RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

For many cruises I took with us clever colorful magnets I made, personalized with our names (for our large family traveling in several rooms) and lots of activities, such as "at the pool" "dining room" "off to the island" "waiting for sunset" etc. They were adorable and passersby often seemed to enjoy rearranging them. I also brought a set of refrigerator poetry words - you know, the kind you can arrange to make phrases. Our hallmates liked those too, and we ended up with some pretty humorous sayings on our doors sometimes! Then on a Carnival cruise a few years ago, the magnets were stolen, and we found several of them strewn on random doors down various hallways; the phrases were abused and taken, and the fun was gone for us as a result of a few presumably drunken late nighters. Oh well, I guess it was a "Fun Ship" for messing with other people's things. That had never happened on 4 RCCL sailings and 6 HAL cruises.

I realize that someone will respond to this post with something like "well you should have expected it when you put things on the outside of your door," but frankly I don't like to expect boorish behavior from people, and I am unhappy to see it.

Just beware when you put things on the outside that there are always spoilers out there. I just hope this trip they aren't in my hallway.

I have photo magnets of our dogs which I hang on our door. That way they get to come on vacation with us. After eight cruises, we still have our original magnets as no one has taken them.

Oh well, I guess it was a "Fun Ship" for messing with other people's things. That had never happened on 4 RCCL sailings and 6 HAL cruises.

To be fair, the 4 Royal cruises were probably luck and the 6 HAL sailings were because your fellow cruisers were all so old they didn't have the grip strength anymore to pull the magnets off the door and/or even read what they said, so they just walked on by.

HAHAHAHA! I keeed! I keeeed!

Here's one that can't be over-emphasized when you are cruising in the Caribbean: use sunscreen if you are outdoors, even if it's rainy or cloudy or cold.

My wife and I sailed out of Puerto Rico on Adventure a few years back. It was gloomy on the set sail day; cloudy, a little bit of rain here & there, no visible sun. My wife decides to forego the sunscreen as she takes her place up on the top deck to lay out.

She missed dinner the next two nights because she looked like a lobster. I has to sleep on the couch because she couldn't have anything (sheets, clothes, me) touch her at night. I laugh about it now, but those two nights for her were awful.

Here's one that can't be over-emphasized when you are cruising in the Caribbean: use sunscreen if you are outdoors, even if it's rainy or cloudy or cold.

My wife and I sailed out of Puerto Rico on Adventure a few years back. It was gloomy on the set sail day; cloudy, a little bit of rain here & there, no visible sun. My wife decides to forego the sunscreen as she takes her place up on the top deck to lay out.

She missed dinner the next two nights because she looked like a lobster. I has to sleep on the couch because she couldn't have anything (sheets, clothes, me) touch her at night. I laugh about it now, but those two nights for her were awful.

You are def right!!! Very good reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting I never thought of using the airplane mode on the ship. Does it still allow you to text to others on the same ship?

If you are connected to the ships wifi and you have an iPhone (or iPod touch, or iPad) you can text using iMessage. Otherwise no text messages will work

If you are connected to the ships wifi and you have an iPhone (or iPod touch, or iPad) you can text using iMessage. Otherwise no text messages will work.

Not entirely true. SMS text messages won't be possible, but there are many other options that will - and are much more universally available than Apple's proprietary iMessage. Just one option readily available from ANY device would be Facebook messaging.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

$6.50/day - fountain soda only

$20/day - premium coffee and tea, bottled water (still and sparkling), fresh-squeezed orange juice, non-alcoholic cocktails, and fountain soda

$40/day - beer, wine up to $8/glass, non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain soda, and 20% off bottles of wine.

$55/day - frozen drinks, cocktails up to $10, beer, wine up to $12/glass, non-alcoholic cocktails, bottled water (still only), fountain soda, and 20% off bottles of wine.

$65/day - frozen drinks, cocktails up to $10, beer, wine up to $12/glass, premium coffee and tea, bottled water (still and sparkling), fresh-squeezed orange juice, non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain soda, and 20% off bottles of wine.

All of the above include a souvenir coke cup. The packages don't include minibar items, room service drinks, milkshakes, protein - type smoothies, canned soda, souvenir glasses (other than the coke one that comes with the package), tobacco products, ice cream, or multiple drinks ordered at a time.

Am I reading that the $40 package does not include bottled water? How necessary is this? How's the tap water on the ship?

Check out this web site. This product is a must for cruising! It works.

http://www.poopourri.com. :D

Oh my! Yes! My mom owns a real deals store (local distributor for this product) and it's a great thing to have around- even at home. Think it would work fantastic on a cruise!

I agree with several of the people who stated its a cultural difference. Most likely brought on by the fact that buffet style restaurants in most of the USA (I've lived in Miami and Cleveland, and visited places all over) you're seated first by the restaurant host/hostess or instructed to find your table, then either you are provided plates to start or pickup plates at the food stations. This naturally carries over to the ship especially since there are no 'given' rules other than the obvious don't fight.

Rule of thumb is simply, the departure port will determine 90% of the time what the overwhelming population of the pax on the ship will be. Be prepared to follow the traditions and culture for those people.

I know the original poster didn't mean to offend, however it's quite difficult to not come off as offensive (especially in our ridiculously PC world) when you make any comment that includes the words 'quite rude' and a specific nationality.

Its interesting cause in Australia if there is no one to sit you then you are always (personal experience) to get your food first in many cases the food is close to the door and tables further away. So when we go on cruises we automatically go food first then look for a table but on our next cruise I think I will try the other way so that we can eat slightly warmer food. The other way just sounds better and less stressful. We will see in October and see if we remember or just do what is "normal" for us

No iron in the cabin, so I do the following: 1) When we get into the room and unpack, any items that need a little refreshing get hung up in the bathroom, then I turn on the shower very hot in order to steam out any wrinkles but if there are some that need an iron, then 2) I use my flat iron to take them out. Even if you don't need one for your hair, they are fairly inexpensive and pack well.

Other items we bring:

Nightlight

travel clock,

battery candles,

post-it notes,

address/email labels to hand out to new friends,

outlet strip (you can get a 3-outlet at home improvement stores that take up less room than a surge protector)

One of the best things I take is a plastic insulated mug. Fill it up at the WJ with lemonade or tea or coffee and always have a drink with me when I find my special place to sun or read.

Also, I am very prone to illness after flying and invariably spend my cruises sick, so now I start with lots of vitamin C, etc a couple of weeks before a cruise, take the cleaning wipes on the plane, and take meds with you so you have what you need when you start getting sick. Buying meds in the gift store is expensive! Once, in Puerto Walmarto, there must have been a dozen of us in the OTC cold /flu section and NONE of us could read spanish enough to understand what the medicine treated. Funny if we all weren't so pathetic. ;-)

Once, in Puerto Walmarto, there must have been a dozen of us in the OTC cold /flu section and NONE of us could read spanish enough to understand what the medicine treated. Funny if we all weren't so pathetic. ;-)

That is odd because when I was there, everything brand name was named the same. Granted the text was in Spanish, but as someone with sinus problems, I know which meds work for my symptoms and which don't... even if they aren't my usual brand.

The off-brands were in 100% Spanish, but it's not hard to figure out the "comparar con Aleve/Tylenol/Zyrtec/whatever" (my Spanish is hit/miss... but I think that's the form of compare they use on the packages) on the pack.

However, maybe living around a large Hispanic community has altered this white boy from the Midwest a bit more than I notice???

That is odd because when I was there, everything brand name was named the same. Granted the text was in Spanish, but as someone with sinus problems, I know which meds work for my symptoms and which don't... even if they aren't my usual brand.

The off-brands were in 100% Spanish, but it's not hard to figure out the "comparar con Aleve/Tylenol/Zyrtec/whatever" (my Spanish is hit/miss... but I think that's the form of compare they use on the packages) on the pack.

However, maybe living around a large Hispanic community has altered this white boy from the Midwest a bit more than I notice???

You're right, the brand names were the same, but the symptoms they treated were in Spanish, which only matters if you are looking for meds to treat your specific symptoms.

Am I reading that the $40 package does not include bottled water? How necessary is this? How's the tap water on the ship?

The tap water is fine (although not cold). Some people just prefer the taste of bottled or the convenience of carrying it around.

I must confess I haven't read all the pages, but saw some posts about elevators and wanted to post a reminder. Some people who use the elevator to go just one floor may have a physical condition that isn't visible. I have Cardiomyopathy/Heart Failure. I'm in my 50's and look physically fit and healthy. I can't walk up even one flight of stairs and it's horribly embarrassing for me to know that without going into an explanation of my condition, others think I'm just lazy. It's also embarrassing to feel I need to explain that I'm so ill. Until just over a year ago, I was bounding up the stairs. I'm desperate to make this cruise without a wheelchair. I know there are those that use the elevator as a convenience, just please remember that some of us would gladly go up the stairs; we just can't, and I might be on a cruise with you. My daughters are taking me on 2 cruises this year, in large part because of my diagnosis. Sorry to be a downer..just wanted to post a reminder that we never know what's going on with our fellow cruisers.

Thanks so much. I am in my 30s and have just been told that because of a knee injury that I suffered in my 20s that walking up or down even 1 or2 steeps will render me in extreme pain and swelling and there is nothing that can be done about it. I have been trying for 10 years to get help and hate the limitations that I have and so young. I know people look at me and think how lazy. But if they knew how painful stairs are then they would not judge

Thanks so much. I am in my 30s and have just been told that because of a knee injury that I suffered in my 20s that walking up or down even 1 or2 steeps will render me in extreme pain and swelling and there is nothing that can be done about it. I have been trying for 10 years to get help and hate the limitations that I have and so young. I know people look at me and think how lazy. But if they knew how painful stairs are then they would not judge

As someone who is just 40, but (like you) injured his knee in his early 20s, I fear exactly what you are saying. I climb 2 flights of stairs on most work days (usually a couple of times each day) in some weird attempt to keep myself from losing that ability.

Thankfully, my pain is limited at this point in my life. I have no pain walking down stairs. I have no pain walking on inclined or declined paths. I have no resting pain. I just have pain when I climb more than a couple flights of stairs. After about 2 decks worth of climbing is enough to give me some fairly hearty pain.

I'm not dumb enough to think that will get better as I age.

Edited by poncho1973

To be fair, the 4 Royal cruises were probably luck and the 6 HAL sailings were because your fellow cruisers were all so old they didn't have the grip strength anymore to pull the magnets off the door and/or even read what they said, so they just walked on by.

That truly made me laugh out loud! I love it!! I've cruised Carnival 11 times, Royal and Princess and each is different depending on the time of year, length of cruise and location. I've had cabin decorations up on many and the most I've had taken is a pen and sticky notes....Maybe someone just had a really important note to write!

I found 'Wall Pops' at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond. Google them. They are removeable dry erase 'dots'. They are about a foot across and stick right to the door. You can write on them and if you leave your dry erase marker there, others can write to you as well. When you are ready to go home, pull it off the door and back into your luggage. I've used the same set for years. It comes in a pack of 3, so you can let your friends/family try them, too! Really easy to pack as well.

I seriously wonder what is wrong with some people. Unless you're breaking some awful news to someone, or there are a million free seats around the place, the answer to "Mind if I sit here?" is always "Please do."

Could be worse, I flippantly joked with someone once that they changed the entire lift every day, to prevent uneven wear. I had thought my tone of voice was obvious, but then heard them repeating it to someone else later :(

That's as funny as on one cruise we went on the activities director told us the reason that they have a heli pad on the front of the ship was so that they could fly all the staff home at the end of their shifts each day then fly them back to start their next shift

[ATTACH]308881[/ATTACH]

my door decoration

lol love it. On the hole dec your door think Hubbie and I never and there is at least one argument about which is our room. Still not sure if we would do this but sounds like a good idea

On my last sailing on Allure, I noticed a few odd looking structures placed around the ship. Some of them look like large copper telescopes, aiming down into the ground (As if they were resting on their lenses). The others look like silver view-finders, again looking down into the ground.

If you go look into these things, you find some wonderful works of art hidden inside. They are scattered, seemingly randomly, throughout the ship and after I figured out what they were it became a game to try and find them all.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show you what they look like. I have no idea if they have similar hidden art onboard Oasis or any other ship, but I found them very interesting to look at and a decent way to spend a couple of hours on a sea day.

1088296622_Allure-Telescope.jpg.5c534c2d6f90149221071537ac5ad1ab.jpg

1172321864_Allure-Viewfinder.jpg.ea64997207d21ccc55fd53a75f8e4a90.jpg

On my last sailing on Allure, I noticed a few odd looking structures placed around the ship. Some of them look like large copper telescopes, aiming down into the ground (As if they were resting on their lenses). The others look like silver view-finders, again looking down into the ground.

If you go look into these things, you find some wonderful works of art hidden inside.

They are called Small Wonders and yes they are on both ships not sure if they are the same or in the same place. There is a plaque located around them to tell you what you are looking at. In your photo you can even see the plaque on the base of one. If my memory serves We found over 40 on the Oasis.

Eat more Shrimp

Originally Posted by RammerJammer View Post

Darrelltwo

Welcome to the cruise critic guilty until proven innocent club. Where no good deed goes unflamed.

Awesome! It's all good, I wasn't offended - just surprised that people assume you're up to no good????

Thanks for the Welcome :)

How to start an argument on an internet chat board:

1) Post opinion

2) Wait

More helpful hints!

If you're traveling with kids -- Some insist on bringing their own favorite pillow from home. If you do, be sure to put a colored/patterned /cartoon pillowcase on it. If you bring a white one, you want to make sure you leave with your own property.

If you're looking to buy ship souvenirs, T-shirts & such (besides stuff you bought in ports) wait for the last 2 days on board. That's when they unveil all the stock & clearance items! Just be careful you don't get trampled on at the watch boxed sets table! Haha!

There is nothing worse than hearing your neighbor's activities & conversations. (I roomed next door to a bitter, squabbling drunk couple last time & swore I would never do it again.) If you should happen to be in a connecting rm bring a roll of blue painters tape to seal the doorway & earplugs just in case they are honeymooners. And remember... If you can hear them, they can hear you.

OMG yeah, do NOT stand between the little old ladies and the cheap watches when the first start selling. I actually was knocked down and stepped on by the "bargain hunters".

Any idea how to find 'mini' versions of deck plans, versus printing out individual pages for each deck ?

I made my own by copying and pasting into a word doc. I then added other useful info on the same page eg dining times or relevant tips from CC . That way you can size for your own use.