RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Just want to give a bit of follow up to those that wanted to gift their room steward with a gift from their home city, etc... Consider that each week this person is probably in charge of 20+ rooms. If 1/10 of their clients gave them gifts, they would have no space for anything in their own room. Their rooms are smaller than the cabins we stay in and normally shared between two employees. A gift of food or candy with additional money or just additional money will make them much happier than a trinket they may/may not want. It's a lovely idea, but for their limited space.

For price comparisons, I use a site called Cruise Fish. Google it. It costs $1 per cruise. You tell it what cabin category you got and it will email you if there are any price adjustments up or down. No more having to set up fake bookings all of the time to check the rates. It was amazingly easy and saved my family $198 and I was able to tell friends on the same cruise and they saved as well. For the $1 per cruise, you can choose as many cabin types as you want for notices.

For my really detailed trips (like Alaska), I have a folder that I create to keep all of my important confirmations, etc... I'm a bit OCD (as you can see in the link in my signature) but I want to make sure I don't forget anything. This file carrys EVERYTHING!

292383219_photo2.jpg.448e2c9faf6bab4e24b66724a607c99a.jpg

207559456_photo1.jpg.64da18e8c938c584c213f021416c30fa.jpg

Just want to give a bit of follow up to those that wanted to gift their room steward with a gift from their home city, etc... Consider that each week this person is probably in charge of 20+ rooms. If 1/10 of their clients gave them gifts, they would have no space for anything in their own room. Their rooms are smaller than the cabins we stay in and normally shared between two employees. A gift of food or candy with additional money or just additional money will make them much happier than a trinket they may/may not want. It's a lovely idea, but for their limited space.

For price comparisons, I use a site called Cruise Fish. Google it. It costs $1 per cruise. You tell it what cabin category you got and it will email you if there are any price adjustments up or down. No more having to set up fake bookings all of the time to check the rates. It was amazingly easy and saved my family $198 and I was able to tell friends on the same cruise and they saved as well. For the $1 per cruise, you can choose as many cabin types as you want for notices.

For my really detailed trips (like Alaska), I have a folder that I create to keep all of my important confirmations, etc... I'm a bit OCD (as you can see in the link in my signature) but I want to make sure I don't forget anything. This file carrys EVERYTHING!

I was using that website too for my last cruise but I found that my price went down several hours sooner (+ 10 hours sooner) than the "fish" website...so it's important to check the rates too ;)

Reading through some of the excellent tips, I thought of a couple I use.

I bring a canvas six-pack thermo bag and ask the room steward(ess) to fill it every day with ice. I leave it in the shower as it "sweats" plus it is a "reminder" to fill it when they service the cabin. I keep a couple of cans of soda, bottles of water, whatever in it and my white wine which I have poured into an empty water bottle or rum runner. I have plenty of ice for whatever I want it for and cold drinks. I even "make" ice tea by putting a couple of bags in an empty water bottle and fill it with water.

I take all my pencils and other suitable make-up and put it in a water glass which I keep in the cabinet. Then when I have to put my face on, all I do is pull the glass out and can readily see what I need without having to fumble through a make-up bag.

Tucker in Texas

• 2 weeks later...

Many first timers are so concerned with preparing that they waste space on foolish items. For instance, they will usually bring a soap case or tooth box case like this. ananyze4.jpg

When in fact, they can easily avoid that by just putting a bar of soap in your luggage in its wrapper (because you'll go through it) & leave the rest behind.

Same goes for shampoo if you get inexpensive shampoo like Suave. I often leave the rest behind. Less to carry & more room for souvenirs. (Unless you are good with Cruiseline shampoo which saves you from carrying shampoo as well!)

Another option for toothbrush space saving are these great suction cup covers that stick on any mirror surface!!! I love these!

anytaneb.jpg

OR you can use these toothbrush caps & put all the brushes in the bathroom water glass. These are usually found at cvs.

ura3yda7.jpg

I usually bring as little as possible. Dinner Shoes that go with every dinner outfit. Tops that match with all my bottoms. Sometimes I even wear out my el cheapo flip flops & will toss them by cruise end as well. Some may think I'm silly, but If I happen to bring tennis socks for my sneakers, I bring the ones with the holes & get rid of them. I also RARELY bring all my makeup or cologne. I wait to buy new stuff on board @ duty free in the shops. For instance, I am sailing in 18 days & am desperate for new bronzing powder, but will wait to buy.

A few other key packing tips. You don't need ALL your keys with you. Just your house keys. I also will dissect my wallet & only take a small zip pouch wallet with license, CC, debit card & insurance cards. I TRY not to take denim as it weighs more, but my capris somehow make their way in the suitcase! Don't bring the HUGE purse. Wristlets work fine. And for goodness sakes... Leave the laptop & electronics HOME! Maybe a kindle, but that's it!!!!

HAPPY SAILING!

Edited by Pack My Bags
typo

If you pre tip your room steward $10-$20 upon checkin your suitcases will Most likely be waiting for you in your room rather than waiting in the hallway when being delivered.

How does one go about doing that? Sorry I'm new to this cruising thing.

If you pre tip your room steward $10-$20 upon checkin your suitcases will Most likely be waiting for you in your room rather than waiting in the hallway when being delivered.

This is a technique I'm going to try out on Liberty this weekend!

As my wife and I travel from Australia to the Caribbean or Europe for vacation we always pack old stuff that will be despatched with as our trip goes on. Sox and underwear particularly, but also cologne that's running out etc.

I always grab a t-shirt from the ship, but wait until the last few days to buy when they're cheap.

How does one go about doing that? Sorry I'm new to this cruising thing.

The room stewards tend to be very visible on embarkation day and will introduce themselves as soon as they see you in your cabin.

Last couple of tips for now:

Pack your own shampoo and conditioner. You only get bar soap and a shampoo from a dispenser in the shower. The shampoo in the shower dries your hair out.

DSCN3807_zpsbffdde57.jpeg

Bring some clothespins to dry your swimwear on the balcony chair (If you splurge on a balcony, that is!)

DSC_0613_zpsc09d6526.jpeg

Happy cruising!

Great tips as always. FYI....even if you don't get a balcony, you can use the clothes pins for the shower clothes lines....keep your wet clothes dripping in the shower instead of the cabin.

OceanDreams

Don't know if I mentioned it before but my dress shoes (or another pair of shoes) fit inside my husband's dress shoes. Fill the remainder space up with hose or whatever fits.

Tucker in Texas

You obviously wear flats, because there's no way a pair of my wife's dress heels would fit inside my shoes... :)

You obviously wear flats, because there's no way a pair of my wife's dress heels would fit inside my shoes... :)

Hehe, I was thinking "If I do that, where would I put my socks?" :D

Don't know if I mentioned it before but my dress shoes (or another pair of shoes) fit inside my husband's dress shoes. Fill the remainder space up with hose or whatever fits.

Tucker in Texas

Maybe he has HUGE feet. ;)

I always stuff our shoes with odds and ends. Wasted space otherwise.

True. I either wear flats if I am wearing a long dress or a low heel if it is a short dress. Always worried about falling if the heels are too high and the ship is not steady. Husband is a size 12 wide. Doesn't have to be dress shoes, could be any pair, though.

Tucker in Texas

I put all my important cards in DH wallet leaving me not needing to carry a purse while on holiday. One thing for the beginners one of my co-workers just came back from her first cruise and was upset to learn that you can return to the ship during the day. It could have saved her roomy from getting food poison from a restaurant meaning that she then spent the rest of the cruise in bed and annoyed everyone putting a downer on the whole week. So yes you have paid for your meals so if it is convent why not go back for lunch then head out again.;)

There is a small dial on your desk that controls the volume of the internal speaker system. This speaker is under your desk. Meaning... Sometimes the capt wants to make a specific announcement or his daily 12:00 update, (which interrupts the TV movie by the way.)

Anyhow this speaker is a double edged sword. You do want to keep it ON, but low... If you hear an announcement you can always turn it up. If you keep it on all the time you'll think you're nuts & wonder why you keep hearing it but..... During the time that announcements are NOT MADE you will hear the slightest tinge of elevator music!!!!

Mind you.... When the ship docks in port & you are clear to disembark your will NOT hear these announcements in your room speaker, but out in the hallways. So if you want to hear those clearly you may need to just open your door for a moment.

6usasuna.jpg

Edited by Pack My Bags
typo

There is a small dial on your desk that controls the volume of the internal speaker system. This speaker is under your desk. Meaning... Sometimes the capt wants to make a specific announcement or his daily 12:00 update, (which interrupts the TV movie by the way.)

Anyhow this speaker is a double edged sword. You do want to keep it ON, but low... If you hear an announcement you can always turn it up. If you keep it on all the time you'll think you're nuts & wonder why you keep hearing it but..... During the time that announcements are NOT MADE you will hear the slightest tinge of elevator music!!!!

Mind you.... When the ship docks in port & you are clear to disembark your will NOT hear these announcements in your room speaker, but out in the hallways. So if you want to hear those clearly you may need to just open your door for a moment.

6usasuna.jpg

Thanks for the info.

OceanDreams

Do not miss.......

1. An opportunity for a free makeover & free samples. Go to the makeup seminar on deck 5 (if offered)

2. Love & marriage show.

3. Check your cruise compass for skating show ticket distribution time. It should be in the morning on a sea day sometime. If you happen to miss it, no worries.. They will have remaining tix left at guest services desk on deck 5.

4. Sunshine bars at the cafe promenade.

5. The SHIP! Especially if you're doing a western itinerary. Keep ship`s time.

6. Chocolate souffles in the MDR on the first formal night.

7. Captain & crew Q & A always learn something new or hear a good story!

8. The lamb chops & carpaccio at Portofino.

9. Nightly showtime, he said-she said, Battle of the Sexes , late night adult comedy & slot tournaments!

10. BY ALL MEANS......

Stay up late,

Go early & get a good seat

Wear comfortable shoes

And dont miss.....

THE QUEST!!!!!

Edited by Pack My Bags

Just a quick one: we tipped our stateroom attendant on the first day, and had the poorest service in our stateroom we've ever had.

Even down to having to leave a post-it note for soap and shampoo.

Just a quick one: we tipped our stateroom attendant on the first day, and had the poorest service in our stateroom we've ever had.

Even down to having to leave a post-it note for soap and shampoo.

I've not yet sailed on RC, but have seen a thread saying that they only provide those when requested and I guess that you are confirming that....Certainly made me add them to my list of things to bring.