Venice Hotel Suggestions?

CTCruisers

We are looking for an inexpensive hotel for one night prior to our October 2011 cruise on the Norwegian Jade.

We hope to find one within a half mile or so of Piazzale Roma in Santa Croce. We are looking for one that would be clean and have rooms with a private bathroom.

So far, we have found Ca' Doge for €190 a night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This question has been answered a few times. If you look only as far as the first few pages you'll find quite a few recommendations.

This web site is very handy for all kinds of info, including the names of a few places close to Piazzelle Roma(PR). http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

If you only need a place to stay for 1 night and don't plan on going into Venice before the cruise, hotels by the airport are very inexpensive. We stayed at Hotel Ducale for 90E. Great b'fast, lovely little village, and it gave us the chance to use an ATM while we wandered around town. It cost 1.1 E to get there by bus and probably the same to get to PR the next morning.

We are looking for an inexpensive hotel for one night prior to our October 2011 cruise on the Norwegian Jade.

We hope to find one within a half mile or so of Piazzale Roma in Santa Croce. We are looking for one that would be clean and have rooms with a private bathroom.

So far, we have found Ca' Doge for €190 a night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DH and I are booked at the Ca' San Giorgio for 3 nights post-cruise next May. I did extensive research on Trip Advisor (CC's sister site) and Ca' San Giorgio was one of several in our price range that had received excellent reviews.

We'd already learned the hard way (on a previous trip) not to book the cheapest room in a B&B in Italy so we've booked the Double Classic for €160/night. (That's the weekend rate. It was a little less during the week.) They have a cheaper room called the "Double Economy" for less money but there's no photo of the room on the web site.

Click HERE to go to their web site to learn more. You may also want to check out the recommendations on Trip Advisor. Be sure to look under both Hotels and Bed and Breakfasts. Best wishes for a great cruise.

Edited to Add: They've been very professional in all their correspondence with us. They've always replied to our emails within 24-48 hours and their English is fluent. Their reservation system uses encryption.

We were in Venice late October and had a lovely stay here:

http://www.aitagliapietra.com/homepage.htm

Great location and very reasonable rates. I am fairly picky about my lodging and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Highly recommend!

Lorenzo will even meet you at the water taxi stop and take you to the B&B.

We stayed at Ca' Doge and loved it. I had originally planned to stay in Mestre (at $110 per night) but once I received the link to "Europe For Visitors" that Mapleleaves posted, I fell in love with Ca' Doge. We had the room with small balcony right in front.

http://www.cadoge.it/eng/benvenuti.html

All hotels in Italy are non-smoking now, but she told me I could open those doors and step onto the small balcony to smoke.

It was so handy. Everything is right at Piazzale Roma (taxis, buses, vaporetta, information kiosk, COOP grocery store) and now the Peoplemover to the port is there too. And the Piazzale is always a hustle bustle. It was really neat to watch Venice come alive in the morning from that little balcony.

There is another hotel on the other side of Piazzale, right on the Grand Canal, called Santa Chiara. Not sure of the prices there, but it was larger than Ca' Doge and as I say, right on the Grand Canal.

Remember, nothing in Italy is inexpensive!

Enjoy your trip to Venice!

We are staying at Arlecchino, recommended by a friend I've met in person through another website. The same ownership as Best Western Olympia, only cheaper - they have special non-refundable rates on their website. As we insured the whole trip anyway, we went for it.

The location, my friend said, is close to P.le Roma - she said, she saw it the moment she got off bus #5 from the airport.

Thanks for all of the advice.

We ended up booking a room at the Hotel Dalla Mora for €100 a night.

It is a 5 minute walk from the Piazzale Roma.

www.hoteldallamora.it

We stayed at the Dalla Mora for 2 nights after the cruise and again for 1 night after our land trip. It was ok. If you just want a clean basic room, it's fine. We expected more based on Trip Advisor reviews at that time so we were quite disappointed. But if you go there knowing it's just a clean basic room, you'll be ok with it. It's closer to a 10 minute walk and there are 3 bridges to cross but we travel light so that wasn't a problem. I much preferred the Hotel Ducale where we stayed the night before the cruise, but since we were sightseeing in Venice for a few days we wanted to be in Venice not 20 minutes away. Enjoy your vacation !

We are staying at Arlecchino, recommended by a friend I've met in person through another website. The same ownership as Best Western Olympia, only cheaper - they have special non-refundable rates on their website. As we insured the whole trip anyway, we went for it.

The location, my friend said, is close to P.le Roma - she said, she saw it the moment she got off bus #5 from the airport.

I stayed at the Arlecchino the night before and after my cruise last week and thought that it was a really good place to stay. It's very convenient to Piazzale Roma and only a 30 minute walk to Piazza San Marco. It's about three small bridges away from the bus stop.

All hotels in Italy are non-smoking now, but she told me I could open those doors and step onto the small balcony to smoke.

Enjoy your trip to Venice!

Respectfully, where did you get this information?

One of the problems that I had in our recent trip to Italy was the smoking. I'm very sensitive to smoke and ended up with a terrible throat irritation. For anyone who is reading, I still had a fabulous trip and plan to go back. But, I think this idea that Italy hotels are non-smoking should be researched.

When we checked into our Venice hotel, 21st of October 2010 to 24th of October 2010, the room that they reserved for us was definitely a smoking room. Even if I hadn't been able to smell the smoke, I would have known by the fact that there were no less than 3 ashtrays in the room: 1 in the bathroom, 1 on each nightstand. Definitely a smoking room! I had reserved a non-smoking room, so the receptionist was able to accommodate my request after some conversation and negotiation.

Which is why I think the statement about the smoking in hotels needs to be researched. I think it's possible that a specific hotel might have a smoking/nonsmoking policy, but anyone who is allergic or adverse to smoke should still request nonsmoking rooms. IMHO.

The smoking ban only applies to public indoor spaces:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans

Italy

Main article: Smoking in Italy

Italy was the fourth country in the world to enact a nationwide smoking ban. Since 10 January 2005 it is forbidden to smoke in all public indoor spaces, including bars, cafés, restaurants and discos. However, special smoking rooms are allowed. In such areas food can be served, but they are subjected to strict conditions: they need to be separately ventilated, with high air replacement rates; their air pressure must constantly be lower than the pressure in the surrounding rooms; they must be equipped with automatic sliding doors to prevent smoke from spreading to tobacco-free areas; they may occupy at most 50% of the establishment. Only 1% of all public establishments have opted for setting up a smoking room. Smoking is also forbidden in all enclosed workplaces - this includes also trains and underground stations. It is indeed allowed to smoke outdoors, which means that since Italy has sunny weather more than half of the year, people can still smoke at restaurants and bars as long as they sit on the outside tables and people still smoke there.

Sorry if I misquoted the exact law, but all of the smaller hotels we stayed at evidently didn't want to go to the expense of that ventilating system. We were told at three different hotels that it was illegal to smoke in the hotels now, but that I could smoke on the balcony. And this was in 2008.

There are definitely a lot of smokers in Europe, and someone sensitive to smoke could definitely be impacted. As a smoker, I noticed a huge difference from my first visit in 1998 to my second visit in 2008. Airports, train stations, restaurants, and hotels were all banned from smoking inside, and not just in Italy. Paris, Frankfurt, and Athens were included in this ban. And I've read Great Britain has instituted bans also.

We personally like to stay at Ca Doge when we need to be near the port. But if you want to explore all the options we suggest you log onto http://www.Venere.com. Than put in Venice, IT for the city and when you get that hotel list choose to filter it down to the "Santa-Croce- West" neighborhood. This will bring up a listing of the approximately 20 hotels in the environs of the P. Roma (they also show you a map). We think of the Venere web site as similar to a European Expedia-type site with lots of info and excellent rates. Keep in mind that really nice hotels/inns for low prices is something that we all want, but usually cannot find in Venice.

Hank

Archived