Best airport hotel - Miami??

LPCKG

I've made a booking at the Embassy Suites, Miami for a two night stay prior to our cruise (June 2011). Slightly concerned after reading a few reviews on CruiseCritic.

Can anyone give good feedback to dispel concerns or recommend a good MIA hotel offering free shuttle and breakfast?

ES is a good hotel, big rooms, nice happy hour in the afternoon and breakfast in the morning. It's somewhat isolated compared to hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and many others) which have dining options and a local strip mall (Starbucks, Publix gocery, drug store, liquor store, :D etc.) within walking distance.

All of the airport hotels are a long way from Miami Beach , Coconut Grove and any sight seeing attractions - what were you planning to do for two days out there? :confused:

Finally, cabs are cheap in Miami - I would not base my hotel choice on a "free" shuttle. A taxi to POM from ES or any airport area hotel will cost under $30 including tip. Good luck! :)

We have 2 nights prior to flying to San Juan for a 7night cruise. We have got a further 5 nights in Miami after the cruise and will be staying on Miami Beach for the longer stay. We thought it was easier to stay near the airport (free transfers) but we do have a full day so will need to do something, shopping, cinema, sightseeing but nothing too hectic. I was concerned after reading other posting but the free breakfast/evening drinkg were a big plus. Never been to Miami to really not sure does our plan sound practical or would you recommend anywhere else for a 2 night stay?

If you take the free shuttle back to MIA you can catch a public bus that will take you downtown or to Miami Beach for under $3 each way. ;) Some like Bayside Market in Downtown Miami, while others (like me) think it is just another tourist trap. :rolleyes: Good luck!

We have 2 nights prior to flying to San Juan for a 7night cruise. We have got a further 5 nights in Miami after the cruise and will be staying on Miami Beach for the longer stay. We thought it was easier to stay near the airport (free transfers) but we do have a full day so will need to do something, shopping, cinema, sightseeing but nothing too hectic. I was concerned after reading other posting but the free breakfast/evening drinkg were a big plus. Never been to Miami to really not sure does our plan sound practical or would you recommend anywhere else for a 2 night stay?

There is really nothing in the airport area. The Aventura Mall area is nice. I have stayed at the Homewood Suites at Blue Lagoon near MIA and it was a nice basic suite hotel with shuttles, breakfast, and light weeknight dinner, but there is nothing there other than grocery store and 3 basic strip center restaurants (Chinese, Cuban, Italian) about a 20 minute walk away. There was a cute airport-view themed restaurant about a mile away that the hotel recommended, but it was dead on the weekend. I hope you'll have a car so you can visit Coconut Grove, Vizcaya, or Zoo Miami.

Since you will be in Miami Beach later I would suggest that instead of the airport area you search for a hotel in Coconut Grove - no free airport shuttles, but lots of nice hotels, dining options, shopping, etc. -- all very pedestrian friendly and fun. :cool: Good luck! :)

Coral gables or Coconut grove is my recomendation also

I third this instead of the airport. Shouldn't be any price difference or even cheaper because the ES hotels are not inexpensive.

The airport is dismal and isolated. Parts are even dangerous.

Archived