RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Good to hear that from another Britt.

I used to be a Britt, but now am American:D

Looking for a table with food in hand, results in: food gets cold, you will suffer lots of stress, and you look like an idiot!

Getting the table firstly results in: hot food, and no stress.

It is not a matter of common courtesy, it is common sense.

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

I am so envious of your cultural superiority.:rolleyes:

I always wanted to keep in touch with my kids. So, we used the voicemail on our cabin phone. There are phones all over the ship and conveniently by the elevators. The kids would call the room and leave a message of where they were currently located and where they were going next. If I ever wanted to find them, I'd just listen to the voicemail on the cabin phone, or leave a message for them where to find me. :)

Seating seems to be a hot topic. We have never cruise on RC before but will be cruise in 2.5 weeks :o.

I have a questions about the WJ. When you go in is there a host that sits you (I guess not judging by these boards) or do you just go up and get your food. Also, is there wait service to get you more drinks and clean the table - or do you go up and get more drinks yourself and clean the table yourself?

Another thing I saw here was people cutting in line. What if you have already waited in line, gotten your food and started eating and then decide you want more of something (maybe you want another slice of bread). Normally I would just walk up and get another slice of bread. Not sure how the buffet is set up but I do not want to wait behind lots of people for just one item.

Please no bad posts here.

Thanks,

Linda

Seating seems to be a hot topic. We have never cruise on RC before but will be cruise in 2.5 weeks :o.

I have a questions about the WJ. When you go in is there a host that sits you (I guess not judging by these boards) or do you just go up and get your food. Also, is there wait service to get you more drinks and clean the table - or do you go up and get more drinks yourself and clean the table yourself?

Another thing I saw here was people cutting in line. What if you have already waited in line, gotten your food and started eating and then decide you want more of something (maybe you want another slice of bread). Normally I would just walk up and get another slice of bread. Not sure how the buffet is set up but I do not want to wait behind lots of people for just one item.

Please no bad posts here.

Thanks,

Linda

It is all common sense and courtesy.

NO host.

YOu walk in and check it out. There are usually 5 different stations. If you like one of them, get in line. For instance, there will be breakfast line for scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, ham, so you could get in that line and take what you want.

There might be a station with fruits, cereal, bread that is 360 degree access, so, no lines, just go up, and take what you need.

They do have attendants to serve you with beverages, but, you can also go to the beverage dispensers and grab your own if so desired.

If you want to go back and get a roll, you will find a station where there really is no line, just go grab one. If you want to go back and get bacon or eggs, that might involve getting back in line.

It ain't rocket science.;)

Edited by johneeo

Thanks, just wanted the set up.

On another note, are you getting hit by the same snow we are getting here in NJ. I am sure everyone is so tired of this weather. Just talking about cruises is making the snow seem not quite so bad.

Linda

Edited by lpizzuro123

I thought of another one...

Buy new shampoo, soap for the trip. Something tropical sounding with coconut scent or passion fruit or something. Use it on the ship and then continue using it when you get home. Never fails to "take me back" for just another minute or so. :)

I do this for every trip. So many choices at Bath and Body Works. And I LOVE their small can of room spray for the bathroom! ;)

Not that we need anything else to eat, but...you can ask one of the bartenders for trail mix in the bars...nice little snack between meals if you need one.

Sunpuppy, I believe we are on the same cruise on AOS. 3/6 out of San Juan? Happy Birthday!

Sue....Thank you so much for telling me the pier is not in Old Town !!! I had no idea :eek:.We just booked this cruise a few days ago so trying to figure everything out. Would have been upset had we gone to the wrong place. I think we will try to get there 11/12 and see if we can get check-in and then hit Old Town.

Thanks again!!!!

~Deb

"

"Just to make sure you are aware, the dock where you will board for the cruise is at the Pan American Pier, across the bay from the one adjacent to Old San Juan:"

59d5b626.jpg

Another option you might consider if you are flying in the night before... Most hotels will hold your luggage for the day while you enjoy the city rather than paying for a taxi to get to and from the ship. Or, there is a rest. named Barrachinos (SP?) in Old San Juan that will hold it in their back room for only a tip while you explore(the ship actually recommends them). Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did!:)

Here's a tip I find helpful at the ports, especially Ocho Rios.

Wear some earbud headphones. Just stick the wire down your shirt. When you walk past those annoying peddlers you can simply ignore them without appearing rude. They'll assume you can't hear them over your music.

Someone may need to confirm if they still do this but the best money saving tip I found was last year on Voyager. I spent 20 on the port shopping book because they did 2 for 1 on the Drink of the Day with the smiley face sticker on your card.

Someone may need to confirm if they still do this but the best money saving tip I found was last year on Voyager. I spent 20 on the port shopping book because they did 2 for 1 on the Drink of the Day with the smiley face sticker on your card.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. You bought a port shopping book taht gave you 2 for 1 on the drink of the day? Where was the book sold? Is this book on all Voyager class ships?

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. You bought a port shopping book taht gave you 2 for 1 on the drink of the day? Where was the book sold? Is this book on all Voyager class ships?

It was sold on Voyager in the port shopping experience seminar last Feb. I didn't know about it until someone told me later, I went to the pursers desk & they let me buy one. They put the sticker on my card, every time I ordered a drink of the day with my card, I got 2 for the price of 1.

I was on Majesty in June & they did not do this on that ship.

Edited by agrigar

You can go to the front desk & they will give you a small fold up map.

We got one of these on Grandeur in 2005, but they were not available on Liberty, Explorer, or Serenade over the past couple of years. We were told they are no longer making them. :(

We got one of these on Grandeur in 2005, but they were not available on Liberty, Explorer, or Serenade over the past couple of years. We were told they are no longer making them. :(

I had one on Liberty back in June 2010. However, I believe they discontinued it.

I had one on Liberty back in June 2010. However, I believe they discontinued it.

i thought maybe they did them on the 7 night cruises still because they did not do it on the Majesty. Oh well, guess it was a good deal while it lasted.

Boy, after reading all the snippy culture war back-and-forths on this thread, the tales of line cutters and elevator brutes, then tales of lounge-chair hogs, has me wondering why I ever signed up for my first cruise! What awful people! Will I regret spending 11 nights with them? I'm terribly depressed because it's too late to cancel. :)

Thank you to those who gave useful tips. They were very helpful.

Boy, after reading all the snippy culture war back-and-forths on this thread, the tales of line cutters and elevator brutes, then tales of lounge-chair hogs, has me wondering why I ever signed up for my first cruise! What awful people! Will I regret spending 11 nights with them? I'm terribly depressed because it's too late to cancel. :)

Thank you to those who gave useful tips. They were very helpful.

Believe me, I felt the same way after reading this board before my cruise in 2009. Are there "chair hogs"? Yes, there are. Do you need to get to the pool at a reasonable hour (10am) on an at sea day? Yes, you do if you want to sit next to the pool. Are there lines for elevators and rude people? Yes, but no more than at your average mall or amusement park.

My suggestion......Relax you are on vacation. If people want to be hogs, brutes or cutters, let them and enjoy your time.

I haven't been through all pages of this thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

On Explorer, you can get a champagne card for the champagne bar. It has a whole selection of different drinks made with champagne, and it's fun to try the different drinks. You can share the card - get a drink for both you and your spouse. I loved it!

I haven't been through all pages of this thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

On Explorer, you can get a champagne card for the champagne bar. It has a whole selection of different drinks made with champagne, and it's fun to try the different drinks. You can share the card - get a drink for both you and your spouse. I loved it!

What exactly is the card? Is it something you buy that entitles you to discounted drinks, or is it just a menu with special champagne drinks? Thanks.