Helsinki

maggie3

Helsinki is beautiful!

It is walking distance, if you like long walks and have a lot of time! But there is a bus (26T from memory) that stops right outside the crusie terminal, and delivers you to right opposite Market Square. It is really handy, and it is easy to get around Helsinki.

I personally wouldn't bother with a taxi, unless you think you won't be able to cope with buses.

If I may offer a slightly different opinion. When we docked, we wanted to do the bus also, along with hundreds of others from the ship. the bus was swamped and only takes Euro's. Since we didn't want to deal with the crowds, we opted to share a taxi to Market Square. It cost us about 10 Euros each couple (2 couples) and we were there in about 10 minutes and the driver gave us some great info on how to see the city.

Yes the bus is cheaper but a taxi, for us, was much more convenient.

Helsinki is a marvelous city to see and, like said, very easy to get around in. Most of the sights are around Market Square, so that has to be your starting point. From there you can walk to Senate square, take a ferry to the fortress, wander about the many, many booths, shopping, having something to eat etc. From market square you can also catch the 3T tram which will do a sort of loop around Helsinki enabling you to see other things, and get to the church in the Rock, if you so desire.

Here are a few of my pix of Helsinki to help get you interested.

The Lutheran Church in Senate Square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

Inside the Church In The Rock

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1107.jpg

Market Square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

Uspensky Orthodox Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1135.jpg

Some of the wondefful food being prepared in Market Square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1146.jpg

View from the ferry going to the fortress,

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1121.jpg

You will love Helsinki

Cheers

Len

Is the town of Helsinki right by the cruise pier? Is the historic center within walking distance? Would we need to hire a taxi to get to the historic center?

There are piers nearby town center but only for smaller ships.

Ships the size of NCL Sun will dock at West Harbour (Hernesaari), the odds are at quay LHC, 1 2/3 miles from downtown (where ship shuttle bus will take you). Then there is another 1/3 mile along the Esplanade Park to Market Square/historical center for a total of 2 Miles.

Local bus 16 will take you from the quay through downtown to Market Square.

Local bus 14B that will take you from the quay into town passing the rock church is a possible alternative if you just keep track of where you are.

Quay LHB is a bit closer to town than quay LHC and is served by the same busses.

With bad luck the ship will dock at quay LMA on other side of bay from where there are no local busses.

See also:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

Nice to see Helsinki getting a bit of well-deserved publicity on here. For day visitors like us there's easily enough to occupy the time, as Len makes clear.

Helsinkihttp://

About 900,000 p.a. take the ferry to Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland)http://

If you want to do this (highly recommended) set aside about 2 and a half hours, which includes the time needed to get there and back. The ferry ride takes about 12 minutes and the service operates every 15 minutes.

Tony

Constellation's shuttle dropped off on Erottajankatu at the corner of Bulevardi, just south of the Swedish Theatre and about a block and a half to Stockmann's department store.

If you walk from the Harbor, once you leave the dock area and turn right toward the city, you are in a lovely neighborhood called Eira, full of nordic art nouveau architecture. If you turn left on Laivuninkatu and walk two long blocks to Tehtaankatu, you can pick up the 3B city loop tram to Market Square (where it magically becomes a 3T).

Don't miss the train station, and think of what kind of impression it must have made in 1909, when it was built. Still handsome today. And if you eat at Kappeli's cafe at the end of the Esplanade, just before the harbor, go left for the cafeteria line, quite good and not too expensive. If you turn right at the entrance, there is a fancier waiter-service resturant. Either way, take a look at the late 19th century building.

We were on Sun this year

We caught the bus in and walked back. We were aware that we needed some Finnish currency (alerted on these boards) so we bought some prior to arrival. Believe it was in the cruise terminal in Dover (no commission charged and good rate).

Yes, a lot of people were there but we got on that first bus. Be aware that the concept of queueing seems alien to some people. We were the third and fourth people to get to the bus stop but it stopped some metres from us and a lot of people (Europeans all) just piled on in front of us earlier arrivals.

A couple of Kiwis and some Poms we were with grabbed us and literally pushed there way through and said "wait your turn". The faces of the 'offenders' were hilarious

We had researched Helsinki and knew exactly what we were going to do.

As soon as we got off the bus we headed for the ferry out to the fort. Spent a good couple of hours out there. Got back, wandered around to the yacht harbour, back to the markets for lunch (delicious), on to the 3T bus for a circuit of the city, then to my 'must see' the design museum (I studied design at university).

Then we had a leisurely stroll back to the ship soaking in the wonderful buildings, glorious weather and views out across the water.

Guide v on-your-own? If you are prepared there is no way you couldn't pack in a lot (like we did) as Helsinki is a such an easy city to get around. If you don't like researching/planning then a private guide will guarantee that you will see as much as you want in the available time in port.

Detailed description of our day in Helsinki plus lots of pictures and the rest of our cruise can be found in our travelpod blog (link below). It's the Old Blighty one

pete

To follow-up the various comments and questions, YES, there are lots of options to consider for Helsinki. The main docking area is at some distance from the main market area with its nearby attractions. You can walk it, but I don't know that it would be the most time-efficient way to experience this interesting city. Helsinki does not have the centuries of Royal heritage and architecture that you will see in Copenhagen, St. Petersburg and Stockholm. Below are some of my visuals samples for what might be of most interest there.

We also did a tour outside of town to the country home for the famed Finnish architect Eliel Saarinen at Hvittrask with its buildings made of natural stones and logs from the surrounding area. He was the father of the famed American architect who designed the St. Louis Gateway Arch, Dulles and JFK TWA terminals, CBS Black Rock building, etc. In Helsinki, our tour also passed the Saarinen designed train station, Olympic Stadium, used for the 1952 Olympic Games and the statue of the "Flying Finn", runner Paavo Nurmi, and visited the park with the stainless steel monument for composer Jean Sibelius, a patriot whose most famous orchestral piece was appropriately named Finlandia. The market area is a must-see for great "walking-around" sights and options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design.:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

Overlooking Helsinki's Senate Square, this is the Lutheran Church with its dome that is a key local landmark:

1A-Helsinki-Sen.jpg

Helsinki’s main market is right on the water with lots of goods and foods for sale:

1A-Helsinki-Mark-Dwt.jpg

This Helsinki park has a stainless steel sculpture dedicated to composer Sibelius who is best-known for his symphonic work:

1A-HelsinkiParkSculpture.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the market area:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a Hop on Hop Off bus in Helsinki? We love those. We see so much, most come to the dock where the ship is and we come back, have lunch and then out again. A good an frugal way to see so much. Lots of commentary on those earphones too.

Is there a Hop on Hop Off bus in Helsinki? We love those. We see so much, most come to the dock where the ship is and we come back, have lunch and then out again. A good an frugal way to see so much. Lots of commentary on those earphones too.

Joanna

To be honest, I do NOT remember seeing them, or even hearing about them in Helsinki. They do have the tram that is basically the same thing. You buy a day pass and you can ride all the trams, get off when you want, get back on, switch to a different line, all for the price of the one day ticket. The tram does a sort of figure 8 around Helsinki,and covers most all the main tourist attractions. But you have to get to Market Square to get the tram.

http://www.travelertour.com/finland/helsinki-tram-tour.html

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ZH0rcrivKeMJ:www.hel.fi/wps/wcm/connect/8477a4804a17377d9402fc3d8d1d4668/Kolmosesite_englanti.pdf%3FMOD%3DAJPERES+helsinki+tram+routes&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgW9ckhFn0u1vYb-5kx2YwL1tMWPvnrg6FQcSrbsaxzkJjV9_ReEGsshWtUD7d6u3d_uT7K028pGBdTj0-9OW-OgWiBOXTsEHI7rhPL8pmS7nbTqX1CHYKiqIZaGtz_7XlZ9AL7&sig=AHIEtbTl02h93phlc3Nqrp14uHi9KeLjGg

Cheers

Len

But you have to get to Market Square to get the tram.

Not really, since you can get on and get off at any stop; there is no commentary. You can pick up an annotated route map at any tourist information center, or download it here. If your shuttle bus drops you at Bulevardi and Erottajanku as ours did, then getting on at stop 29 on that map may make more sense. But do get off at Market Square and wander around; where else can you buy unique Finnish souvenirs and craft goods while munching reindeer sausage?

One other tip; the more modern trams have huge glass windows, and if an older tram comes by, it is worth waiting for a more modern 3T/3B (same trip, same tram, just the sign on the front changes). They run very frequently, maybe 5-10 minutes between trams.

We were on Sun this year

We caught the bus in and walked back. We were aware that we needed some Finnish currency (alerted on these boards) so we bought some prior to arrival. Believe it was in the cruise terminal in Dover (no commission charged and good rate).

Yes, a lot of people were there but we got on that first bus. Be aware that the concept of queueing seems alien to some people. We were the third and fourth people to get to the bus stop but it stopped some metres from us and a lot of people (Europeans all) just piled on in front of us earlier arrivals.

A couple of Kiwis and some Poms we were with grabbed us and literally pushed there way through and said "wait your turn". The faces of the 'offenders' were hilarious

We had researched Helsinki and knew exactly what we were going to do.

As soon as we got off the bus we headed for the ferry out to the fort. Spent a good couple of hours out there. Got back, wandered around to the yacht harbour, back to the markets for lunch (delicious), on to the 3T bus for a circuit of the city, then to my 'must see' the design museum (I studied design at university).

Then we had a leisurely stroll back to the ship soaking in the wonderful buildings, glorious weather and views out across the water.

Guide v on-your-own? If you are prepared there is no way you couldn't pack in a lot (like we did) as Helsinki is a such an easy city to get around. If you don't like researching/planning then a private guide will guarantee that you will see as much as you want in the available time in port.

Detailed description of our day in Helsinki plus lots of pictures and the rest of our cruise can be found in our travelpod blog (link below). It's the Old Blighty one

pete

I don't understand the highlighted comment, Finland has been on the euro since 2002.

Kirk

You can always pay with Visa or Mastercard too. Many locals don't even use cash since those plastic cards go everywhere. Even taxis and most of the market vendors offer that option.

You just have to check with your bank to see if there are extra costs for paying abroad. For my cards these are something like 2 %.

You can always pay with Visa or Mastercard too. Many locals don't even use cash since those plastic cards go everywhere. Even taxis and most of the market vendors offer that option.

You just have to check with your bank to see if there are extra costs for paying abroad. For my cards these are something like 2 %.

As we have said many times on this board, there are credit cards, like CapitalOne that have NO, ZERO, Nada charges for foreign transactions. We got that card specifically for our trip, and used it extensively. there are a few others out there, but the CapitalOne card is by far the most popular.

One thing though, you cannot charge a public bathroom if you ahve to go. There is usually a small coin charge to use most public facilities, so make sure you do have some change for this. it may sound silly, but it is not.

Helsinki is a very modern European City. Probably more so than any of the other ports you will visit. As was said, the tram will take you around, but get out and walk also. they ahve a very upscale section with all modern stores and great shopping.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1160.jpg

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Len

The site address is www.opentoptours.com

You might find this link http://www.destination-helsinki.com a bit more useful.

Around the Market Square and the Esplanade the bus can get stuck in traffic, and people on foot get around faster. But it will take you out to Temppeliaukio Church and the Sibelius monument, which are outside the central area.

I don't understand the highlighted comment, Finland has been on the euro since 2002.

Kirk

that maybe Kirk but we read to have Finnish currency with us here on cc. I didn't notice any prices in euros anywhere we went - shops, cafes, museums etc although possibly if we'd asked they would have accepted

maybe one of our Finnish members can clarify for us

pete

that maybe Kirk but we read to have Finnish currency with us here on cc. I didn't notice any prices in euros anywhere we went - shops, cafes, museums etc although possibly if we'd asked they would have accepted

pete

:confused: We used Euros only during our several day land trip visit to Helsinki three years ago. The restaurants, public transportation and tourist sites we visited all quoted everything to us in Euros, the ATM's we utilized all spit out Euros, and all price signage was in Euros. Perhaps the reference is to the fact that the surrounding Scandinavian countries (Sweden and Denmark) plus Russia all still use there own currencies?

pete

I'm Finnish and I can confirm that everything in Finland has been in euros since 2002. You either use euros in cash or use your credit cards, which are accepted nearly everywhere (even in the market stalls).

Can't argue with one who lives right there.:):):)

When we went, we changed monies for 4 different currencies,

Pounds

Euros

Danish Kroners

Swedish Kroners.

We spent a week in England, so the pounds went very quickly.

We wanted to use the correct currencies for each country we were in, to give us more of a feel of being there.

So, I know form a fact that we used euros in Helsinki.

Cheers

Len

Archived