RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I learned very quick about ordering iced tea in England. It was some very strong tea. A glass could have made a gallon.:)

Eat more Shrimp

Once down here in Tampa, I sat next to a couple visiting from up North at a conference dinner. They remarked about how the water seemed tainted and was that because it was processed sea water. And why wasn't it salty?

I calmly replied that that was ice tea and we don't get our water from the sea.:rolleyes:

I calmly replied that that was ice tea and we don't get our water from the sea.:rolleyes:

Actually, a portion of the water for the Tampa Bay region does come from desalinated sea water. However I doubt very much that it looks or tastes different from water from any other source.

Southern iced tea starts out hot just like everywhere else. We just add 1 1/4 cups of sugar and let it steep for 20 minutes. Then add cold water to make it to a gallon. If you can see through it, or it burns you, your doing it wrong. As for me though, I can't stand the taste of black tea, I can however do Earl Grey, other than that, only hot green tea.

So read through all 59 pages over a couple of days. Lots of great information in here, and a few laughable arguments too. Some people take things way to seriously for sure. Thanks for all the great info guys, even if some of that info was given years ago.

This is a tip about room service:

I ordered the honey stung chicken, which was very good. DH and DS ordered the burger, but we found out later that we had ordered the wrong one. I had read about the great Bistro burger here on CC. We ordered by phone, and I did not specify we wanted the bistro burger. When we later saw the ordering system on the TV, we noticed that there are 2 kinds of burgers - a regular hamburger (which DH and DS received) and the bistro burger (with bacon). So, take note to specify you want the bistro burger.

Here is the honey stung chicken from room service:

DSCN3637_zpse65d5c3e.jpeg

Here are some tips for the room, derived from my Indy review in my signature :D

1. Put a rag in the tray for your shampoo, soap, and razor - that way they do not fall through the slats onto the shower floor...

DSCN4168_zps38812810.jpeg

2. Pack empty ziploc bags for those late night snacks - grab extra cookies from the Promenade Cafe or from the Windjammer...

DSCN4235_zps6307d3e3.jpeg

3. Pack a flashlight with a magnet. Notice how the light switch for the bathroom is to the right of the door, outside the door, and how the door swings open to the right? Poor planning! Everyone wakes up to that bright light when you turn it on at night. So, bring a magnetic flashlight to put just inside the bathroom for easy access at night. It is also helpful to use inside the safe to find your iPod among all the other electronic devices, camera lenses, passports, and $1 bills...:eek:

DSCN4165_zps3b1c60ad.jpeg

DSCN4166_zpsfa356928.jpeg

More tips!

4. Bring one of those plugs that allows for multiple items to be charged at once:

DSCN4170_zps663b57a4.jpeg

Here is what you get in the cabin (including the European outlet for my friends on the other side of the Atlantic)

DSCN4171_zpsbe1bafe6.jpeg

DSCN4173_zps1c8d438e.jpeg

In the bathroom:

DSCN4175_zpsbcefa21b.jpeg

Here is what you get in the "cooler". It was definitely NOT a fridge. The water was even just a little cooler than room temperature in there.

DSCN4086_zps6904ff61.jpeg

Tips about your cabin

Did you know?

Behind those mirrors are cabinets! I learned about it here on CC... Hope it was not in this thread - I don't want to search through all the pages :D

Here are the cabinets closed:

DSCN3623_zps08261e24.jpeg

Here they are open:

DSCN3624_zpsf1789379.jpeg

DSCN3625_zps16be6eb4.jpeg

In the bathroom:

Note the hinges on the right side mirror:

DSCN3622_zps112619f5.jpeg

Voila! Space for our girlie makeup!

DSCN3621_zpsc81a0335.jpeg

Last couple of tips for now:

Pack your own shampoo and conditioner. You only get bar soap and a shampoo from a dispenser in the shower. The shampoo in the shower dries your hair out.

DSCN3807_zpsbffdde57.jpeg

Bring some clothespins to dry your swimwear on the balcony chair (If you splurge on a balcony, that is!)

DSC_0613_zpsc09d6526.jpeg

Happy cruising!

I haven't had a chance to go through this, but do the champagne cards still exist? I loved mine. 10 champagne drinks and it was about $45 at the time. I loved trying the new combinations each day.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I ordered the honey stung chicken.

I might have to make that honey stung chicken photo my wallpaper.

I'll also note that, considering the battle for device charging, my chargers are all 120-240V compatible, so I bring a European plug adapter. I don't want that other outlet to go to waste!

31hVo0mXnsL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Shabot

I haven't had a chance to go through this, but do the champagne cards still exist? I loved mine. 10 champagne drinks and it was about $45 at the time. I loved trying the new combinations each day.

I've not seen champagne cards.

I will also say that I've never experienced this. They know on Night #2 my preference... I'm assuming they note it somehow. I know most of the wait staff carry little notebooks in their pockets. I've never once had a member of the wait staff know my preferred drink on Night #1.

This happened to me one time on a Princess ship, sailing 6-8 months after the previous voyage. The Maitre D' saw us entering the dining room on day 1 and said, "Welcome back, Mr. <my last name, which isn't particularly common>."

Whatever he did - reviewing the passenger manifest, perhaps - earned him an extra $10.

It's just the last three digits of your cabin number. You still need to remember what deck you are on.

It makes me feel somewhat safer, but on the [rare] occasions when I've sailed with a silver or gold Seapass, I think, "Hey, that kind of reduces the number of decks a would-be thief would have to try..."

If I'm in line, and waiting for something you don't want, you should pass me. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. It's the person who just jumps in front of you, without asking, even if only to grab one item.

I've allowed someone to do this, (grab '1' item), and they stayed there. BALLS, and HELL NO!!!

I run into this dilemma where they have salad plus pasta and a few hot items on the same line (right behind Jade on gen 2 Voyager class ships, e.g.). Salad is far too healthy, so I prefer to skip that.

However, the end of the salad line bleeds into the beginning of the hot food line. Some people leave after getting a salad; others keep moving into the hot food line.

My solution, generally, has been to load up a plate at the other stations, wait for someone who takes a long time at the salad dressing, then ninja in and out for a scoop of pasta before anyone notices.

Am I reading that the $40 package does not include bottled water? How necessary is this? How's the tap water on the ship?

IMHO, the tap water is some of the best available. Here's an article on the desalination process: clicky

There's some engineering debate about the article in a different thread, but that thread has some pictures of a desalination plant on IOS: clicky

thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Even the opinionated ones made for a good laugh! Really people? you're on vacation! Relax! I'm leaving next weekend for a 2 week b2b on the Allure and learning about the Small Wonders was fun and I also learned some key spots for sailaways as we are in an oceanview room this time.

thanks again and when I return I'll try to pay it forward!

Any Royal Caribbean / Navigator secrets or tips about the kids program?

I'll be able to tell you more about the Navigator later on this Summer, but there is an excellent review posted up here recently. You'll need to wade through a good amount of chit-chat to get the whole thing (it's CC, after all), but you should find it worth the effort.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040556

As far as the kids' program goes, our experiences have always been quite positive. Our boys always enjoyed it. Others have remarked that they've found the crew to be a bit flat, but that's never been our impression.

We are about to embark upon our first sailing with a teenager, so I cannot speak to that . . . yet.

D