Glaciers Question...

kerryw29

So my hubby, and my inlaws and I are scheduled for an Alaska Cruise for next year.

We will be on DIamond Princess. We are doing 3 days on land pre-cruise (Fairbanks, Denali, Mt. McKinley). THen the Cruise: Hubbard Glacier Cruising, Glacier Bay Cruising, Skagway, Juneau, and then KEtchikan.

My question is this. I want to do something with a glacier. Ideally I would fly to one (Via plane or helicopter (though I hav enever been on an helicopter). My inlaws both have mobility issues and my FIL is over 250 pounds. My husband is over 250 lbs as well. We were originally thinking of booking THe Glacier Adventure by Helicopter in Juneau - but are now thinking of not doing it. THe Princess site says there is no weight restriction. FIL and MIL both have mobility issues - I don't really know how feasible it is to think they will do this. IN reality we have 20 minutes on the glacier. MIL has had 2 knee replacements. ANd FIL generally doesn't walk well. We are getting him a cane - and he may have to use a cart or wheelchair on this trip. FInancially it is tight to swing this trip. I don't want ot cough up the cash if FIL will have issues getting around.

My other thought is MEndenhall we can drive/ride too - can you actually walk on the glacier if you so choose? IF so how far is the walk? how strenuous is the walk.

With the glacier touring we have on the ship - will I feel glacierly satisfied? Do I really need to walk on one to feel like I have actually had a good glacier experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

If you google mendenhall visitor center, there is quite a bit of information on the web site.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml

Hard to know if you will be 'glacially satisfied'. Most people are awe struck by viewing Glacier Bay. I was; listening and watching the calving, watching the swells, the colors, the icebergs, it's pretty incredible. And you're going to Hubbard as well! I found it amazing to stand next to a glacier. I have no desire to walk on one, or land on one. But that's me.

Most people who visit Alaska and many people who live in Alaska never actually walk on a glacier and live happy lives.

Your land tour will be a big rush so don't make your cruise into more of the same.

Spending more money than makes sense also will add to your stress. I would stick with admiring glaciers and do a tour or just a plain visit to Mendenhall and call it a day.

Your cruisetour is extremely short, hopefully you have the tundra wilderness tour included, otherwise you are missing out on a significant highlight of Alaska. ALL helicopter companies have a surcharge for over 250 lbs. Not sure of your post? Since you have so many "doubts" listed in your post, I think it isn't an option for your group. But why not split up?

Going back and forth to Mendenhall will give you a good cheap glacier look. Look for a car rental, the walk to photo point is short.

If you have mobility issues, your best bet is probably one of the day boat trips into Prince William Sound from Whittier. The Diamond Princess arrives/departs from Whittier and you could book a trip directly through the cruise line.

If you choose to do it on your own, there are three large companies that all do an excellent job:

Prince William Sound Cruises: http://www.princewilliamsound.com

26 Glaciers Cruises: http://www.26glaciers.com

Major Marine Cruises: http://www.majormarine.com

If you have mobility issues, your best bet is probably one of the day boat trips into Prince William Sound from Whittier. The Diamond Princess arrives/departs from Whittier and you could book a trip directly through the cruise line.

If you choose to do it on your own, there are three large companies that all do an excellent job:

Prince William Sound Cruises: http://www.princewilliamsound.com

26 Glaciers Cruises: http://www.26glaciers.com

Major Marine Cruises: http://www.majormarine.com

Unfortunately they are on a cruisetour, which, as it is is too short, and they certainly will be arriving Whittier, late. They aren't going to have any option to add this wonderful boat tour.

Well, the description says that tour can take people with wheelchairs AND no weight surcharge so they have figured out a way to make it work. Maybe call Princess and ask for more details. Otherwise, go yourself or with your husband, you don't need to stay together all the time.

I am not sure what you mean by cart but if it is a choice between electric and fold up wheelchair you will have an easier time getting around on land with the fold up wheelchair because you can rent a car and put it in the trunk. Also, shore excursion companies can much more easily take a fold up wheelchair over an electric cart. I used to travel a lot with someone in a wheel chair, we could do almost anything. I have not pushed a wheelchair on a glacier but I have in the snow (not very deep) and it was ok.

You can rent a car to go to Mendenhall or take a shuttle. We did a rental car and it was great. You cannot walk out on the glacier, you see it across a lake. The visitor center is wheelchair accessible and you can see the glacier from there. There are a couple of short walks but for people with mobility issues who are walking that should be OK, not sure about with a wheelchair. I would not take the hike to the falls, it was muddy, wet and water flowing in places. Your in laws can wait in the visitor center while you walk out to the falls. My mom and her friend went part way and didn't like that we had to keep going through shallow water so they went back to the visitor center and waited for us there.

I did not walk on a glacier. I wanted to but I don't want to fly in a helicopter so I didn't do it. I still had a fantastic trip.

Jen in SoCal

So my hubby, and my inlaws and I are scheduled for an Alaska Cruise for next year.

We will be on DIamond Princess. We are doing 3 days on land pre-cruise (Fairbanks, Denali, Mt. McKinley). THen the Cruise: Hubbard Glacier Cruising, Glacier Bay Cruising, Skagway, Juneau, and then KEtchikan.

My question is this. I want to do something with a glacier. Ideally I would fly to one (Via plane or helicopter (though I hav enever been on an helicopter). My inlaws both have mobility issues and my FIL is over 250 pounds. My husband is over 250 lbs as well. We were originally thinking of booking THe Glacier Adventure by Helicopter in Juneau - but are now thinking of not doing it. THe Princess site says there is no weight restriction. FIL and MIL both have mobility issues - I don't really know how feasible it is to think they will do this. IN reality we have 20 minutes on the glacier. MIL has had 2 knee replacements. ANd FIL generally doesn't walk well. We are getting him a cane - and he may have to use a cart or wheelchair on this trip. FInancially it is tight to swing this trip. I don't want ot cough up the cash if FIL will have issues getting around.

My other thought is MEndenhall we can drive/ride too - can you actually walk on the glacier if you so choose? IF so how far is the walk? how strenuous is the walk.

With the glacier touring we have on the ship - will I feel glacierly satisfied? Do I really need to walk on one to feel like I have actually had a good glacier experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

Well, the description says that tour can take people with wheelchairs AND no weight surcharge so they have figured out a way to make it work. Maybe call Princess and ask for more details.

Princess does not operate this tour. So it is pretty useless, calling them and getting some phone operator who has never been to Alaska, trying to read off the description card. IF you are referring to a helicopter tour, the person's weight and taking a wheel chair are two completely different things. The wheelchair acceptance is for ADA compliancy. Has nothing to do with their weight restrictions of people, which ALL the helicopter companies operating in Juneau and Skagway have in place. Anyone over 250 lbs pays an additional 50%. This includes dressed weight, and they weight you prior to boarding. It has to be in the price somewhere, if Princess, is saying there is no surcharge for some flights???

Personally I think it is a bad idea to be "joined at the hip" with the people you are travelling with. I also appreciate your desire to do things with everyone. But this is your trip as much as anyone else's, y'know? Walking on a glacier is your dream -- find another "something" for the rest of your group to do.

Offer the Glacier Walk as "this is the one thing I really want to do, but it won't be manageable for anyone else", and then offer alternatives for the rest of your family. Who knows? Maybe the rest of them wouldn't want to get on a helicopter/small plane anyway :)

Unfortunately they are on a cruisetour, which, as it is is too short, and they certainly will be arriving Whittier, late. They aren't going to have any option to add this wonderful boat tour.

Oh, I didn't notice that initially. That's too bad and one of the downsides about the land packages offered by the cruise lines. They rush you right through without any time on your own. Oh well!

Oh, I didn't notice that initially. That's too bad and one of the downsides about the land packages offered by the cruise lines. They rush you right through without any time on your own. Oh well!

You know I also agree. :)

If one wanted to do PWS, could they not do it BEFORE leaving on their land-tour????

I am not sure if your inlaws really care about getting that upclose and personal with a glacier or not??? I would probably consider splitting up for a while if you really wanted to do this... No need to pay the very high prices for something that they do not really want to do.

Most of these tours are short in duration...

You are not looking at a day long excursion...

It us up and away and back.

And, don't forget your sunglasses for the sun on the ice! :cool:

If one wanted to do PWS, could they not do it BEFORE leaving on their land-tour????

I am not sure if your inlaws really care about getting that upclose and personal with a glacier or not??? I would probably consider splitting up for a while if you really wanted to do this... No need to pay the very high prices for something that they do not really want to do.

Most of these tours are short in duration...

You are not looking at a day long excursion...

It us up and away and back.

And, don't forget your sunglasses for the sun on the ice! :cool:

If I am reading you right?? Cruisetours, after a cruise, leave early morning, and cruisetours prior to the cruise, get in after the boat tours are long gone. Prince William Sound boat tours, just do not fit in with Princess cruisetours.

Princess does not operate this tour. So it is pretty useless, calling them and getting some phone operator who has never been to Alaska, trying to read off the description card. IF you are referring to a helicopter tour, the person's weight and taking a wheel chair are two completely different things. The wheelchair acceptance is for ADA compliancy. Has nothing to do with their weight restrictions of people, which ALL the helicopter companies operating in Juneau and Skagway have in place. Anyone over 250 lbs pays an additional 50%. This includes dressed weight, and they weight you prior to boarding. It has to be in the price somewhere, if Princess, is saying there is no surcharge for some flights???

in the princess information that they sent me it says no weight limits. when i tried finding a way to book it on my own is where I saw the mention of weight....so I was confused if it is the same or not - how can they limit it and not limit it? Regardless it appears it is a no deal with the inlaws due to the mobility issues. IT would be a no deal with my hubby at this time - as he is over 250 - we are both on a diet though :)

Personally I think it is a bad idea to be "joined at the hip" with the people you are travelling with. I also appreciate your desire to do things with everyone. But this is your trip as much as anyone else's, y'know? Walking on a glacier is your dream -- find another "something" for the rest of your group to do.

Offer the Glacier Walk as "this is the one thing I really want to do, but it won't be manageable for anyone else", and then offer alternatives for the rest of your family. Who knows? Maybe the rest of them wouldn't want to get on a helicopter/small plane anyway :)

you don't know my MIL do you :) I totally appreciate your statements and agree with them...though they may not :) sometimes I have to choose my battles!

you don't know my MIL do you :) I totally appreciate your statements and agree with them...though they may not :) sometimes I have to choose my battles!

Kerry,

My husband and I are booked on a Glacier Trek through Princess and it does state a surcharge will be added for over 250 lbs (who knows, he may loose enough that it really won't matter:D). ("Helicopter Glacier Walkabout (JNU-850)...Enjoy a personalized glacier walk on a helicopter flightseeing tour limited to small groups. NOTE: Weight surcharge ($100) may apply.") This tour is listed an non-strenuous, so perhaps it would work. We are sailing in May and a walk on a glacier is a must for me...not sure why, but it feels like something I need (?) to do. I understand about MIL feeling differently, but there are SO many things to do...what are their interests? Could you find something as a "special gift" for them to do while you are enjoying your walk? I hope it works out for you, but even without a walk on a glacier, I'm sure the trip will be unforgettable!:)

:D Well, if the inlaws have not yet asked you what you want for Christmas, you could be prepared with "I want to go on this excursion in Juneau, that's all I really want, so if it doesn't appeal to you, would you mind terribly if I went on my own? Really, that's allllllll I can think of that I want -- to get to go on this excursion even if you don't" :)

(btw, I may know her twin!)

Here is what I am seeing from Princess:

<H3>Tour Overview

Soar over Juneau's breathtaking glacial landscape, and experience this magical icy world first-hand on a thrilling glacier walk.

HELICOPTER FLIGHTSEEING

Behold the majesty of the Juneau Icefield from the vantage point of an eagle, on this magnificent tour two-hour tour of a land scarcely touched by man.

After a short transfer by motorcoach, and settling into your helicopter seat, your expert pilot will then fly over the stunning Juneau back country enabling you to view the astonishing glaciers accessible only by aircraft. Your pilot will point out interesting ice formations, as you search for cascading, advancing, retreating or floating glaciers en route to the remote landing site.

GLACIER LANDING

Touching down on the Norris or Taku Glacier, you will have approximately 20 minutes to explore the ancient landscape. Your pilot doubles as your glacier guide on this small-group adventure, and here you will learn how the ice flows, forms and shapes the landscape. You will also have the amazing opportunity to peer down into a crevasse or watch as a glacial stream suddenly emerges and then disappears beneath the icy surface.

Your return flight to Juneau (total roundtrip flight time is approximately 30 minutes), offers more exciting photo opportunities, including a flight along the Gastineau Channel, where you will view ruins of the gold mines that made the city famous. This beautiful landscape seen at altitude is an experience that will remain in your memory forever, and with plenty of photo-opportunities you will be able to share it with your loved ones for years to come.

Visit alaskahelicopterflightseeing.com for more details.

Special Notes

This flight has no weight surcharge. Minimum age is 2. Refer to FAQ section for important information about flightseeing.

Helicopter excursions are not refundable unless cancelled by 12:00pm on the day after embarkation.

Passengers with disabilities must contact the onboard Tour Office at least 48 hours prior to the excursion to ensure arrangements can be made to meet their particular needs.

Unaccompanied Minor Policy: Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

</H3>

Archived