RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I've not yet sailed on RC, but have seen a thread saying that they only provide those when requested and I guess that you are confirming that....Certainly made me add them to my list of things to bring.

Shampoo I can understand, but come on, soap is as necessary as towels and pillows!

They unfun thing they don't tell you about is the VAT tax on sailings in the med. 11%on food and beverage and 22% on clothing and other shopping.

You are able to get a partial VAT refund, but they charge $29euro(they don't tell you about that, either, or that you don't get the whole amount back, only about 13%) for the convenience, and you must have your recipt stamped by customs at the airport, before security, and then collect your refund at the special counter after you pass through passport control.

Edited by e11wa

They unfun thing they don't tell you about is the VAT tax on sailings in the med. 11%on food and beverage and 22% on clothing and other shopping.

You are able to get a partial VAT refund, but they charge $29euro(they don't tell you about that, either, or that you don't get the whole amount back, only about 13%) for the convenience, and you must have your recipt stamped by customs at the airport, before security, and then collect your refund at the special counter after you pass through passport control.

Did not know this..

THANKS for the info!

Just like getting the GST form when returning from Canada.

Edited by Pack My Bags
typo

It's my understanding that this only applies in Spanish waters, not the whole of the Med.

It's my understanding that this only applies in Spanish waters, not the whole of the Med.

Your understanding is wrong I'm sorry to say.

I've got 7 days worth of receipts with VAT on them....

And I think I might be about to experience similar in the Adriatic from Saturday...

2eta7yna.jpg

Every single one of those has a tax added, Barcelona, Marseilles, villefranche, la Spezia, civittavecchia, Naples.

Your understanding is wrong I'm sorry to say.

I've got 7 days worth of receipts with VAT on them....

And I think I might be about to experience similar in the Adriatic from Saturday...

Every single one of those has a tax added, Barcelona, Marseilles, villefranche, la Spezia, civittavecchia, Naples.

Looking at those ports it seems your cruise never went outside the EU tax regime so will be subject to VAT on (nearly) all purchases. A lot of cruises stop at Gibraltar or Turkey for this reason; one stop outside the EU tax borders makes the whole cruise VAT free but this isn't possible on the Barcelona - Rome loop.

You might find your Adriatic cruise stops at Turkey, so will fall outside the VAT rules.

Edited by abo

Looking at those ports it seems your cruise never went outside the EU tax regime so will be subject to VAT on (nearly) all purchases. A lot of cruises stop at Gibraltar or Turkey for this reason; one stop outside the EU tax borders makes the whole cruise VAT free but this isn't possible on the Barcelona - Rome loop.

You might find your Adriatic cruise stops at Turkey, so will fall outside the VAT rules.

That's right, but a sneaky bit the line aren't honest about.

And they tell you that you get the whole tax back on purchases(shirts, jewellery etc) but that's not entirely correct either.

And you only get about a 3 hour window to get your tax Recipt for refund issued on the last night of your cruise. Right around dinner time.

• 2 weeks later...

[

Also, I am very prone to illness after flying and invariably spend my cruises sick, so now I start with lots of vitamin C, etc a couple of weeks before a cruise, take the cleaning wipes on the plane, and take meds with you so you have what you need when you start getting sick.
Whether it's Vitamin C or whatever, taking a bit of extra care with your health in the weeks previous to a cruise (or other vacation) is a good idea. You can't avoid everything, but you can improve your chances.

I also agree about taking meds with you. To lighten the load, I pack medicines we commonly use into one of those SuMTuWThFSa pill dispensers. And I write on the back side in Sharpie marker, "Sudafed, 2 in 4" . . . meaning, take 2 pills every four hours.

I found 'Wall Pops' at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond. Google them. They are removeable dry erase 'dots'. They are about a foot across and stick right to the door. You can write on them and if you leave your dry erase marker there, others can write to you as well. When you are ready to go home, pull it off the door and back into your luggage. I've used the same set for years. It comes in a pack of 3, so you can let your friends/family try them, too! Really easy to pack as well.
I have those in my classroom. Using them on a cruise is a great idea.

I just about spit out my coffee on that one! Pass the Windex! LOL :D

Just for the record, I did not post that. I can't even figure out what it means.

Just want to give a bit of follow up to those that wanted to gift their room steward with a gift from their home city, etc... Consider that each week this person is probably in charge of 20+ rooms. If 1/10 of their clients gave them gifts, they would have no space for anything in their own room. Their rooms are smaller than the cabins we stay in and normally shared between two employees. A gift of food or candy with additional money or just additional money will make them much happier than a trinket they may/may not want. It's a lovely idea, but for their limited space.

For price comparisons, I use a site called Cruise Fish. Google it. It costs $1 per cruise. You tell it what cabin category you got and it will email you if there are any price adjustments up or down. No more having to set up fake bookings all of the time to check the rates. It was amazingly easy and saved my family $198 and I was able to tell friends on the same cruise and they saved as well. For the $1 per cruise, you can choose as many cabin types as you want for notices.

Agreed about bringing gifts for the crew. Do you really want gifts from your clients at work? It's a little odd. If you want to do something personal, a thank you note or a small box of chocolate or nuts is okay . . . but pay them. That's the best idea.

I don't know **********, but I will investigate it. Thanks for a good tip.

I take all my pencils and other suitable make-up and put it in a water glass which I keep in the cabinet. Then when I have to put my face on, all I do is pull the glass out and can readily see what I need without having to fumble through a make-up bag.

Tucker in Texas

I do that. I also use a glass for our toothbrushes and toothpaste.

When in fact, they can easily avoid that by just putting a bar of soap in your luggage in its wrapper (because you'll go through it) & leave the rest behind.
I use a special, slightly expensive soap prescribed by my dermatologist, so when I get to the point that a bar is maybe 80% used up, I set it aside and let it dry out . . . then I take it on vacation. That way I'm not wasting a full bar, and I don't have to feel badly about leaving an almost-new $4 bar at the end of the cruise.

Do not miss.......

2. Love & marriage show.

A note about any shows: My husband doesn't care to go. I do. Our compromise: We go to a couple shows -- the ones that look best to us -- but we watch the rest of the shows on the TV in our own room. The larger point: If you miss a show or just don't feel like being out in public, you can watch it in your room. Over and over, in fact.
Edited by MrsPete

If you pre tip your room steward $10-$20 upon checkin your suitcases will Most likely be waiting for you in your room rather than waiting in the hallway when being delivered.

Be at the ship before they start boarding and your luggage should be at your cabin by the time they make the cabins available. No need to pay and that's money in my pocket. We're usually there by 9:30 for an 11:00 boarding or 10:30 for a noon boarding.

Edited by Teeara

Have everyone in your group make sure that the date and time are correct on all cameras. It helps if you want combine all of your photos at the end of the cruise.

If you’ve booked an excursion where you will be doing something that you’ve not done before (ie. Snorkeling), practice before you leave home so you can enjoy the activity without the learning curve.

I have an IPhone 4 with an app on it for RCCL. Once out to sea I put my phone on airplane mode and use the deck plans on my phone to get around. On the Majesty someone asked if I knew where a bathroom is, I pulled out my phone and showed them.

Love this!!!! Am loading the app now. Thank you!

Just a quick one: we tipped our stateroom attendant on the first day, and had the poorest service in our stateroom we've ever had.

Even down to having to leave a post-it note for soap and shampoo.

did the same thing on Celebrity Equinox 12 day Med cruise......not bad service but he was not around......

Many folks don't find the Sea View cafe on Radiance class ships. The easiest way is to go toward the back of the Windjammer on the starboard side and take those stairs up to deck 12. Turn right and the Sea View is just ahead. Also, tho' robes are not given to pax unless they are C&A Platinum or above, many times you can get robes just by asking your cabin steward. If there are any available, you will get them. The steam and saunas inside the locker rooms on Voyager and Freedom class ships are at no charge. (can't remember if Radiance class has these too) And if you want a larger shower, use those in the locker room which are bigger than those in your cabin if you are in less than a Jr. Suite or higher. Don't miss the "peekaboo bridge" on Voyager class ships on deck 11 all the way forward. If you like shrimp, be sure to check the Cafe Promenade for shrimp salad and egg sandwiches. They are usually served on the second or third day of the cruise. Yummy!

Not sure about all of them, but the Seaview Cafe has been replaced on most every Radiance class ship. Yes, I know it stinks!

Can someone tell me whether on the So. Carib cruises they keep ship time or local time? thanks.

Best thing to do is set your watch phone or other timekeeping device to ship time that way if local time is different you will not get left in port. As you leave they have a large digital clock so you can double check.

Eat more Shrimp

Can someone tell me whether on the So. Carib cruises they keep ship time or local time? thanks.

I don't recall any time changes on our Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan. Note that the Captain can decide to change time on a cruise by cruise basis.

That's true but fortunately they put the number on your seapass card.

I find it easy to remember which way to go by thinking in terms of left/right and front/back. So on our last cruise I knew if I was on aft elevators/stairs I had to go forward, and vice-versa.

On Freedom class direction is easy as long as you're on decks 6-8, you can see Royal Promenade from elevator lobby, then it's easy to get oriented.

Funny thing is on land I have a terrible sense of direction. I guess ships just make sense to me.

I am the complete opposite! Can find anyplace on land. Wander around lost the whole time on the ship!

Any secrets we must know for cruising the Allure?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

If you're in luck you'll have Allan Brooks as cruise director.

He is fantastic!

Here is a secret about finding your way around to your stateroom when you're not sure where you are on the ship. I have not been on the Oasis class, but this is valid for all the others classes so I believe it may follow suit.

THE CARPET in the elevator banks is different colors on the 4 different quadrants of the ship. Forward port/starboard & AFT port /starboard.

One bank is green & pink and the other is pink & navy. The pink is on OPPOSITE sides. So if you see pink & green & know YOUR cabin is in Navy then you know you're on the wrong end.

See the photo below. Don't go by the hallway carpet. It's the carpet by the elevator/stairwells.

You can see what I mean if you look closely to the pink front & navy far end of this photo.

jenana2a.jpg

Another helpful hint is how to keep track of your photos. If you would like to remember what day & which port you are at start by taking a photo in the elevator first thing in the morning and you'll see this......

ru4yha3u.jpg

Lastly, if you are in the buffet & see the sign for this tropical beverage, DRINK IT! It's sooooo good!

yme7yje8.jpg

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Here is a secret about finding your way around to your stateroom when you're not sure where you are on the ship. I have not been on the Oasis class, but this is valid for all the others classes so I believe it may follow suit.

THE CARPET in the elevator banks is different colors on the 4 different quadrants of the ship. Forward port/starboard & AFT port /starboard.

One bank is green & pink and the other is pink & navy. The pink is on OPPOSITE sides. So if you see pink & green & know YOUR cabin is in Navy then you know you're on the wrong end.

See the photo below. Don't go by the hallway carpet. It's the carpet by the elevator/stairwells.

You can see what I mean if you look closely to the pink front & navy far end of this photo.

jenana2a.jpg

Another helpful hint is how to keep track of your photos. If you would like to remember what day & which port you are at start by taking a photo in the elevator first thing in the morning and you'll see this......

ru4yha3u.jpg

Lastly, if you are in the buffet & see the sign for this tropical beverage, DRINK IT! It's sooooo good!

yme7yje8.jpg

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Thank you!