RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Apparently the rccl shipmate app is for iphone only. I have a tmobile my touch phone so i just accessed the rccl website from my phone and found the deck plans then clicked on "printable version" and it saved it to my phone as a pdf file. I had to do it for each deck but it only took a few minutes and dont have to worry about internet access. Also, dont get it confused with another shipmate app that tracks packages and luggage.

great tip-thanks!

Yes; apparently the developer didn't port the Shipmate app to Android. I was thinking about doing the same thing as you -- just go to RCL and download the deck plans to my SD card.

More helpful hints!

If you're traveling with kids -- Some insist on bringing their own favorite pillow from home. If you do, be sure to put a colored/patterned /cartoon pillowcase on it. If you bring a white one, you want to make sure you leave with your own property.

If you're looking to buy ship souvenirs, T-shirts & such (besides stuff you bought in ports) wait for the last 2 days on board. That's when they unveil all the stock & clearance items! Just be careful you don't get trampled on at the watch boxed sets table! Haha!

There is nothing worse than hearing your neighbor's activities & conversations. (I roomed next door to a bitter, squabbling drunk couple last time & swore I would never do it again.) If you should happen to be in a connecting rm bring a roll of blue painters tape to seal the doorway & earplugs just in case they are honeymooners. And remember... If you can hear them, they can hear you.

We never go on a trip without a white noise machine...we have yet to be awakened by the neighbors, or hallway noise.

I have an iphone4 as well and I can't get the decks to come up when it is on airplane mode as well. It will pull up the ship, but when I click on the deck plans I get a white page for each deck. :(

I just tried Shipmate and brought up all decks. Make sure you hit the blue deck map and not just the orange deck number.

Edited by RonnieD

I just tried Shipmate and brought up all decks. Make sure you hit the blue deck map and not just the orange deck number.

Shipmate is great! I don't know how necessary it is once you are on the ship, though, as they have ship layouts all over the place.

I LOVE THIS!

Port, blue & boys all have 4 letters! A creative mom easily figured that out in ten seconds! LOL!

And, of course... "left" has 4 letters

I remember it like the drink port, which is RED and if you drink it all you've got none LEFT

Thanks all for those tips.

So to sum up then:

The boys bathrooms are on the side of the ship with blue carpet, except in port when they are red. The boys bathrooms are on my left except when I am facing the blunt end when they are on my right.

The girls bathrooms are on the side of the ship with pink carpet, except in port when they are green. The girls bathrooms are on my right, except when I am facing the blunt end when they are on my left.

I'm on Liberty in April so can someone test this theory please and let me know (preferably after the refit in January). Thanks

Thanks all for those tips.

So to sum up then:

The boys bathrooms are on the side of the ship with blue carpet, except in port when they are red. The boys bathrooms are on my left except when I am facing the blunt end when they are on my right.

The girls bathrooms are on the side of the ship with pink carpet, except in port when they are green. The girls bathrooms are on my right, except when I am facing the blunt end when they are on my left.

I'm on Liberty in April so can someone test this theory please and let me know (preferably after the refit in January). Thanks

But on alternate Thursdays, there is a harvest moon, the captain has a cold, your mother-in-law is with you and you are in the Caribbean - then the bathrooms are unisex.

If there is a long line for drinks at the pool bar just walk to the railing and gaze out to sea and yell "WOW Look at the Whale". When everyone runs to the rail to see you get you drink without standing in line.:o

What a great idea. Thanks. :D

Bryan and Roger

And after visiting Carlos & Charlie's & Margaritaville, don't forget to put your key into the door facing down... Otherwise by the time you remember all of the above, you will never make it to a bathroom in time!

LOL!

Sounds like you are speaking from experience! LOL I will remember that one too.

our favorite is on the Freedom class - there is a wonderful spot on deck that few people know about and it is quiet and always has a breeze so it is a lovely spot to tan and read - but I'm not going to tell ou where it is as I don't want the secret to get out. if you HAVE to know you can guess and I'll tell ya or PM me.

our favorite is on the Freedom class - there is a wonderful spot on deck that few people know about and it is quiet and always has a breeze so it is a lovely spot to tan and read - but I'm not going to tell ou where it is as I don't want the secret to get out. if you HAVE to know you can guess and I'll tell ya or PM me.

You can't tease us like that. At least say which deck it is on.

Just an FYI, PMs are disabled on this board.

Not really a secret since the Majesty Captain told us what was going on... but I guess from time to time they lose an anchor. As we were leaving Cococay, I saw divers working off a RIHB 100 yards or so off the stern. Two mooring ropes were laying on the surface, then went down where they were working. Over the next few hours the hoists were working hard to bring up the stern anchor they had lost the week before. We were a little late in leaving there but I think they did get it. As the weigh-ward (sorry) anchor got closer we couldn't see it from deck 7 any more.

This was on 12/09/10 on the Majesty. He said they lost it the week before. I'm assuming that there's some sort of break-away joint in the chain. I wonder how fast they can drop another one if they do break it.

When they dropped the forward port anchor on my cruise, it sounded like they did it 4 times. Anyone know why they have to do it multiple times? Forward port was all rusty and well used, Forward starboard was neat and well painted.

Key West seems to want us out of there very early. 14:30 for the Majesty. I guess the ships block their view. If you know KW, they don't even wake up before 15:00. Sunset is the start of their days. We leave from KW way too early and Nassau way too late. They should be swapped... but I realize that could cause Customs issues.

I would pass totally and get a drink on board. At least RCL seems to want my money.

My total expenditures in KW this year: $3.

Ray

Where is the best place in Key West close to the pier to get a nice drink after an excursion before getting back onboard?

Here's a few tips I didn't notice already.

The front desk does (or at least they used to) keeps basic sea sickness pills in stock. Drag yourself to the front desk (or send someone healthy to go for you) and ask for them and they are free. This is great for folks who didn't think they would get seasick and didn't pack medication (like my husband on our first cruise!) ;)

And two general tips...

Bring a magnet to stick on your cabin door (the flat business card sized ones are perfect). If you're traveling with a group, and don't have cabins side by side this is a great way to help to find each other (well, it is when the other members in your group can't remember your cabin number!:p) This is also is quite handy for finding your cabin after a few too many drinks. ;)

If you love to read, the onboard library can be great - it's a wonderful place to leave your previously loved paperbacks for other travellers to enjoy! I usually stick to just one book and then wait to see what treats are to be had there.

A good tip to help you remember when you took some of the pictures... when you get back to the cabin, take a picture of the TV while it's on the cruise status channel. The one that shows the date, time and current position. Later you'll see these as you page through all the pictures and you'll have a better idea of when and where you were when you took them.

This channel was broken on the Majesty but I hope they fix it for my next cruise.

Ray

There are a**holes in every culture. We are Americans from Long Island, NY and we love to socialize with Brits on cruises. We still have friends in London who we plan to visit on our next transatlantic.

When people try to get in front of me on a line, I confront them and say "You first, right after me." (I am 6', 185 lbs and a Vietnam Vet) I have never been challenged. It really ticks me off when people try to jump lines.

The other thing that gets me is the Mario Andrettis in scooters. They just plow ahead and 'f' you!

Alright, alright, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening.

Well I can assure you that in the majority of cases, here in the UK, lines do exist. If all of your fellow citzens took your approach, it is no wonder that some American people are portrayed by some as boorish, rude and loud. I can assure you that queue jumping is certainly frowned upon here in the UK.

Furthermore, it is perhaps not a wise action to be 'aggressive' in some parts of Europe.

Certainly on my many trips to the US, I have noted that the concept of queuing does not exist for many Americans, but please note, I am not criticising, it is just an observation.

If I had a dislike for the Americans and the country, I would not visit as frequently as I do, - love the country and their people. Certainly I would not show a dislike for US citizens just because they jump a line now and again - we have enough a**holes in our own country to worry about other nationalities minor indiscretions!

Someone jumping in front of a queue may be deemed rude in other countries, but by being 'aggressive' and jumping a queue will only compound the anger of the people who are in an orderly line behind.

Only last month while waiting for the check in desk to open at LAX, there were about 20 people waiting to enter the line once the tape had been raised, however, despite the obvious waiting queue, an American couple decided to do a 'limbo dance' under the tape in an attempt to get to the front.

Rude or just clever because by taking this course of action, they would get checked in first? You decide - I will keep my own counsel on that one.

Some may say the end justified the means!

As an aside, rather than be 'aggressive' to avoid missing a flight, many would suggest arriving at the airport in time would be a preferable option rather than annoy your fellow travellers.

I have no problem pointing out that their place is in the back of the line.:eek:

On my first cruise on Enchantment, we boarded before 11 a.m. and the WJ wasn't even open yet. We were maybe among the first 50 people onboard. We casually went to the WJ, not yet realizing it wouldn't open until 11:30, and about a minute later we saw two people SPRINTING (no exaggeration) to get there. They were out of breath and appalled that they'd have to wait until 11:30. I guess my tip is--there is enough food--no need to give yourself a heart attack sprinting to the lomein haha.

There are a**holes in every culture. We are Americans from Long Island, NY and we love to socialize with Brits on cruises. We still have friends in London who we plan to visit on our next transatlantic.

The other thing that gets me is the Mario Andrettis in scooters. They just plow ahead and 'f' you!

I had a really bad accident a few years ago and can't walk very well. I never dreamed I would be able to cruise again until I discovered that I could use a scooter. So please know that not all scooter users are Mario Andrettis. I am in no hurry and give the right of way to all passengers. Just please help us get on the elvevators:)