Big Two Week PG Sale

Molokai-Chuck

I am wondering about going on PG Jan/Feb but is it a good choice as I am a person who doesn't like snorkeling and diving. Would there be enough for me to do.? Also when I have looked at photos of the dining area it didn't look very appealing. Was it just a bad photo?

I like the idea of the small ship and have sailed 5 times with Oceania to various destinations. Would PG compare favorably to Oceania for Tahiti etc. I know that PG has a ship built for the area and it is smaller than Oceania's ships..

Also, if I didn't take many tours offered by the ship would I be able to get around the islands?. I usually do my own thing at most ports when I sail on Oceania.

Thanks

Jennifer

The ship is very appealing. It was built specifically for Tahiti, as you pointed out, so I don't think Oceania can really compete there.

The islands are very interesting, even for those not much into water sports. That being said, Jan/Feb is the hotter, somewhat rainer season.

Semolina,

I dont snorkel or dive but I enjoy the water which is so beautiful with its many shades of blue. Though I cannot swim I just enjoy lounging in the water.

I hve takend the glass bottomed boat in both bora bora and Rangiroa and it was spectacular in Rangiroa.

The 4x4 trips are wonderful expecially the views from the top.

You can enjoy the islands culture onboard with the Gauguins, Mark Eddowes talks, and the local dance groups that come on board.

PG also has some hikes though they can be quite strenous and messy (muddy).

Touring on your own by taxi can be expensive. Car rentals are available in Moorea. There are some private operators - board has plenty of information on this - but you will have to do this in advance. The first time we went we took a taxi tour on the dock in Bora Bora and frankly didnt see much though we did go to Bloody Marys. I enjoyed the 4x4 trip much more.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I highly recommend the 4x4 trip on Bora Bora, especially, although they are all nice. I've done the combined 4x4 and river boat trip on Raiatea twice, and loved it both times. And yes, renting a car on Moorea is a good option--just make sure you get up to the Belvedere (lookout), which has stunning views of the twin bays. I also have done Dr. Poole's dolphin watch twice on Moorea, which also shows off the stunning scenery of that island, and doesn't involve going in the water.

I highly recommend the 4x4 trip on Bora Bora, especially, although they are all nice. I've done the combined 4x4 and river boat trip on Raiatea twice, and loved it both times. And yes, renting a car on Moorea is a good option--just make sure you get up to the Belvedere (lookout), which has stunning views of the twin bays. I also have done Dr. Poole's dolphin watch twice on Moorea, which also shows off the stunning scenery of that island, and doesn't involve going in the water.

Thanks Wendy and also the others who responded to my questions. I am hoping to book on PG in the next few days. I guess it is best to take their air arrangements. We can only afford coach this time as we have flown Business class several times recently.

Thank you

Jennifer

The ship is very appealing. It was built specifically for Tahiti, as you pointed out, so I don't think Oceania can really compete there.

The islands are very interesting, even for those not much into water sports. That being said, Jan/Feb is the hotter, somewhat rainer season.

Whats so unique/special about the PG ship build?

It has a shallower draft to avoid coral reefs, is quite small, and has a sports platform off the back where the dive team is located, and from where you can sometimes waterski and kayak.

The ship is decorated with artifacts from the islands. The entertainment includes the Gauguines, a unique troupe of Polynesian entertainers. It's just a really nice little ship, with a very intimate feel.

It has a shallower draft to avoid coral reefs, is quite small, and has a sports platform off the back where the dive team is located, and from where you can sometimes waterski and kayak.

The ship is decorated with artifacts from the islands. The entertainment includes the Gauguines, a unique troupe of Polynesian entertainers. It's just a really nice little ship, with a very intimate feel.

Sounds wonderful!

I just returned vua LAX this morning and I am dead tired.

The food remains wonderful! The crew is better than ever and seem happier. The islands are just as beautiful. We loved New Zealand and hope to return someday. This itinerary apparently will not be repeated since it was a specially requested one by the former owner Grand Circle.

The ship will undergo a major overhaul from top to bottom in January 2012. Based on the sketches I saw the ship will look completely new with comtempory colors. AND more shade on the 8th deck!!

Disappointments? Laksman is no longer with the ship. However, the rest of the crew remain as friendly and service friendly as always.

I will post more as I reciver.

I just returned vua LAX this morning and I am dead tired.

The food remains wonderful! The crew is better than ever and seem happier. The islands are just as beautiful. We loved New Zealand and hope to return someday. This itinerary apparently will not be repeated since it was a specially requested one by the former owner Grand Circle.

The ship will undergo a major overhaul from top to bottom in January 2012. Based on the sketches I saw the ship will look completely new with comtempory colors. AND more shade on the 8th deck!!

Disappointments? Laksman is no longer with the ship. However, the rest of the crew remain as friendly and service friendly as always.

I will post more as I reciver.

Which one is Laksman?

Having touched base with Wendy and Sue, I am letting you know that we have just definitely booked the 14 day cruise on 15th Jan. We had such trouble finding airfares from Hawaii as the direct flights on Hawaiian Air were sold out. This meant flying via LAX or Auckland. Air New Zealand were also sold out and that left flying via Air Tahiti. The prices for the whole thing were very high and I didn't want to travel such a long way round. On Hawaiian from Honolulu you are there in 6 hours. Eventually we decided to pay the high air charges with the cruise company. They tell us we will travel direct from Honolulu on Hawaiian Air. This is a bit mystifying as they are sold out, or does PG buy a large amount of tickets a long time before hand.? If this is the case I can see how they can offer the great cruise special that we have taken. They will be making an extra $2,000 on the 2 of us on our airfares. So we have gained on the cruise price but lost on the airfares. I'm not sure if we have come out ahead. However we are now ready to look at the tours and to start feeling excited about the whole trip.

Do you have any information on Patrick's tour in Bora Bora. I wonder if I would like it. Would I have to spend a lot of time IN the water?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

We would love to have you join us on Patrick's excursion on Jan. 26 on Bora Bora. See my note on the PG roll call for Jan. 15 (the link is there). The more people we get, the cheaper the tour. I think it's about $150 each if we get the max of 12.

Stan

Thank you Stan for inviting us to join you on Patrick's excursion, but my husband doesn't think it is what he wants to do. If he changes his mind and you still have space I will let you know.

If Wendy, Sue and Emdee have anymore detailed information on the 4x4 excursions, I would like to hear from you, or anyone else for that matter. Was it a large group that went?. Maybe it is available with a private company also. I haven't looked as yet.

Are there any other excursions that anyone would recommend that they have enjoyed?.

Thanks to everyone

Jennifer

Semolina,

I did the excursions at various times over the years and just did them with the ships excursion desk. At that time the price differential wasnt too bad and the quality was quite good too.

If Wendy, Sue and Emdee have anymore detailed information on the 4x4 excursions, I would like to hear from you, or anyone else for that matter. Was it a large group that went?. Maybe it is available with a private company also. I haven't looked as yet.

Yes, I believe all the excursions are pretty standard and unless the PG has the local operators tied up the day they are in port, there should be private availability.

Over the years I have not bothered, since the prices seemed fairly comparable when booked with the ship. But the last time I was there (2008), the ship prices seemed a lot higher, so it would be worth comparing.

As for the 4x4 trips, they are in open-back Land Rovers, about 6 or 8 people per vehicle. The Bora Bora trip takes you around the island and up to several high lookouts, particularly up a tortuous, mountainous, muddy track through jungle up to WW2 gun emplacements. And a brief stop at Bloody Mary's. That's about what I remember.

On Moorea, you do a visit to the agricultural station, a trip up the Belvedere (lookout), a stop at the fruit juice/rum factory, and some off-road trips thru various plantations and up a really high hill near Oponohu Bay, where you get to climb up a precipitous last stretch, aided I remember by ropes, where you can see right out to sea, in a wide panorama. Same type of deal, land rovers that hold 8 at most.

I may have forgotten something, it was a while ago I did these.

I don't know I am doing but messages seemed to suddenly appear that werent there a few minutes before and that's why I asked the same question twice. Thanks for your help.

I take it that you enjoyed these trips. I will look into private availability.

Jennifer

Archived