

I'm confused. Are you "confirmed" as a guest of HAL or just considering the "assignment?" If you are confirmed, then I am sure they will have a cabin for you. And I seriously doubt it would be "down with the crew." Also, if you are confirmed as a HAL guest then they have certainly included you in the room assignments. Have you tried calling them?
You must have missed:
I am listed as clergy in category MM or NN, whatever that means.

You must have missed:

Originally Posted by Stevero2 viewpost.gif

I am listed as clergy in category MM or NN, whatever that means.

Thanks Mary Ellen. I actually saw that. What confused me was the OP saying "HAL offices will be closed Thanksgiving, the day before the cruise. That means that they will be assigning cabins the day of the cruise, and I won't know for sure until I reach the desk on board." I would think cabins would be assigned before Thanksgiving - not assigned the day of the cruise after OP is on the ship.

After rereading all this - I think the OP is just "curious" about where they will end up on the ship ... and I was thinking the OP couldn't decide whether to go or not based on where they might end up.

After rereading all this - I think the OP is just "curious" about where they will end up on the ship ...
This is my take too. From the first post I couldn't tell, but the later post clarified that they are just curious about the cabin type/location.

We've sailed (over 100 days) with a friend who has served as on board clergy on multiple cruises. He hasn't been the Minister on the cruises we've taken with him, but over the years we've talked about his duties and the accommodations he's been assigned when he has been part of the "Entertainment" staff. Sometimes it is a staff cabin, sometimes it is a passenger cabin. It all depends upon what is available.

I've sailed with clergy on HAL, and even though the booking agent says you'll get your cabin assignment at the front desk, you can actually get it at the luggage check-in because the porters have the manifest for that sailing and should have your name and cabin number on it. This way your luggage can be tagged just like everyone else's and will be brought to your cabin later. The assignments most likely will be done by Tuesday of next week, but there's no real way to find out. It seems to be seriously frowned on for clergy to contact the cruise line directly or to request an upgrade. You just need your boarding document from the booking agent and depending on what port it is, you either go in the staff entrance or see the pier coordinator for further instructions.

My last HAL boarding with clergy was quick and easy, we got an inside passenger cabin, the front desk staff was friendly and efficient getting us our keys, including the ones we had to go back for when the first set didn't work, and the luggage showed up by mid-afternoon.

I'd recommend getting to the pier for check in by around 11:30 a.m. You should be happily on board by 12:15.

Archived