Big Two Week PG Sale

Molokai-Chuck

You'll most likely anchor in Cook's Bay. Sometimes the ship is in Oponohu Bay, which is nearby. The car rental companies know this, and appear at the dock where the ship is, so if you have a car pre-arranged, they will be there. We arranged a rental a few years back through the ship, and ended up with Albert's, which is steps from the Cook's Bay dock. Several car rental vendors were there, waiting at the dock.

Semolina

The last two trips of mine 2008 and 2009 the ship anchored in Opunohu Bay. There is a new and large tender area there with shelter in case of rain on the dock. I prefer Cooks as it is closer to the Hilton but I guess this is closer to the IC.

Semolina if you book car or excursion with Albert he will for sure know where the ship will dock. All the cars are brought there. If you book it from the Airport then its only a short taxi ride there.

I have never rented a car so you must give me your experiences. I am planning to rent one next July and see if we can go to Temae beach and also visit the Agricultural station for vanilla, also belvedere and do some shopping. Last year I found a delightful store between the Les Tipannier hotel and the Tahia Collins showroom and bought some unusual pieces. I also liked the IC for crafts and jewellery and I think Laraine (Pacheco) had some suggestions too which I may use.

Semolina, the beach at Les Tipannier is not too bad and they allow you to use it if you have a drink or food. I did find it hard to find a taxi to return and the hotel was non cooperative. The best beach for both swimming and snorkelling is the Sofitel beach which continues into the public temae beach. Unfortunatley the Sofitel no longer allows one to use their facilities unless you book a room.

Hope above helps

Miriam

Thanks Miriam and Laraine for the information. I think I will try booking with Albert and then if we want to do a tour at the last minute he may be able to switch us. I think if we go the rental car route we can stop wherever we want and look at whatever interests us, like fun shops etc. It can't take long to go right around the island and I'm sure we can find the Belvedere.

Patrick's tour is hanging in the balance at the moment but I have his cell phone so we can call him from the ship if we find more passengers for him. I should give you his number too Stan, or maybe you already have it. Let me know.

Laraine, I see you are an Oceania fan. We have been with them 5 times and have two more later this year but I think different cruises from the ones you are going on. We are going on Marina in October. It's larger than we are used to but we felt we must try it.

We are looking forward to experiencing the Paul Gauguin.Happy New Year everyone.

Jennifer

Sorry Wendy, I didn't notice your reply when I first looked. Well, it looks like I will still try Albert and tell him the ship's name and he will be there for us. I must find out if our car insurance covers us for driving in FP.

Happy New Year.

Jennifer

Laraine, I see you are an Oceania fan. We have been with them 5 times and have two more later this year but I think different cruises from the ones you are going on. We are going on Marina in October. It's larger than we are used to but we felt we must try it.

Jennifer

Leave on the 15th on Nautica Asian Wonders. O is my preferred cruise line. Will be on the Marina TA later in the year and hoping to book the Riviera for 2012. Nothing, however, comes close to the PG. You are in for a treat.

Sorry I don't realise, but what is the IC?

Also we have had a good response from Albert for the car. There was much less hassle than when I looked at Avis. They were booked out on the car for $75 for the day so we have one for $80 and it includes insurance and taxes.

I'm sure it will be a special experience on PG. I have always thought that. I had to persuade my husband to go because he didn't believe it. I am looking forward to him being impressed.

We are on Oceania in April going to Cairo, Jerusalem etc and then on Marina 21st Oct Rome to Istanbul.

I will let you know how our car rental experience works out.

Jennifer

Archived