Barcelona--What foods are they known for?

GlendaleCruiser

Hi Shak, actually I wasn't comparing the food in Spain to Mexico as I knew it would be differant, but having not been to Europe and Spain in particular, was interested in its preparation and seasoning. Again this isn't so much for myself but for John. I am all for trying differant foods.:).

Gay

Gay the cuisine is different but I did not experience things that were all that spicy like Mexican foods or maybe I just stayed away from them. I think you will be alright. Veal is always a good choice. If all else fails there is always an American chain that you can eat at.

Shak

Uh Oh. I have a feeling I am going to be starving the whole time I am there.

I am a very picky eater. Nothing mentioned above will I even touch with a ten foot pole.

Where might the nearest Mickey D's be???? LOL

you won't be starving Nancy - no worries. there are plenty of tapas to be found in Barcelona and they are all good. think ham at it's best, cheese at it's best, etc.

Tapas are the heartbeat of the Spanish culture and the good places have offerings that will make anyone's mouth melt.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of Mickey d's in barcelona.

dh comes from that background and I can assure you if you go to the right place, the tapas are incredible :):) We had fun introducing our friends to them. :)

dh comes from that background and I can assure you if you go to the right place, the tapas are incredible We had fun introducing our friends to them. :)

Thanks for your input. We are excited about going and also trying the tapas. Sounds like a fun way to have a light (or not so light :)) dinner.

We loved the food in Barcelona, particularly the seafood dishes.

It is equally important to understand the eating customs. In Barcelona, the locals eat a "light" breakfast (breads, iberian ham, small spanish omeletes, kind of like "breakfast snacks"). The main meal of the day is lunch, which is mainly enjoyed 2:00-4:00, followed by a siesta. Later at night, tapas (snacks, appetizers) are traditional.

At lunch, look for restaurants displaying "MENÚ DEL DIA" (Menu of the day). This will be the specials being offered and is often served with a beverage (wine, water), bread, appetizer, entree and desert, all-inclusive. And it is usually at a very reasonable price. If the weather is nice, check this out at a restaurant with outside seating and enjoy.

How to choose? we've done pretty good by focusing on places that were crowded. The prices have been always good and never had a bad meal.

There is a McDonalds and a Burger King near the Placa de Cataluyna at the end of Las Ramblas! :))

There is also a Kentucky Fried Chicken. And several Starbucks. ;) There were also Irish Pubs where I am sure you can get some type of meat and potatoes. You can probably get a paella made with only chicken and rice, if you don't want the seafood and sausages put in.

We loved the food in Barcelona, particularly the seafood dishes.

It is equally important to understand the eating customs. In Barcelona, the locals eat a "light" breakfast (breads, iberian ham, small spanish omeletes, kind of like "breakfast snacks"). The main meal of the day is lunch, which is mainly enjoyed 2:00-4:00, followed by a siesta. Later at night, tapas (snacks, appetizers) are traditional.

At lunch, look for restaurants displaying "MENÚ DEL DIA" (Menu of the day). This will be the specials being offered and is often served with a beverage (wine, water), bread, appetizer, entree and desert, all-inclusive. And it is usually at a very reasonable price. If the weather is nice, check this out at a restaurant with outside seating and enjoy.

How to choose? we've done pretty good by focusing on places that were crowded. The prices have been always good and never had a bad meal.

That was just the information that I was looking for. I don't like large breakfasts and enjoy a slow meal for lunch.

Tapas sounds great. How do you order tapas? Do they have trays of it set out and you pick your own?

That was just the information that I was looking for. I don't like large breakfasts and enjoy a slow meal for lunch.

Tapas sounds great. How do you order tapas? Do they have trays of it set out and you pick your own?

Well, it can depend on where you are. The places I've mostly been too had them displayed at the bar, so you can take a peek and see what strikes your fancy. Best thing is to find a seat(s), order a drink and then go look after the drink comes (most importantly, the drink will preserve your seat). Or better yet, score a seat at the bar right near the display. Order a couple of tapas at a time. This way you don't over order and if you find something you really like, you can get more. Remember, this is Spain and it is a more relaxed (slow) pace. If it is off a menu or chalkboard, order small as well to determine the portion size. A little spanish helps (my wife is fluent) to figure out what a few things are. They will write down what you order or some places will just tally toothpicks, shells, plates, etc.

They're really good and the experience is fun.

Archived