RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

On the Radiance recently I had the misfortune to have to visit the medical facilities.:mad: While waiting the customary 30 minutes as is the case in doctor's offices worldwide, I noticed there was a bowl of sea sickness pills on a table in the medical waiting room.

our favorite is on the Freedom class - there is a wonderful spot on deck that few people know about and it is quiet and always has a breeze so it is a lovely spot to tan and read - but I'm not going to tell ou where it is as I don't want the secret to get out. if you HAVE to know you can guess and I'll tell ya or PM me.

Tell us RIGHT NOW!!!:D

our favorite is on the Freedom class - there is a wonderful spot on deck that few people know about and it is quiet and always has a breeze so it is a lovely spot to tan and read - but I'm not going to tell ou where it is as I don't want the secret to get out. if you HAVE to know you can guess and I'll tell ya or PM me.

Hi, could you tell me the place. I will be going on the liberty next week and my brother could really use a quiet, cool place. you can email me at rhuizenga(at)gmail.com

thanks

Thanks for all the great tips. We will be traveling on the Serenade during July 24 sailing for our honeymoon. As a first time cruiser with RC I love any and all tips.

I did have a few questions . .

I saw a few people noted you could bring on a package of water or soda by just placing a tag on it. Does this really work? Would it be better to bring an extra bag to store the drinks in?

If we buy alcohol while in port will we be allowed to have it on the ship or will they take it from us and return it on the last day?

For dinner in the MDR, what night will they typically serve lobster? Or do they? We are booked on a 7 night cruise if that helps. Can I request more than one plate?

Also, for dinner in the MDR, I want to make sure we dress appropriately. What should we expect other guest to be wearing.

Thanks!!

If we buy alcohol while in port will we be allowed to have it on the ship or will they take it from us and return it on the last day?

You get it back the night before you disembark.

For dinner in the MDR, what night will they typically serve lobster? Or do they? We are booked on a 7 night cruise if that helps. Can I request more than one plate?

On the Grandeur in July on a five nighter we had lobster tails one night and my wife had three :eek:

Also, for dinner in the MDR, I want to make sure we dress appropriately. What should we expect other guest to be wearing.

Most will follow the suggested dress code but you will find anything and everything.

Edited by birdcat

You get it back the night before you disembark.

If you buy alcohol in port (or on the ship) I will be delivered to your room the last evening (as birdcat says) but if you don't have it at a decent time ... start asking early. We did not have ours, and waited untill 10:00 to ask about it... took another 15 min to find it and then 45 min to get it up to our room.

If you buy alcohol in port (or on the ship) I will be delivered to your room the last evening (as birdcat says) but if you don't have it at a decent time ... start asking early. We did not have ours, and waited untill 10:00 to ask about it... took another 15 min to find it and then 45 min to get it up to our room.

Good to know. Any idea what the earlist is they typically will return it? I'm just thinking it might be worth buying a bottle of something in port to enjoy our last night on the ship.

Since a few cruise newbies are perusing this thread, I thought I'd add some tips that aren't necessarily "insider tips"...but are helpful to know if you are new to cruising. Especially if you are coming from somewhere cold (like Pittsburgh in January/February) to somewhere warm (like Florida).

Your luggage will get checked, by the porters, upon your arrival to the pier. It may not arrive at your room until after the ship leaves port. Since I am normally wearing jeans & a hoodie for the flight, I always make sure I have a pair of shorts (or a sundress) in my carry on bag so I can change out of my Pittsburgh clothes into something more Floridian! Since we normally like to lay out by the pool and drink Love Connections during that first afternoon, we also pack our bathing suits, a 3 oz. bottle of sunblock, and a book.

However...If you get on board early, your room may not be ready for a few hours...so don't bring a giant bag unless you want to lug it around all day!

Oh, and I don't think "Love Connections" are on the drink menu anymore...but they are the most delicious ever. Most of the bartenders know how to make them...but in case they don't:

It is a frozen drink with equal layers of Strawberry Daiquiri, Pina Colada and Peach Daiquiri. Enjoy!

Are there any drinks that are free? I know the alcoholic drinks are not, what about non-alcoholic drinks?

Iced tea, milk (regular or chocolate), hot tea, coffee, and lemonade are included in your cruisefare and are available in the dining room and windjammer buffet. Juice is available at no charge at breakfast but there is a charge at other times.

It is a frozen drink with equal layers of Strawberry Daiquiri, Pina Colada and Peach Daiquiri. Enjoy!

That sounds delicious!!

Oh...it so is. And...unless you have three blenders, it is a PITA to make at home. One of my most favorite things about cruising. Well, those and yanno, the 60+ temperature change in Jan/Feb... ;)

To help sort ship or port photographs.

Take a close up photo of the Cruise Compass which will show date, port etc. as soon as you receive it. This will nicely divide photos to help with future identification.

That's an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.

We took a 14 nite ocean crossing on the "Jewel..." in Sept. After 3 nights, the ship offered a "Special" for $25 for laundry. They offered the special 2 other times. You stuffed the laundry bag they use with as much as you can fit into it. It was really a bargain and everyhing came clean AND folded!

When you want to get away there are many places on the Enchantment but one place is really neat in the day...

Viking lounge, 11th flr, go to the bar then up either side to the back side - most people continue up the next steps where it over looks the dance floor which is nifty too.

We met in the back side for our meet and mingle this time - never knew it was there. Found it a great afternoon escape!

I always get at least $50 in $1s to give as tips (as well as $5s, $10s, etc.). Once we get in the room, the wallet and keys go in the safe (don't forget you will need to retrieve the wallet before going ashore). We unpack our bags when they arrive and put the suitecases under the bed out of the way.

Then, time to start enjoying the cruise!

I always get at least $50 in $1s to give as tips (as well as $5s, $10s, etc.). Once we get in the room, the wallet and keys go in the safe (don't forget you will need to retrieve the wallet before going ashore). We unpack our bags when they arrive and put the suitecases under the bed out of the way.

Then, time to start enjoying the cruise!

I never take my wallet ashore. only what I need, photo ID, 1 CC, and spending money. (ATM card if low on cash) Edited by FLACRUISER99

To help sort ship or port photographs.

Take a close up photo of the Cruise Compass which will show date, port etc. as soon as you receive it. This will nicely divide photos to help with future identification.

Or the day plates on the elevators floors! Not sure if they are on every ship but they were on the Radiance. Not once did I witness them changing them either. Too funny!

2183149280044007101S200x200Q85.jpg

Or the day plates on the elevators floors! Not sure if they are on every ship but they were on the Radiance. Not once did I witness them changing them either. Too funny!

Mee toooo! My guess is that they summon the elevators to the lower decks, change the plates & then send them back on their merry way!

Mee toooo! My guess is that they summon the elevators to the lower decks, change the plates & then send them back on their merry way!

That (reportedly) is exactly what happens. I've heard of people on deck 2 or 3 getting on an elevator going down rather than wait for it to come back up and going down with the elevator and watching the switch.