Helsinki

maggie3

Hubby and I try to experience each ocean/sea. This is our first opportunity to experience the Baltic Sea.I think I read that Helsinki has nice public beaches? We are going in July, I would like to visit the beach and dip our toes in the Baltic Sea. Any advice please.

There are some beach options in the Baltics. BUT, the bigger question is whether it is worth the time and effort to get there. And, then there is the weather!!?? On a typical day in the Baltics during the middle of the summer, it might reach a "high" of 70-72F in the mid afternoon. Mornings and early afternoons, will, generally, be cooler, on good days. That's not really good beach weather. This is not the Greek Isles.

Then, there's the logistics to get there and back. With so much great architecture, history, culture, food, shopping, art, etc., in the Baltics, I would focus FIRST on those super-stars that are more easily available in these various cities and ports during your limited time there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Of course we wouldn't spend the entire day getting to and from the beach. . . But experiencing different oceans are part of our "bucket list". . . Is it the first thing on the list, no, but hanging out with the Finnish people at the beach would be a worthwhile endeavor to us. So, if there is a beach within walking distance of the ship or market square that would be something we would be interested in.

Of course we wouldn't spend the entire day getting to and from the beach. . . But experiencing different oceans are part of our "bucket list". . . Is it the first thing on the list, no, but hanging out with the Finnish people at the beach would be a worthwhile endeavor to us. So, if there is a beach within walking distance of the ship or market square that would be something we would be interested in.

Not sure about the beach bit but it would be easy enough to go swimming amongst the small islands of Suomenlinna

Worth sticking a towel and costume in the bag if you go there ? You can chat with the picnickers afterwards.

Thank you! We already planned on going to Suomenlinna. What a wonderful video you made. From what I read it is easy to get to Suomenlinna by ourselves, correct?

Not sure about the beach bit but it would be easy enough to go swimming amongst the small islands of Suomenlinna

Worth sticking a towel and costume in the bag if you go there ? You can chat with the picnickers afterwards.

Terry has given you some great advice. The Baltics aren't really about beaches, sun and surf. They are about history, art, and a completely different culture from what most Americans know about. That said, if going to the beach is on your 'bucket list' I say go for it. That is what life is all about. We have certain things that make life worthwhile and accomplishing them makes it even better.

When we were in London, one thing I always wanted to see was Stonehenge. It was, as we say, on my bucket list. We made sure we got there, even if it cost us a day of our time, but being there, even for a short period was so worth it. We may have missed other things by going to Stonehenge, but who cares if this was what WE wanted to do and see. If going to the Ocean is your thing and will make your trip that much better, even if it is an effort to do it, gop for it.

Cheers

Len

Thank you! We already planned on going to Suomenlinna. What a wonderful video you made. From what I read it is easy to get to Suomenlinna by ourselves, correct?

It could hardly be easier ! The ferry leaves Market Square every 15 minutes and the ride over takes about 12 minutes.

If you buy the one-day transport ticket (about 7 Euros) you can use it for the all your tram, bus and ferry travel. I hope the sun shines on you that day as I'm not sure how warm the water will be :D

All the best, Tony

All we want to do is stick our feet in the Baltic. If it isn't raining, we will do it.:) Now we know it is possible.

It could hardly be easier ! The ferry leaves Market Square every 15 minutes and the ride over takes about 12 minutes.

If you buy the one-day transport ticket (about 7 Euros) you can use it for the all your tram, bus and ferry travel. I hope the sun shines on you that day as I'm not sure how warm the water will be :D

All the best, Tony

Len, I hope you are watching the Jets game later. My hubby is a disgruntled Giants fan all the way, so if he curses I know that the Jets are winning. btw, do you shop at Best Yet or Stop and Shop? Maybe we passed each other. lol

Terry has given you some great advice. The Baltics aren't really about beaches, sun and surf. They are about history, art, and a completely different culture from what most Americans know about. That said, if going to the beach is on your 'bucket list' I say go for it. That is what life is all about. We have certain things that make life worthwhile and accomplishing them makes it even better.

When we were in London, one thing I always wanted to see was Stonehenge. It was, as we say, on my bucket list. We made sure we got there, even if it cost us a day of our time, but being there, even for a short period was so worth it. We may have missed other things by going to Stonehenge, but who cares if this was what WE wanted to do and see. If going to the Ocean is your thing and will make your trip that much better, even if it is an effort to do it, gop for it.

Cheers

Len

Check this one out then:

http://www.hel.fi/hki/Liv/en/sports+facilities/beaches/hietaranta

and this is what wikipedia says about the same beach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hietaniemi_beach

["Hietaranta" (Sand Beach) is the name of the beach itself while "Heitaniemi" (Sand Point) is the name of the district]

We arrive West Harbor LHB on a Tuesday. What is the cost of a cab or van to market square? The bus will probably be a zoo as we leave the ship.

The town seems walkable. How do you recommend getting to the Rock Church.

Dave

Hello Dave

You could walk from Market Square (20 minutes) or take the famous 3T tram.

All the best, Tony

Thanks! The tram ticket is 1.8 euro good for an hour. Is this long enough to see the Rock church and return on the same ticket. If you know where the tram station is from the Market Square please advise.

Dave

Thanks! The tram ticket is 1.8 euro good for an hour. Is this long enough to see the Rock church and return on the same ticket. If you know where the tram station is from the Market Square please advise.

Dave

Hello Dave

Actually 'seeing' the Rock Church could be done in less than 10 minutes (look at the start of this

if you want a preview) so you could get there and back in under an hour on that single ticket. However, as Ultima's post no 35 infers, much better, and to prevent you worrying about clockwatching, will be to buy the one-day ticket for 7 Euros, which lets you ride everything all day.

So you could get out at the Rock Church, then get back on and go to Sibelius Monument, Olympic Stadium etc, then back to Market Square and get a ferry to Suomenlinna or wherever.

That tram route runs clockwise and anticlockwise all the time. I bought my transport ticket at a 7-11 type shop at Market Square.

There is a very good Tourist Information Centre at Market Square who can advise about exactly which tram stops you need to look out for. Once on the tram a flashing display as you approach the stops makes it pretty much idiot- proof (which was handy for me).

Helsinki is a great day, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tony

Hello Dave

Actually 'seeing' the Rock Church could be done in less than 10 minutes (look at the start of this

if you want a preview) so you could get there and back in under an hour on that single ticket. However, as Ultima's post no 35 infers, much better, and to prevent you worrying about clockwatching, will be to buy the one-day ticket for 7 Euros, which lets you ride everything all day.

So you could get out at the Rock Church, then get back on and go to Sibelius Monument, Olympic Stadium etc, then back to Market Square and get a ferry to Suomenlinna or wherever.

That tram route runs clockwise and anticlockwise all the time. I bought my transport ticket at a 7-11 type shop at Market Square.

There is a very good Tourist Information Centre at Market Square who can advise about exactly which tram stops you need to look out for. Once on the tram a flashing display as you approach the stops makes it pretty much idiot- proof (which was handy for me).

Helsinki is a great day, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tony

Thanks: Will do more research in what we may want to see while in Helsinki. We have 7-8 hrs to visit so I will see what we should do in that timeframe.

Dave

We arrive West Harbor LHB on a Tuesday. What is the cost of a cab or van to market square? The bus will probably be a zoo as we leave the ship.

The town seems walkable. How do you recommend getting to the Rock Church.

Dave

If I am not mistaken, the tram doesn't stop by this pier. We also had the same problem as you anticipate. When we left the ship, there is about a 3 block walk to the bus stop. When we got there it was a mob scene. A coiuple approached us and asked if we wanted to share a cab. Sure we agreed and in a 10 minute ride we were in Market Square. i cost us about 6-7 euro's each coiuple for ther ride, and well worth it.

It can be walked, but for that amount of money, it was easier and quicker to taker the taxi.

Cheers

Len

We arrive West Harbor LHB on a Tuesday. What is the cost of a cab or van to market square?

Unlike for example Stockholm, taxi costs in Helsinki are standardised:

Basic fee: Mon-Sat 6 am - 8 pm and holidays 6.30 Euro. Nights and Sundays 8.30 Euro.

Ordering a taxi more than 30 min before the trip: 6.40 Euro.

Standing waiting: 39.50 Euro per hour.

1-2 persons: 1.39 Euro/km

3-4 persons: 1.67 Euro/km

5-6 persons 1.81 Euro/km

>6 persons: 1.94 Euro/km

Two kids younger than 12 years should be counted as one adult.

Thanks to all of you for your advice concerning Helsinki. I found the ability to secure brochures from Helsinki and just received them. The map included is quite complete and will be very helpful.

Dave

Thanks to all of you for your advice concerning Helsinki. I found the ability to secure brochures from Helsinki and just received them. The map included is quite complete and will be very helpful.

Dave

Hi again: Figuring costs for our visit. Is the city ticket 2.5 euro/pp and entitles us full day on trams, buses and ferry to Suomenlinna.

If not which ticket should we secure to cover trams and ferry and what is the 2011 cost.

Dave

Hi again: Figuring costs for our visit. Is the city ticket 2.5 euro/pp and entitles us full day on trams, buses and ferry to Suomenlinna.

If not which ticket should we secure to cover trams and ferry and what is the 2011 cost.

Dave

No thats the single (1 hour) ticket. The day ticket costs 7 Euro.

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/ticketsandfares/prices/Pages/internaltickets.aspx

No thats the single (1 hour) ticket. The day ticket costs 7 Euro.

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/ticketsandfares/prices/Pages/internaltickets.aspx

Ultima,

I just found and printed the map for us to get from LMA to downtown (via either tram#6 or tram #8). I assume that we will need 7 euros apiece to board the tram. Will this one-day ticket allow us to ride the 3B/3T to ride around the city and ferry over to Soumenlinna; or will we have to purchase a separate ticket to do the figure-8 sightseeing loops? Thank you for your time. Carolyn

Dear Ultima Thule,

As you are a resident of Finland, could you foresee that being the first day that the Rock Church is opened after major repairs on 1st June, 2011 that it would be a big occassion and impossible to see? Would there be a lot of fanfare about the re-opening? Any insight would be helpful. Cheers Karen

Ultima,

I just found and printed the map for us to get from LMA to downtown (via either tram#6 or tram #8). I assume that we will need 7 euros apiece to board the tram. Will this one-day ticket allow us to ride the 3B/3T to ride around the city and ferry over to Soumenlinna; or will we have to purchase a separate ticket to do the figure-8 sightseeing loops? Thank you for your time. Carolyn

Hello Carolyn

That 7 euro one-day ticket is good for the 3B/3T trams, and buses and the ferry to the Fortress, (maybe trains too) so no need for separate tickets, just that one.

Tony

Hello Carolyn

That 7 euro one-day ticket is good for the 3B/3T trams, and buses and the ferry to the Fortress, (maybe trains too) so no need for separate tickets, just that one.

Tony

Thats correct. Trams, busses, the ferry to the fortress, commuter trains as long as they stay inside the city limits, and subway but the train and subway routes are such that they are of little use for most tourists. The 3T/3B are ordinary tram lines but recommended for the tourist because the conveniant route through downtown.

Dear Ultima Thule,

As you are a resident of Finland, could you foresee that being the first day that the Rock Church is opened after major repairs on 1st June, 2011 that it would be a big occassion and impossible to see? Would there be a lot of fanfare about the re-opening? Any insight would be helpful. Cheers Karen

I don't think there would be any major problem for you to visit the church that day.

Archived