FT Lauderdale - Is it worth renting a car

Lone_Warrior

Hey Cruise Critic folks:

Anybody that has visited FT Lauderdale that can recommend whether we should rent a car for our one night pre-cruise stay next week. Renting a car will probably be about 60 or 70 bucks. Is it worth it? I know there are the water taxis, shuttles, and cabs we can use. If I end up saving money and can still have good transportation in FT lauderdale I might not rent a car.....:cool:

Depends on what you want and where you will be staying. If you choose a hotel on 17th street/downtown you will find many chain dining options and shopping (grocery and drug stores) within walking distance. Most of these hotels also offer free shuttle service from FLL. If this fits your needs/desires, then skip the car rental and save the $$ for DODs! :D

Good luck!:)

I think at lot of the 17th St hotels also charge for parking.

We've rented a couple of the times we have cruised from Port Everglades, when we have come in early enough the day prior to go do some shopping and sightseeing. Then we stayed at airport area hotels where parking was included. One plus with Ft Lauderdale is the car return at the airport is so close to the port. We typically drop the luggage off at the ship, then gas and return the car, and take the free shuttle back from the car return.

If you come in later in the afternoon/evening, I wouldn't bother with a car, but earlier in the day it can come in handy.

Hey Cruise Critic folks:

Anybody that has visited FT Lauderdale that can recommend whether we should rent a car for our one night pre-cruise stay next week. Renting a car will probably be about 60 or 70 bucks. Is it worth it? I know there are the water taxis, shuttles, and cabs we can use. If I end up saving money and can still have good transportation in FT lauderdale I might not rent a car.....:cool:

Depends on where you are staying and where you want to go. Are you flying into FLL? Are you leaving out of Port Everglades?

Depends on where you are staying and where you want to go. Are you flying into FLL? Are you leaving out of Port Everglades?

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. We are flying into FLL and staying at the Hyatt Place Airport South one day pre-cruise leaving out of Port Everglades. We were thinking of maybe walking Las Olas Blvd and taking taxis. We also want to catch a bit to eat. But with the shuttle tips and cabs fairs, I might as well rent a car no?

Lone warrior, as the other folks have stated, depends on where you are staying and IF they charge your for parking, We always go down early, rent a car, and then find a hotel that does not charge for parking. Although over the years, the amount of Hotels near 17th st etc seem to be charging for parking. We look in the hollywood, plantation area.

This is just us, but we have had great luck with budget, as we rent at the airport, and return it to the Quay st drop off right near 17th st, and they have a shuttle to the ship.

To your point, by the time you factor in shuttles, one trip here etc, we think the car gives you that freedom to move about the city.

Press on

Pete

Archived