RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

How do you set up the pin? Can you do it right on the slot machine or do you have to go to the cashier? Can you do this on the Oasis? Was on Oasis recently & no one ever told us that. Will try it next August when we are on again. Thanks for the tip.

I believe the poster who mentioned the PIN is thinking of another cruise line. To my knowledge, Royal does not have any games that can use your SeaPass for the money to play the game.

Liberty class has biggest overall balconies.

The balconies on the second-generation Voyager-class ships (Navigator and Mariner) are the same as the balconies on the Freedom-class (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence).

Edited by ahecht

I think he/she is thinking of Princess.

Tucker in Texas

No, I wasn't thinking of Princess. It has been a few years since I cruised on RCCL - Navigator in 2009 in the Med - but, as I said, I can't remember the last cruise I couldn't use my seapass in the slot machines, so I'm pretty sure it was available then, on that ship. (and I'm here to tell you, it is a dangerous practice!) :o Perhaps they've changed it back to cash only?

At any rate, as another poster said, you can buy chips then cash them in a bit later with no "penalty".

Here's a secret to becoming the most unpopular RCI cruiser on CruseCritic:

Show up an hour late to dinner in the MDR on formal night and pull a Rum Runner out of your cargo shorts pocket, and pour yourself a drink at the table while loudly explaining you were delayed by the wait at Guest Services to get your gratuity removed, then disappear for another 15 minutes so you can put out your towel to reserve your lounger for the next morning and cut in the line at the windjammer for a roll before heading back down to dinner. ;)

You forgot to go out on your balcony for a smoke first!

Elvis

Here's one I have probably posted before but been awhile since I've seen it.

On Voyager class ships, when reboarding the ship from port, walk by the first bank of elevators and go to the second bank further on. It looks like you may be going into a crew area, but you aren't.

Tucker in Texas

Just off voyager and my tip is if you find the bathroom towels too small grab one from the pool deck and use that. If you have a good cabin steward they will refresh it or just swap it out when you want.

TanInAus

Yes, great list, thanks. Another one to watch - unfortunately power strip & extension cords are listed on RCI's prohibited list. Don't know how rigidly that's enforced.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Don't see power strips on Royal's prohibited list. We always take two and when we take the kids we take four. Even double checked the list when I saw this post only extension cords on the list that I found on what not to pack http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Disclaimer: I have read all 43 pages not sure if this was covered or not but read it on another thread.

Limit the amount your teens can charge on their sea pass cards that way you will not have end of cruise sticker shock.

Eat more SHRIMP

This is important to do on the ship. My kids did not have signing privileges and at check in she even asked as it was on the paperwork and I told her they could charge absolutely nothing. Well when we got our bill there were charges not by our teens but my youngest and my niece that we had with us over $50 each in the arcade. Turns out you have to disable the card once on board, they could not put anything on our credit card but that doesn't mean that they can't charge to the cabin. There also was Ben & Jerry's charges on it. I paid for the Ice cream but refused to pay for the video games. We were then told spending limits or disabling the sea pass card has to be done on board and can't be done at check in regardless of what your sign & sail paperwork say.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't see power strips on Royal's prohibited list. We always take two and when we take the kids we take four. Even double checked the list when I saw this post only extension cords on the list that I found on what not to pack http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

if you are sailing out of Australia at least power strips are banned, on the recent cruise my friends had theirs confiscated along with 100's of other passengers (there were at least 400 in the box when we went through). I was told this is due to the fear that the power supply demand will be beyond capacity. the other challenge for non US sailings is we need conversion plugs to use anything anyway (which is why many of us used power boards)

I believe this may be at the discretion of the safety or security boss on each ship, so some may allow it.

Edited by taninaus

if you are sailing out of Australia at least power strips are banned, on the recent cruise my friends had theirs confiscated along with 100's of other passengers (there were at least 400 in the box when we went through). I was told this is due to the fear that the power supply demand will be beyond capacity. the other challenge for non US sailings is we need conversion plugs to use anything anyway (which is why many of us used power boards)

I believe this may be at the discretion of the safety or security boss on each ship, so some may allow it.

Just to muddy the water - I sailed on Radiance in December out of Sydney with an 8 plug powerboard, no hassles. I know of a member who was on the sailing before mine on same ship and had theirs confiscated. I had emailed RC weeks prior to sailing to confirm if they were allowed and the reply was yes, and that they are in many "recommended to pack" lists on the web. I took a printout of the reply along in my carry-on ready for a fight that never came. It must really be "potluck" if they get through scanning or not. :cool:

Edited by madelk
missing word

Yes, I had my powerstrip confiscated sailing on Rhapsody out of Sydney at Christmas. It was in my suitcase. Didnt get my suitcase until after dinner as a result. Not taking one next time. I had two adapters for the two powerpoints and that was enough to charge up our various electronic devices.

Edited by aussielozzie18

We sailed on Radiance in January and also got on board with a power board. It was in my carry on bag with all the other electronic gadgets and was not queried by port security. Maybe they get nabbed if you pack them in your suitcase and they get checked by the staff on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on Radiance in January and also got on board with a power board. It was in my carry on bag with all the other electronic gadgets and was not queried by port security. Maybe they get nabbed if you pack them in your suitcase and they get checked by the staff on the ship?

nope - sounds like it is luck as to which ship and decision maker you have. my friends (and the others I saw) were all from their carry on bags. it is possible there were others in suitcases as well - but my 2 outlet one made it through so who knows. if it was only a few $$ from a shop then you are not out much if you get one of the more vigilant sailings.

if you are sailing out of Australia at least power strips are banned

It sounds like out of all the current Royal Caribbean cruise ships in Australia, powerboards are confiscated on Rhapsody OTS but not on Radiance or Voyager OTS. This is not a fact, but just an observation.

I've successfully taken a single 4-way powerboard on both Radiance and Voyager OTS (in hand luggage) forh charging multiple cameras & phones.

However, I won't be taking a powerboard on Rhapsody OTS - instead opting for a 240v AU outlet / USB charging converter plus a double adapter. I'll find out soon enough if this combination gets on Rhapsody OTS OK - but you'd think it would, seeing as the AU outlet/USB converter is specifically sold for travelling purposes.

It sounds like out of all the current Royal Caribbean cruise ships in Australia, powerboards are confiscated on Rhapsody OTS but not on Radiance or Voyager OTS. This is not a fact, but just an observation.

Well, my brand new (still in packaging) power board was removed from my carryon luggage on my February cruising of Radiance from Sydney. I had to go pick it up at the end of the cruise. My mum on the other hand had her power board (exact same brand, still in packaging) in her checked luggage and it was delivered to her room fine. I guess you can't really generalise from only your own personal experience. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well, my brand new (still in packaging) power board was removed from my carryon luggage on my February cruising of Radiance from Sydney. I had to go pick it up at the end of the cruise. My mum on the other hand had her power board (exact same brand, still in packaging) in her checked luggage and it was delivered to her room fine. I guess you can't really generalise from only your own personal experience. :)

Agreed - mine was in my checked (and locked) luggage and was delivered to the stateroom with no questions. But I do know of a person boarding Radiance in Dec in Sydney with theirs in their checked luggage who had to relinquish theirs.

As for them being only a few dollars to lose - not likely! Mine was nearly $50 as it's designed for the traveller with the builtin surge protection and filter and 2 usb ports as well as a builtin nightlight - worth fighting for!

Now I just have to find out what the other cruise lines are like, as my next sailing is a P&O repositioning after a weeklong roadtrip where I will be needing the powerboard. :rolleyes:

Sorry - I don't know what a powerboard is - can someone please advise me? Many thanks!

Is it a power strip?

ImageUploadedByForums1395281966.598711.jpg.4570ade8ccf97b59514dddcdba3e5ff4.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what a power strip is, but I'm guessing it's the same... :)