Trying to decide about Aruba Sunset Cruise

canadarocks

We will have a balcony on the port side of the Westerdam when we are docked in Aruba until 11:00 PM on a Monday night in March.

Right now I have a Sunset Cruise booked from 5:30 - 7:30 PM that is $59 a person which includes an open bar and snacks. We're doing a private island tour beforehand, and plan to be back at the ship at 4:45 PM.

Can we see the sunset from our balcony (or up on deck) as well as we will from a catamaran cruising along the coast? And will the Sunset Cruise be too crowded to enjoy? :eek:

Or is it great fun and a beautiful way to spend a few hours? :confused:

We will have a balcony on the port side of the Westerdam when we are docked in Aruba until 11:00 PM on a Monday night in March.

Right now I have a Sunset Cruise booked from 5:30 - 7:30 PM that is $59 a person which includes an open bar and snacks. We're doing a private island tour beforehand, and plan to be back at the ship at 4:45 PM.

Can we see the sunset from our balcony (or up on deck) as well as we will from a catamaran cruising along the coast? And will the Sunset Cruise be too crowded to enjoy? :eek:

I can't give you info about the tour, but the ship should be docked with its starboard (right) side facing southwest.

Sun will set about 6:50pm local time in march, and will be almost directly west. If you have an odd number cabin you should be able to see it just fine. Otherwise just go to any of the outside decks on the right side of the ship.

Attached a picture of the port. Normally you enter from the north (top left inn picture). The dock in the picture fits 2 ships, you may also be on the container pier (top left corner).

1040054517_Picture1.jpg.f5c05700f148bddf9971b1c665254c0a.jpg

Back in 2006 we took a sunset cruise in Aruba. It was really a booze cruise with lots of drinking and dancing. Lots of happy people stumbling back to their cabins that evening. Probably would not do it again, but at the time it was fun.

Back in 2006 we took a sunset cruise in Aruba. It was really a booze cruise with lots of drinking and dancing. Lots of happy people stumbling back to their cabins that evening. Probably would not do it again, but at the time it was fun.

Yay, someone with first hand experience! :cool:

It was on a HAL ship right?

How and what were the "snacks"?

Actually, it was my one and only RCCL cruise on Adventure OS. The excursion, offered by RCCL was a 2 hour catamaran sunset cruise departing at 5:00 p.m. I can't find any info as to who the tour operators were. We sailed very slowly away from the cruise ship dock, getting some really lovely photo ops of our ship. The crew was very pleasant and very generous with the offerings from the bar. I honestly don't remember what the snacks might have been. The pics my Sis took show that I had a really good time.;). I am older and wiser now.:D

Actually, it was my one and only RCCL cruise on Adventure OS. The excursion, offered by RCCL was a 2 hour catamaran sunset cruise departing at 5:00 p.m. I can't find any info as to who the tour operators were. We sailed very slowly away from the cruise ship dock, getting some really lovely photo ops of our ship. The crew was very pleasant and very generous with the offerings from the bar. I honestly don't remember what the snacks might have been. The pics my Sis took show that I had a really good time.;). I am older and wiser now.:D

Aw, now here you got me all excited for a fun HAL Sunset Cruise ;)!

We did the sunset catamaran sail on our last cruise and it was wonderful!

As mentioned above, we sailed away from the HAL Ships (2) in port and got some wonderful photos both as we left and as we came back into port. The catamaran has a limit of the number of people and of course they like to be full- but it was great! the bar with rum punch, or beer, champagne and the snacks were the usual bar snacks. I would say you you would see the sunset better from the catamaran! Also, we had an awesome crew and music and everyone was dancing.....it was great!

As mentioned above, we sailed away from the HAL Ships (2) in port and got some wonderful photos both as we left and as we came back into port. The catamaran has a limit of the number of people and of course they like to be full- but it was great! the bar with rum punch, or beer, champagne and the snacks were the usual bar snacks. I would say you you would see the sunset better from the catamaran! Also, we had an awesome crew and music and everyone was dancing.....it was great!

Awesome! Thanks!! :D

• 4 years later...

Because of mobility issues, I have to wear shoes. Is this allowed on the sunset cruise? Last time on a catamaran in St. Thomas, it was barefoot only.

Because of mobility issues, I have to wear shoes. Is this allowed on the sunset cruise? Last time on a catamaran in St. Thomas, it was barefoot only.

I took this excursion two years ago and enjoyed the cool breeze and the sunset. There was about a 100-yard walk to the docking location of the catamaran. The catamaran had plenty of room to move around or sunbathe on the bow. It was a very hot and humid day so watching the sunset in a nice breeze was better than just staying on our verandah.

The catamaran headed north out of the harbor and remained about half-mile from the coast. As a photographer, I took lots of images of the sunset but was not close enough to shore to get really good shots. The rum punch flowed freely and caused some difficulty for inebriated passengers stepping onto the pier when we docked.

I did take a picture from the catamaran as it docked after the excursion:

pc020051-2.jpg

I enjoyed myself and would recommend this low-cost way to see the sunset in a relaxed atmosphere.

Shoes were welcome on board.

Edited by Crew News