new to cruising from the west coast

hlb76

Chinita thanks for your reply. You definitely made some good points. There are only 9 reviews which isn't a lot. Still kind of hesitant since its not a chain hotel. I will continue looking at all of the coastal towns, Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc. I am so tired of looking. Every time we find something that looks good, then there ends up being bad reviews on that hotel. Parking has also been another issue. We will have a rental car which is already pricey enough without having to add a hefty parking fee. However it is looking as if we will not be able to get around that. We have found a few motels that offer packages with free valet parking, but then the hotel doesn't get great reviews. Thanks for all the support and abundance of suggestions that I have gotten from all you great locals.

Kayla

One thing I've noticed about the TripAdvisor reviews is that often I wonder if some of the reviews are just plants. The really good ones could be employees and the really bad ones are from people with an axe to grind. So I would look at the middling ones to see where the more moderate ones fall.

I remember we stayed at a Seattle hotel that had some reviews about the noise level as it was located on a highway there. We had switched to that hotel post-cruise as we didn't care for the one we stayed at before the cruise. But I was a bit hesitant because of the reviews I've read. Turns out we didn't have a noise problem at all despite our room facing that highway. They must have heavy duty glass in the windows.

Kayla-

I couldn't agree more with Cruisin' Chick about reading the TA reviews with a grain of salt. You will never find a hotel with all positive reviews, which is why I caution about the 9 glowing reviews of the Jamaica Bay Resort. But given all the different factors, it sounds like a reasonable choice if it is in your budget. Everything looks new and it's in a good location.

I completely understand your need to research. Trust me, I am a logistics nut. But if you feel you are getting tired of looking, just book a refundable room and take a break. If something else comes up later, then you can change it.

Were you looking at any other specific hotels? Have you completely ruled out house rentals?

I have looked at all of the hotels on here that have been recommended to me on this site. I too agree that you can't always rely on the reviews on trip advisor. Its just scary sometimes to try and decide which one is the best one. We do know that the two days prior to our cruise, we will be staying at the Hyatt or Renaissance in Long Beach. After our cruise we would like to stay in Santa Monica, but probably won't because of the pricey motels. The ones that were actually not too bad on price, didn't really look that great. We seen several in the coastal towns that were recommended, we just have to make up our mind which one. We are also looking at the house rentals too that you suggested. We are also going to look into condos. Condos rentals are a big thing on the beach that I live at, and prices aren't too bad for the week. Again thanks for all your help.

Kayla

• 2 months later...

Well, we're two days out and I had to come back to this thread to refresh some of my memory. Big thumbs up to Steve for all his input. I booked much of this stuff months ago based on his advice.

Just so you know our plan, flying into Burbank on Saturday (cause that's where we could get our free SWA tickets), Super Shuttling down to the LB Westin, and boarding Spendor the next morning. Read some here about early check-in. Think we'll head over sometime around 10 ish seeking the 'outdoor check-in' for Zone 1. Then straight to Lido for my first DOD after the obligatory wait. (Isn't it awesome how all of us here on CC make the process easier for each other!)

Anytime you guys need help with something in Chicago just let me know! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Well, we're two days out and I had to come back to this thread to refresh some of my memory. Big thumbs up to Steve for all his input. I booked much of this stuff months ago based on his advice.

Just so you know our plan, flying into Burbank on Saturday (cause that's where we could get our free SWA tickets), Super Shuttling down to the LB Westin, and boarding Spendor the next morning. Read some here about early check-in. Think we'll head over sometime around 10 ish seeking the 'outdoor check-in' for Zone 1. Then straight to Lido for my first DOD after the obligatory wait. (Isn't it awesome how all of us here on CC make the process easier for each other!)

Anytime you guys need help with something in Chicago just let me know! :D

Just read this trhead and a plethora of information. Thanks to all. Question to jsglow if still around, or anyone else that would like to chime in....

I notice that Splendor's is not scheduled to arrive until 9 A.M. If that is true, then it doesn't seem to me like the crew would be ready for anyone to arrive until early afternoon. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Just read this trhead and a plethora of information. Thanks to all. Question to jsglow if still around, or anyone else that would like to chime in....

I notice that Splendor's is not scheduled to arrive until 9 A.M. If that is true, then it doesn't seem to me like the crew would be ready for anyone to arrive until early afternoon. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

In reality, the crew probably knows how to quickly get the cabins ready for the new set of passengers. Personally, (and this is for San Pedro, the last time we sailed on Carnival, they were still using this port) my family likes to get to the port by noon. If we have to wait, at least we're there.

Archived