new to cruising from the west coast

hlb76

PLEASE help me with all your info about cruising out of Long Beach. We have only cruised out of Port of Maimi. We are planning on flying in a day early (which will be a Sat. our ship leaves on Sun) since flying out of MN same day scares me!

Whats the best route for hotel and transportation. We dont need anything fancy just some place clean and safe.

I might look at flying in Friday so we have a whole day to explore LA but not sure if $$$ will allow.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely consider staying in Long Beach. But be sure to search on the threads here and find the info (on several threads) by Bruin Steve. He has definite recommendations on the good and the bad hotels/areas of LB.

After I run some errands and take my girl to her music lessons, I'll be back tonight and will try to find one of his posts if you haven't been able to.

PLEASE help me with all your info about cruising out of Long Beach. We have only cruised out of Port of Maimi. We are planning on flying in a day early (which will be a Sat. our ship leaves on Sun) since flying out of MN same day scares me!

Whats the best route for hotel and transportation. We dont need anything fancy just some place clean and safe.

I might look at flying in Friday so we have a whole day to explore LA but not sure if $$$ will allow.

Thanks in advance!

Heather,

First, definitely fly in at least a day ahead...You don't want to stress about flight delays or lost luggage and it gives you some time to adjust to the time zone change as well...

First thing you need to know about LA is that it is a BIG place...and distances can be quite far--and, with traffic, take a long time...

Sailing out of Long Beach and on a budget, I would definitely stay in Long Beach...especially if it's just one night...

As far as flying in, there are several airports which serve the greater Los Angeles area...You will see flights to LAX, Long Beach, John Wayne, Burbank and Ontario...If you can get a convenient and well priced flight directly into Long Beach, great...it's a very small airport only 10 miles or so from the pier...easy to get around, no lines or crowds...

LAX is the airport MOST people fly in and out of...about 23 miles from the Long Beach pier...and one of the world's largest and busiest airports...the pluses are that there are a large number of flights to and from everywhere, all times of day...and easy to find shuttles or taxis out...the bad is that it can be overwhelming to some and the lines for security and check-in are sometimes long...

John Wayne Airport is down in Orange County and about 31 miles away, but, it's a mid-sized airport and easy to get in and out and sometimes there may be some bargain fares, though the shuttle or taxi to Long Beach may cost a drop more...

Burbank is about 38 miles away and mostly recommended for those visiting Hollywood/Universal pre- or post cruise...also a very small airport...

Ontario is about 60 miles away and is convenient for no one except those who live out that way...and a shuttle or taxi will cost a small fortune...

So, assuming arrival at LGB or LAX, take a shuttle (biggest two companies are SuperShuttle and Prime Time Shuttle) from airport to hotel...

Know also that Long Beach, in and of itself, is a BIG city--population over half a million...and there are good areas of Long Beach and bad areas of Long Beach...For a cruise passenger, there is a very limited area of Long Beach I would recommend...and a limited list of hotels, which I'd group as follows:

The best: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia...These are very nice hotels and put you in the prime tourist location...

http://longbeach.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?null

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1003

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbrn-renaissance-long-beach-hotel/

http://www.aviahotels.com/hotels/longbeach/

Next tier: Hilton, Marriott Courtyard Downtown...possibly the Best Western Convention Center...These are not quite in the class of group A and not as well located, maybe just a couple of blocks less convenient...

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/LGBLHHF-Hilton-Long-Beach-Executive-Meeting-Center-California/index.do

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbcy-courtyard-long-beach-downtown/

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05642

Across the bridge: Residence Inn Downtown (not the one by the airport), Maya/Doubletree ...these are across the channel from Downtown Long Beach--on the same side as the Carnival dock, but away from the restaurants, shopping and attractions (Of course, you can always hop on the Passport shuttle--I'll get to that later)...a third hotel on that side...and right next to the Carnival pier...is the Queen Mary...I usually don't recommend it because it's sort of old and funky, but a lot of people like the "early cruise" experience...

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05642

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/LGBMYDT-Hotel-Maya-a-doubletree-hotel-California/index.do

http://www.queenmary.com/

DO NOT STRAY out of this area looking for "bargains" in the Long Beach area...bargains here are cheap for a reason--usually very poorly located in questionable neighborhoods--not the sort of places you'd want to stay...STICK TO THESE hotels...

Someone recently reported doing the Priceline thing here and getting the Westin for only $80 a night...Also, I don't know if the special is still on, but the Hilton had been running a special Carnival rate at something under $100 a night...

In the area of these hotels, the city has a FREE "Passport" shuttle which will take you from the hotels over to the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, Shoreline Vilalge and more...

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

If you're only spending a day, there are a number of things to see and do here to fill that day...and lots of restaurant choices...You don't have to leave the area...

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

http://www.shorelinevillage.com/

http://www.thepikeatlongbeach.com/

If you are spending two nights or more and want to do an organized tour up to LA and Hollywood (remember, Hollywood is about 32 miles away and you will likely want to steer clear of public transportation), there is one tour company--Sunseeker Tours--that does tours from Long Beach:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/

That should help you get started...

WOW that is a lot to take in. We just booked Splendor today for a Feb 6th sail date. We are from MN so traveling a day early is almost a must. We have been lucky and never had a issue traveling to Miami. We where ready to try something new. I admit I am very nervous seeing we where getting to know Miami well or at least well enough for a one night post cruise stay.

We are def. on a budget yet we want to feel safe especially since we are traveling w/ kids. I have not booked flights yet we are going to look into flying in either late Friday so we have all day Sat to explore or just fly in on Sat and be ready to catch out ship! We will have to sit down and factor prices when you ad air, hotel, food, attractions it can add up FAST for a extra day pre-cruise.

Thanks again....

WOW that is a lot to take in. We just booked Splendor today for a Feb 6th sail date. We are from MN so traveling a day early is almost a must. We have been lucky and never had a issue traveling to Miami. We where ready to try something new. I admit I am very nervous seeing we where getting to know Miami well or at least well enough for a one night post cruise stay.

We are def. on a budget yet we want to feel safe especially since we are traveling w/ kids. I have not booked flights yet we are going to look into flying in either late Friday so we have all day Sat to explore or just fly in on Sat and be ready to catch out ship! We will have to sit down and factor prices when you ad air, hotel, food, attractions it can add up FAST for a extra day pre-cruise.

Thanks again....

If you're flying out of Minneapolis, check Southwest. They're having a fare sale right now and are often the cheapest in/out of LAX. They don't fly to LGB, though.

Just wondering ..... are there any Extended Stay hotels in the LAX/long Beach area? We can get a free room there. Looks like we will more than likely getting in later on Sat and up and to the Port Sun. A FREE night would sure be nice!

Just wondering ..... are there any Extended Stay hotels in the LAX/long Beach area? We can get a free room there. Looks like we will more than likely getting in later on Sat and up and to the Port Sun. A FREE night would sure be nice!

There is one in the airport area, but I wouldn't recommend staying in this area, unless you have an early morning flight the next morning. There is one in Long Beach, but I would recommend you check Bruin Steve's info about LB hotels as this one isn't listed by him. There's also some in areas that are totally industrial or far from Long Beach.

I am guessing you won't have a car and will use a shuttle van to/from the airport. I don't think the saving of a "free" night would be worthwhile as you will still need a cab to get from one of these Extended Stay to the port. The Long Beach location is by the freeway/Long Beach airport and taxi fare will probably run you $30 to the Queen Mary. The other locations are even further in less than desirable locations.

You are better off just staying near the port in Long Beach. You can than take the free Passport bus over to the Queen Mary/Port area.

Thanks to Steve, we checked out the LB hotels on his short list and stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Long Beach. It was a flat rate of $23.00 from the LB airport to the hotel. It was wonderful - clean, comfortable, great view from an upper room, close to everything we wanted! Walking distance to Wal Mart and the best little breakfast place - the Omelette Inn. Even the locals lined up for this little gem.

We took the free shuttle bus to the Queen Mary and spent the better part of the day there. These red buses just make loops of the area - gosh, you could even take it to your pier since it's right next to the Queen Mary, but a cab would certainly be reasonable.

Have fun. :)

Actually, the Extended Stay America near LAX is in not too bad a location...it is NOT in the Century Blvd. Industrial area but up in Culver City on Sepulveda Blvd.:

6531 S. Sepulveda Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90045

Tel: (310) 568-9337 Fax: (310) 568-9349

Email: lax@extendedstay.com

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/property/Extended-Stay-America-los-angeles-lax-airport-hotel.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=6531+S.+Sepulveda+Blvd.,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90045&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.978077,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=6531+S+Sepulveda+Blvd,+Los+Angeles,+California+90045&ll=33.981161,-118.39542&spn=0.006441,0.01369&t=h&z=17

I actually like this area for those with an early flight out of LAX or with a late flight arriving...I, myself, stayed at the Four Points just across the 405 on my wedding night--prior to our flight out the next day for our hineymoon in Israel and Europe...

It's about 3 miles from LAX, but NORTH of the airport...I don't know if they provide a free shuttle--couldn't find it on their website, so you might need a taxi to the hotel and then a shuttle from the hotel to the pier the next morning (which shouldn't cost much more than the shuttle LAX to Long Beach you'd need anyway...)...

If that works out better for your budget and you are only staying the one night (actually doesn't work out badly if you were staying more than one since this hotel puts you closer to most of the LA tourist attractions), it may work out well for you...

Immediately next door to the hotel is one of my favorite dives--Dinah's (I actually eat here at least a couple of times a month when I visit my elderly mother who lives in Culver City):

http://www.dinahsrestaurant.com/

This is one of those zero ambiance, cheap comfort food restaurants that's a local tradition (I think I've been going there since I was a kid...I always get the complete Fried Chicken dinner for $12.50:

COMPLETE CHICKEN DINNER - (White w/Skin: 2 Breast, 1 wing) (Dark: 2 thighs, 1 leg) · Served with Soup or Salad, Two Sides, Roll, Banana bread & Choice of one: Soda, Coffee or Iced Tea $12.50 )

There's also a large complex across the street with shops, restaurants and an upscale multi-plex movie theater...

...and just across the freeway is a regional mall that's just undergone a major renovation...

there's an Albertson's supermarket about a block and a half away as well...

So, you just may want to consider this plan if you're coming in the day before the cruise with no time to really do any sightseeing:

Just catch a quick cab to the hotel (unless the hotel has a shuttle--which would be even better)...

Check in for your free night...

Take the family for a good, reasonably priced dinner at Dinah's...

Get a good night's sleep...

Wake up in the morning and have a shuttle arranged to take you to the pier...

Have fun...

Thanks Again Steve.

I finally got us flights on Southwest (thanks to whom ever suggested it, a little out of the way to go to MSP but worth the savings). We get into LAX about 530 pm on Sat. I figure by the time we get the luggage and off to a cab it will be time for dinner and bed. Then we will be up early to head to the pier.

We have a good friend who can normally hook us up w. a night @ Extended Stay ( and sister ) hotels. I would not say I'm cheap but I hate spending a lot of money for a room that we will be in for such a short time. But I do like to be be in a good part of town as well. Maybe we will go that route and save the $100+ for something more fun.

Thanks again!!!

...I, myself, stayed at the Four Points just across the 405 on my wedding night--prior to our flight out the next day for our hineymoon in Israel and Europe...

Terrible typo!!! Should have said "HONEYMOON" ;)

With that timeframe and a free room, you will definitely be okay with Extended Stay in Culver City...

You're going to end up with the same shuttle ride to Long Beach whether it be that night or in the morning...

Call or e-mail the hotel and ask about shuttles or other transportation from LAX to the hotel...

Figure about an hour (or more) depending on if the shuttle makes more stops to get to Long Beach and the pier in the morning...

Think the hubby has us booked at this hotel! We have stayed in some icky ones in Miami until we found a nice one last year. Now here we are in LA HAHA

I will get ahold of the hotel and see about a shuttle. If they dont offer would you suggest a cab? I have not looked into transportation to and from hotel then to port. I know in Fla it was a better deal to take the cab vs shuttle service. Since we could pay a flat rate for a cab vs per person in a shuttle.

I'm sorry I'm such a pain.....

I just checked Prime Time Shuttle since their site gives an easy fare quote...

http://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res?__utma=1.382884596.1290188944.1290188944.1290548106.2&__utmb=1.2.10.1290548106&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1290548106.2.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=prime%20time%20shuttle%20lax&__utmv=-&__utmk=88561947

Airport to Hotel for 4 is $42 one way...It's a 3 mile ride, I'm thinking a taxi would be cheaper...

This site:

http://la.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

...says a taxi should be about $17...

Prime Time Shuttle Hotel to Long Beach cruise pier: $64 in a shared van (would have been the same LAX to a Long Beach hotel), $75 private...

That taxi estimator site says $71 for a taxi from Extended Stays to the pier in Long Beach...

Of course, I don't know how accurate those things are, especially on long rides...

Hi, Bruin Steve, I have a question, sorry to butt in but it is related. I am also going RCL for 1 wk Dec 12 (with elderly parents) and want to know if Parking Concepts at $12 a day is the way to go and if they have a shuttle to take us to the ship. That is, if it is too far for my folks to walk. Tell me if you have a different, more convenient suggestion for pkg for a week near the terminal. Thank you so much.

BTW, fyi to whom it may interest: we 2 just took a private shuttle (not shared) from Celebrity (this past Sunday) for $42 (not including tip) with A1 Express shuttle (gotshuttledotcom) to Long Beach Airport to pick up our rental since the only rental car agency at LB port is closed on Sunday. Good deal, great job. Celebrity is next to RCL. At least it was on Sunday.

Hi' date=' Bruin Steve, I have a question, sorry to butt in but it is related. I am also going RCL for 1 wk Dec 12 (with elderly parents) and want to know if Parking Concepts at $12 a day is the way to go and if they have a shuttle to take us to the ship. That is, if it is too far for my folks to walk. Tell me if you have a different, more convenient suggestion for pkg for a week near the terminal. Thank you so much. [/quote']

Parking is, literally, right in front of the terminal...$12 per day...

You can pull right around to the front door of the terminal, drop your parents (and luggage) off right there, then circle around and find a parking space and WALK back over to the terminal...

prior to our flight out the next day for our hineymoon in Israel and Europe...

Terrible typo!!! Should have said "HONEYMOON" ;)

sorry to butt in

lol!! I see a trend emerging in this thread and I'm not sure I like where it's going!!! :D

I think we are set! We had a change in plans. I have some family from San Diego that are going to drive up and spend a night in a hotel w/ us so we can have a short visit. They suggested Courtyard that was in your second set of suggestions. I figured w/ 2 suggestions it must be alright. They sound familiar w/ this area.

I am now contacting different shuttle services to see rates from LAX to the hotel. I contacted Zippy, Prime Time and Super shuttle. Zippy has great rates! but I don't see much in recommendations on them. We will also need return service to the airport once the cruise is over.

I think we will just catch a cab to the port from the airport. Unless I can hitch a ride. I guess they only have a small car so it will mean a few trips.

I was just wondering are there any stores near buy to grab some pop, water and anything I may have forgotten? I'm sure my uncle would drive us somewhere but I hate to be a burden if we can walk.

I'm getting excited and nice to have a few things marked off the list. I just wish I had more time w/ the family. I should of thought of that before I booked airfare!

I was just wondering are there any stores near buy to grab some pop, water and anything I may have forgotten? I'm sure my uncle would drive us somewhere but I hate to be a burden if we can walk.

You can walk over to Long Beach Blvd and 4th St. There is an Albertsons supermarket, CVS pharmacy, and Starbuck in the same strip mall. A few more blocks over is a Walmart.

A big thank you to Steve for the helpful information. We booked the Residence Inn in Long Beach that he suggested for two nights in February as well as the Sunseeker tour. The reservation desk at Sunseeker confirmed they would pick us up at the hotel for the tour and gave high marks to the hotel. I appreciate all the CC input. I've not had a bad recommendation yet. :)

Now we're trying to work out transporation. We need to pick up a rental car at LAX on Friday to spend Fri/Sat driving part of the PCH (overnighting in Redondo Beach) then need to turn the car in in Long Beach Monday morning before the cruise. It looks like Enterprise has an office in Long Beach. Will call them tomorrow to see if they'll allow LAX to their office rentals and, if so, the best way to get from their office to the pier for sail away.

This is the most complicated cruise vacation I've tried to book and I haven't touched the San Diego weekend after we disembark... lol

Thanks for the recommendations and links, Bruin Steve. One more question:

I am trying to decide between the Hotel Maya, the Hilton, and the Queen Mary. My hope is to watch Carnival Splendor come into port. Do you know if the Maya or Hilton afford a view? I believe I read that that there is a view from the QM, but I'm not too keen on staying there. We only need a room for one night pre-cruise.

Thanks.

check out the map below:

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=queen+mary+map&fb=1&gl=us&hq=queen+mary&hnear=Long+Beach,+CA&cid=0,0,1746768905024829396&ei=7w_9TPC0M4jEsAO5-5n3DQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCUQnwIwAQ

The Carnival Dock is 90 degrees from the QM. Hotel Maya (which is now part of the Hilton Doubletree) is further inland at Queens Way and Harbor Scenic Drive. The Hilton is across the water on Ocean Between Magnolia and Golden Shore (closer to Golden Shore.)

I think only a higher floor room at the Hyatt Regency would offer a view of the ship docking. I don't think you would see it sailing in from the QM, unless you are out on the aft deck. In fact, if you click on Satellite View, you will see a Carnival ship in port.

• 2 weeks later...
I just checked Prime Time Shuttle since their site gives an easy fare quote...

http://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res?__utma=1.382884596.1290188944.1290188944.1290548106.2&__utmb=1.2.10.1290548106&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1290548106.2.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=prime%20time%20shuttle%20lax&__utmv=-&__utmk=88561947

Airport to Hotel for 4 is $42 one way...It's a 3 mile ride, I'm thinking a taxi would be cheaper...

This site:

http://la.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

Bruin Steve,

You have supplied so much helpful information. I was wondering if you knew the cost of a taxi from Long Beach airport to the San Pedro pier. There are three of us and I know a shuttle is $17 a person. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to share a taxi?

Carolyn

Archived