RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Boy, after reading all the snippy culture war back-and-forths on this thread, the tales of line cutters and elevator brutes, then tales of lounge-chair hogs, has me wondering why I ever signed up for my first cruise!

I'd been thinking the same thing too.....but then I realised the nice people outweigh the not so nice......and I won't let the nasties spoil my day, my cruise or my trip.

I wonder why more people don't take the stairs?

And remember that walking "down" is easy going, leave the elevators for people who need them.

It's not easy for some. I've had 5 knee operations and whilst I can go up with no problems I have to go down stairs sideways like a crab holding onto the rail. Slopes and stairs down HURT! Never judge what you think someone else can or can't do unless you KNOW. Saying that...most times I will take the stairs but if I need to, I'l be taking the lift.(elevator)

Saw this tip somewhere before... but didn't notice it in this thread. If you bring along your laptop, use it to power all your gadgets (Iphone, Ipod, Blackberry, Kindle) via the USB ports, thus only using 1 outlet.

Do the TV's have USB ports?

I think their official policy is no water or soda allowed, but obviously security practices may vary somewhat. I don't know if you will be able to get your soda back after the cruise. Maybe someone else has an answer to this.

Hubby and I are both Diabetic. we were told by Special needs that sugar-free drinks would possibly not be available on board and we should bring our own, and provide a doctor's letter.

Hubby and I are both Diabetic. we were told by Special needs that sugar-free drinks would possibly not be available on board and we should bring our own, and provide a doctor's letter.

I am a type 2 diabetic and have cruised on a few ships. I have never had any problem getting sugar free drinks on board. I usually drink diet sprite, which I have to pay for. I bought the drink package last year which included the coke machines. There were diet drinks available on these machines. You can also purchase diet sprite by the can. Kind of pricey. They also have sugar free iced tea available in the windjammer, that you can add Splenda to, If you want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Originally Posted by RammerJammer View Post

Darrelltwo

How to start an argument on an internet chat board:

1) Post opinion

2) Wait

HOW DARE YOU MAKE SUCH AN UNFOUNDED ASSUMPTION.

*Slaps krazy-dave round the shops with a sturdy glove*

Sir, I demand satisfaction.

;) Kind of like that?

For the people who stick things to their door in order to find the cabin....do the cabins not have numbers on the doors? That's how I usually find my room in a hotel.

We decorated our door with our kids favorite Disney characters on our Disney cruise so that the kids could find the door easily and didn't walk right by it. Somehow they always seemed to be walking faster than us adults who were still very full from a meal or had tired feet from a day of walking or being at the beach. I don't think I'd be decorating the door if it was just us adults, but I did put a couple things on my parents door which they thought was cute.

I guess I just don't know why someone would have a problem (a big enough problem that they felt the need to type it out...) with someone putting something on THEIR OWN door. No ones forcing you to put something on yours so perhaps just walk on by (I mean that literally and figuratively).

No iron in the cabin, so I do the following: 1) When we get into the room and unpack, any items that need a little refreshing get hung up in the bathroom, then I turn on the shower very hot in order to steam out any wrinkles but if there are some that need an iron, then 2) I use my flat iron to take them out. Even if you don't need one for your hair, they are fairly inexpensive and pack well.

Other items we bring:

Nightlight

travel clock,

battery candles,

post-it notes,

address/email labels to hand out to new friends,

outlet strip (you can get a 3-outlet at home improvement stores that take up less room than a surge protector)

One of the best things I take is a plastic insulated mug. Fill it up at the WJ with lemonade or tea or coffee and always have a drink with me when I find my special place to sun or read.

Also, I am very prone to illness after flying and invariably spend my cruises sick, so now I start with lots of vitamin C, etc a couple of weeks before a cruise, take the cleaning wipes on the plane, and take meds with you so you have what you need when you start getting sick. Buying meds in the gift store is expensive! Once, in Puerto Walmarto, there must have been a dozen of us in the OTC cold /flu section and NONE of us could read spanish enough to understand what the medicine treated. Funny if we all weren't so pathetic. ;-)

thought these were regarded as fire hazard and not allowed on ship??

thought these were regarded as fire hazard and not allowed on ship??
I believe they are allowed. I, and many others take them.

They are all specifically prohibited by RCI (prohibited items listed on website). Sometimes you'll manage to get them on without security noticing, but they often confiscate them, and at the end of every cruise you'll see a large pile of them which have been confiscated.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

We just brought a basic extension cord from the Dollar Store ( has three outlets at the end) and also we brought a three-outlet plug-in that they sell at Walmart or HomeDepot. We had no problems. The room had only ONE outlet (that allowed for three electrical items)...I'm SO GLAD we brought our own extras. If you pack a hair dryer or flat iron or something with a cord, just wrap the extension cord around that item and the X-ray scanner will not alert anything out of the ordinary. Of course for everyone's safety, be sure that your extension cord is fairly new (as to ensure it is approved by current safety standards) so there's no fire risk.

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

better to bring power strip or 3 prong adapter for everyone's safety

dollarstore electrical items can be iffy

As a non-parent, it really makes me feel a whole lot better about society when I hear about parents actually parenting... instead of finding a way to look cool to their kids or become "besties" with them.

The job of a parent is to teach, guide, and instill values into kids. That isn't always a popular, cool, or glamorous job.

I'm a parent to 3, and grandmother to 8....so I know how hard being a parent can be... Hats of to both of you. The parent for doing a great job...and the non-parent who appreciates them doing a good job.

I am a type 2 diabetic and have cruised on a few ships. I have never had any problem getting sugar free drinks on board. I usually drink diet sprite, which I have to pay for. I bought the drink package last year which included the coke machines. There were diet drinks available on these machines. You can also purchase diet sprite by the can. Kind of pricey. They also have sugar free iced tea available in the windjammer, that you can add Splenda to, If you want.

Thanks for everyone's responses to be various questions.

Re sugar free drinks....if they're not available we'd be stuck! I'd be ok with the iced tea but not hubby. Have you ever sailed on the Splendour of the seas? don't seem to see it mentioned much.

I am a type 2 diabetic and have cruised on a few ships. I have never had any problem getting sugar free drinks....... They also have sugar free iced tea available in the windjammer, that you can add Splenda to, If you want.

I got a chuckle out of this. I might be showing my age but there was a time when you ordered tea it came "sugar free" only. And it just said iced tea. Now sweet tea is a big thing but back then if you wanted sweet tea you either made it at home or had to add sugar to iced tea. Of course the sugar doesn't stir well in iced tea so you would end up with a lot of sugar in the bottom of the glass. Growing up on sweet tea then getting older and eating at restaurants it was a pain and I ended up just drinking plain iced tea to the point I can't stand sweet tea anymore.

Anyways I just thought sugar free tea was cute.

Eat more Shrimp

I got a chuckle out of this. I might be showing my age but there was a time when you ordered tea it came "sugar free" only. And it just said iced tea. Now sweet tea is a big thing but back then if you wanted sweet tea you either made it at home or had to add sugar to iced tea. Of course the sugar doesn't stir well in iced tea so you would end up with a lot of sugar in the bottom of the glass. Growing up on sweet tea then getting older and eating at restaurants it was a pain and I ended up just drinking plain iced tea to the point I can't stand sweet tea anymore.

Anyways I just thought sugar free tea was cute.

Eat more Shrimp

It's funny, here in the South you wouldn't dream of not selling "sweet tea" in any restaurant. It's a given anywhere you go, from fast food to fine dining. But once you cross past a certain point toward the north, iced tea means plain unsweetened tea.

I love me some sweet tea but avoid it as I try not to drink too many calories these days. I'll get unsweet and add some Splenda. Luckily Splenda will mix with cold tea, unlike sugar :cool:

It's funny, here in the South you wouldn't dream of not selling "sweet tea" in any restaurant. It's a given anywhere you go, from fast food to fine dining. But once you cross past a certain point toward the north, iced tea means plain unsweetened tea.

I love me some sweet tea but avoid it as I try not to drink too many calories these days. I'll get unsweet and add some Splenda. Luckily Splenda will mix with cold tea, unlike sugar :cool:

Well having grown up in Oklahoma and having lived in every state in the union I can say from the mid 80's to early 90's that in Florida, Georgia, Alabama Mississippi, Texas and we'll you get the picture at Denny's they only carried iced tea. Not sweet tea. However I will say at some small family owned restaurants they did offer sweet tea as well as iced tea.

But it is funny how tea changes as you cross the Mason - Dixie line.

Eat more Shrimp

Well having grown up in Oklahoma and having lived in every state in the union I can say from the mid 80's to early 90's that in Florida, Georgia, Alabama Mississippi, Texas and we'll you get the picture at Denny's they only carried iced tea. Not sweet tea. However I will say at some small family owned restaurants they did offer sweet tea as well as iced tea.

But it is funny how tea changes as you cross the Mason - Dixie line.

Eat more Shrimp

WOW, I've never run across anyone before who could make that claim! Yikes, that's way too many moves! :eek:

WOW, I've never run across anyone before who could make that claim! Yikes, that's way too many moves! :eek:

Well I can add Holland, England and Saudi Arabia. It was great during that period a move was like a couple suitcases. And no it wasn't because I was in the military. And now I am a truck driver so still traveling.:D:cool:

Eat more Shrimp

As a Briton, something I learned very quickly visiting Southern states - don't order a "tea". Order a "hot tea".

I learned very quick about ordering iced tea in England. It was some very strong tea. A glass could have made a gallon.:)

Eat more Shrimp

For the tea conversation - keep going north! In Ontario, Canada we only have sweet tea. If you order iced tea, it is sweet, no other options unless you make it at home yourself.

Really? :confused:

I can't stand Iced TEA

TEA is supposed to be made With HOT Water & Served HOT