Helsinki

maggie3

Hi Ultima,

We are aboard the Celebrity Eclipse docking in Helsinki in late May. I have been pouring over the various posts which discuss transportation from this dock to Market Sq. Nothing seems easy!! The Eclipse may offer a shuttle; however, we'd rather not stand in line for that. Can you tell me the approximate cost of a shared cab/distance from LMA to Market Sq., and are they available dockside? Thank you, Carolyn. :confused:

Hi Ultima,

We are aboard the Celebrity Eclipse docking in Helsinki in late May. I have been pouring over the various posts which discuss transportation from this dock to Market Sq. Nothing seems easy!! The Eclipse may offer a shuttle; however, we'd rather not stand in line for that. Can you tell me the approximate cost of a shared cab/distance from LMA to Market Sq., and are they available dockside?

Hi Carolyn,

Regarding costs , see post #67 in this thread.

The distance is approx 3.7 km (2.3 miles)

Have not been there when a ship arrives so I cannot comment on availability but taxis use to appear where potential customers might be found.

For ordering a taxi, see:

http://www.taksihelsinki.fi/htdeng/page1.aspx

Also want to add that, from what I have seen, shuttle traffic seems to be quite well organized, and it is not unusual to see up to six buses serving one ship (buses use to be numbered).

• 2 weeks later...
Hernesaari - which tram or bus stop is this on the Heslinki Map?

Hernesaari (pea island) and Munkkisaari (Monk's island) are two former islands that now forms a peninsula that includes the ship yard and

cruise ship quays LHB and LHC. Hernesaari is supported by bus 14B and 16 and has four stops, especially

"Hernesaaren laituri" for quay LHC and "Matalasalmenkuja" for quay LHB. Nearest tram stop is "Telakkakatu", usually the turning point for tram 1b but

this summer the turning point for tram 3b instead.

Its about 0.65 miles (quay LHB) or 1 mile (quay LHC) walk from the ship to the tram stop. About 500 yards (quay LHB) or 150 yards (quay LHC) walk to the bus stops.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=129%3A1%3A1014B+%3A20100526%3A&keya=Kalevankatu&line=&a=11429&aa=&an=15&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551547&py=6671890&ppx=2552164&ppy=6673186&zx=2551547&zy=6671890&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=16&x=300&y=300&width=600&height=400&nc=1

http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/Ratikat_kesa2011_semanttinen.pdf

I have been reading and doing research on all the options for seeing Helsinki and have decided to take a 3 hour city tour offered by SPB Tours. They take you to all the "highlights" of the city in 3 hours for about $20. Then we still have 4 hours to do the market or other parts of the city on our own. Getting the history narration on a bus tour will give us the insight of the city and then we explore on our own. I mention this because I have not seen this metioned on this thread and it is another option to explore Helsinki!

I have been reading and doing research on all the options for seeing Helsinki and have decided to take a 3 hour city tour offered by SPB Tours. They take you to all the "highlights" of the city in 3 hours for about $20. Then we still have 4 hours to do the market or other parts of the city on our own. Getting the history narration on a bus tour will give us the insight of the city and then we explore on our own. I mention this because I have not seen this metioned on this thread and it is another option to explore Helsinki!

I'm sure it is a great tour, but the SPB Tours Helsinki bus tour is actually 35 Euros which is closer to $50 per person.

Archived