Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni....I tried again and was still not having any luck (just using 11 digits no spaces) so I looked up any German phone number on a few websites and they started with "0" so I changed the first digit to zero and then it accepted it. I have no explanation, but oh well...I have my tickets!

Well I know what I was doing wrong...and I feel foolish! I was always under the impression that the North Amercian country code was "1" but (at least for the purposes of this website) it's "001"! You learn something new every day! :p

Well I know what I was doing wrong...and I feel foolish! I was always under the impression that the North Amercian country code was "1" but (at least for the purposes of this website) it's "001"! You learn something new every day! :p

The country code for the USA is 1, just like for the UK its 44, but you have to put 00 in front so the phone system knows its an international code. You can also use + instead of 00 , so if I phoned you and you had caller ID on your phone, the number would start +44. Clear as mud!!:D

Simon

Hi Lydia,:)

Thank you for your help. I have just bought the Lander ticket on line.

cheers

Stephen:)

Hi Stephen, missed your question, sorry. Glad Lydia could help you there.

Thanks, Lydia.

Anni :)

Hi, HAL gives its passengers the longest time in Germany of any line. You have plenty of time to explore Stralsund and enjoy the evening in Warnemunde if you so wish.

RE (red, Regional Express) trains on which the Lander ticket is valid depart Rostock every two hours from 9:01 for the 54min journey to Stralsund.

RE trains return from Stralsund at 14:00, 16:00, 18:00, 20:00. The s-bahn service runs from Rostock to Warnemunde every 15 mins.

Suggested Itinerary.

Dep Warnemunde 8:12 or 8:22 (you will need single local transport tickets, 1.80pp, for the s-bahn as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9:00)

Dep. Rostock Hbf 9:01 Arrive Stralsund Hbf 9:55

Dep. Stralsund Hbf 16:00 or 18:00 Arr. Rostock Hbf 16:54 or 18:54

Dep. Rostock Hbf 17:16 or 19:16 Arr. Warnemunde 17:36 or 19:36

The Mecklenburg Lander Ticket would cost 30 euros for 4 persons and cover all the trains except the first s-bahn

As you can see this itinerary would give you 6-8 hours in Stralsund and most of the evening to spend in Warnemunde. If you prefer a leisurely morning you could take the 11:01 from Rostock and still have 6 hours in Stralsund.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Thanks very much. Will try and buy the tickets today. You have been most helpful. I have one other question. How far is the first train from the ship?

Any suggestions as to how to get there would be wonderful. :D

Thanks very much. Will try and buy the tickets today. You have been most helpful. I have one other question. How far is the first train from the ship?

Any suggestions as to how to get there would be wonderful. :D

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

By the first train I assume you mean the s-bahn from Warnemünde to Rostock. The Cruise Terminal is literally alongside the railway station, from gate to platforms is less than 10mins walk. For directions please see the Warnemünde page on my web site.

The map at http://www.rostock-port.de/en/rostock-port/business-directory/company/Warnemuende_Cruise_Center.html shows just how close berths P7 and P8 are to the station.

You can buy the Lander ticket on line in advance but not the local transport tickets. Local tickets can be bought on the day from the machine on the station (touch screens in English) or the ticket office, using euros. The Lander ticket can also be bought on the day from the machine, the ticket office or from the ticket inspector on the RE train. They are unlimited and always available.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni

Thanks for all the great info - it makes planning so much easier. Arriving for the day on NCL Sun Monday 16 July. I have 3 questions and wondered if you can help:

1. The following website suggests Schwerin palace/castle is open on Mondays in July

http://www.schwerin.com/english/Arts-&-Culture/Attractions/Schwerin-Palace*

However the castle/palace website states it is closed on Mondays in July

http://www.museum-schwerin.com/visitor-information/

I have tried e-mailing the castle/palace but have not received a reply. Do you by any chance know the definitive answer?

2. There is also an exhibition of blue sheep in the grounds of the castle/palace - will the sheep be there in July?

3. Where is wi-fi available in Rostock/Warnemünde?

Cheers, Steve

Hi Anni

Thanks for all the great info - it makes planning so much easier. Arriving for the day on NCL Sun Monday 16 July. I have 3 questions and wondered if you can help:

1. The following website suggests Schwerin palace/castle is open on Mondays in July

http://www.schwerin.com/english/Arts-&-Culture/Attractions/Schwerin-Palace*

However the castle/palace website states it is closed on Mondays in July

http://www.museum-schwerin.com/visitor-information/

I have tried e-mailing the castle/palace but have not received a reply. Do you by any chance know the definitive answer?

2. There is also an exhibition of blue sheep in the grounds of the castle/palace - will the sheep be there in July?

Cheers, Steve

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

Unfortunately the schloss, like most other museums in Germany, seems to be closed on Mondays. I think the info that it is open was a leftover from 2010 when there was an International Garden Exhibition there and the whole place was open 7 days a week.

Sorry:(. I will enquire further when I go to Schwerin and let you know if my information is wrong but I don't hold out much hope as I have checked 5 web-sites, all in German and they all say the same thing.

Apparently the exhibition of blue sheep moves at the whim of the creators and no one is quite sure when that will be. They have been appearing and just as mysteriously disappearing all over the world for the past three years, always leaving one of the flock behind as an ambassador of peace. For more info see http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/898241-mystery-blue-sheep-appear-outside-germanys-schwerin-castle

WiFi - it is available all over the place, with more businesses offering it to their customers every day, but these are the spots I know.

Warnemunde - in the Cruise Terminal (expensive), the new cafe in the train station called 'Crew Corner', restaurants 'Atlantic' on the corner of Alten Strom and 'Salsarico' on Alexandrinenstrasse, near the lighthouse.

In Rostock quite a few restaurants and coffee shops offer WiFi to their customers but the best places for both hot-spots and computers for public use are the book-shops 'Thalia' in the Kropeliner Tor Centre and 'Weiland'on Kropelinerstrasse, both at the top end of the main pedestrian shopping street. As noted in the thread on this subject the people to ask are the crew, they know all the hot-spots in every port!

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Unfortunately users without a german mobile number have no WiFi access at McDonald`s in Germany, but in many other countries around the Baltic Sea (f.e. Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Poland)

Hi Anni,

we spent the weakend at Prerow, an unique village at the Baltic sea!

On the way we passerd Karl´s at Roevershagen, did you ever recommend it?

It´s a lovely place for families and kids.

Among many others it has the world´s largest collection of coffeepots.

Edited by Kruizefan

Anni, first of all I would just like to say thank you for this great thread and all the help you offer others coming to this port. it is a lengthy thread and I have read through it so hope I did not miss the answer to my question, but if so please accept my apologies. I have seen a lot of info about how to see this port, and local area or towns within 1-2 hours on a do it yourself basis, train schedules, ferry, etc. What I have not seen is if there is a tour company or reliable limo or driver than can take a party of 4 on a day or half day sight seeing excursion with free time included. Do you know of any reliable companies or private drivers that can pick up a party of 4 at the pier and do a half day or day excursion? thank you very much for any help you can give

Hi Anni,

we spent the weakend at Prerow, an unique village at the Baltic sea!

On the way we passerd Karl´s at Roevershagen, did you ever recommend it?

It´s a lovely place for families and kids.

Among many others it has the world´s largest collection of coffeepots.

Hi, I have answered questions on Karls for families with kids but the main drawback is the lack of public transport.

Please note that as a 'Local' I am not allowed to reccomend a specific business, only answer queries.

Cheers, Anni.

Anni, first of all I would just like to say thank you for this great thread and all the help you offer others coming to this port. it is a lengthy thread and I have read through it so hope I did not miss the answer to my question, but if so please accept my apologies. I have seen a lot of info about how to see this port, and local area or towns within 1-2 hours on a do it yourself basis, train schedules, ferry, etc. What I have not seen is if there is a tour company or reliable limo or driver than can take a party of 4 on a day or half day sight seeing excursion with free time included. Do you know of any reliable companies or private drivers that can pick up a party of 4 at the pier and do a half day or day excursion? thank you very much for any help you can give

Hi, Thank you for your appreciation.

As a 'Local' contributer, not a cruiser, I am not permitted to recommend specific tour companies, limo drivers etc. by name although I know there are a few who offer the kind of thing you want. Many of them have web sites so maybe you could find them through your search engine. Or maybe another cruiser who has visited this area can help.

Sorry I can't be of more help here but 'rules are rules'. I have already been warned and I don't want to be banned.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We will be coming into Warnemunde in June. We are going to stay around Warnemunde and Rockstock. We are looking for a great German meal (one does not like seafood - so more meat/potato type meal) and a few cold beverages. Any suggestions in Warnemunde? Or would going to Rockstock be better?

We will be coming into Warnemunde in June. We are going to stay around Warnemunde and Rockstock. We are looking for a great German meal (one does not like seafood - so more meat/potato type meal) and a few cold beverages. Any suggestions in Warnemunde? Or would going to Rockstock be better?

Hi, Germans love to eat-out so there are many, many good restaurants in both Warnemunde and Rostock. Some are speciality orientated ie. Greek, Italian, Sea-food etc but most serve a varied menu. Germany has many typical dishes, most of them regional, so it would be hard to find typical Bavarian dishes for example here in Mecklenburg. The local speciality is fish in all its forms but there are meat and potato type regional dishes too. All restaurants are required to display the menu outside, including a description of the dish. Many do so in English as well as German. So it is really just a question of browsing until you find a restaurant serving something you fancy.

All restaurants serve alcohol including a variety of beers.

Sorry, I am afraid that I cannot recommend a particular establishment by name. Thats the rules!

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi everyone, just a note to let you know that I will no longer be posting as Rostocker on CC.

I have loved my life in this area but it is now time to move on. At the end of the month I will travel to Australia for a holiday with my family, then I will return to UK to visit relatives and take a cruise to Iceland. After that, who knows? Its a big world out there and there are cargo ships sailing to every corner of it !

The web site is still in place and to the best of my knowledge the information is correct until the end of the cruise season. It would be nice if anyone finding the website helpful mentions it on CC so that others can use it too.

I am sorry to be parting from all the 'friends' I have made on this forum; to help others enjoy this interesting and beautiful corner of Germany has been a real pleasure. My special thanks to all of you who have expessed your appreciation for my replies and the web site; it makes all the time and effort worthwhile.

Watch the website - I may just add a bit from my own adventures and whet your appetite for parts of the world you have not even considered yet!

:):):) Happy cruising to one and all :):):)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Anni, you will be sadly missed! THANK YOU for all the wonderful information you have given on CC and for maintaining your fabulous website. I can't imagine how many hours you have devoted to helping strangers have the best possible visit to northern Germany.

Safe travels and best wishes to you!

I said it before but will tell you again, you are an amazing wealth of knowledge and I'm so grateful for you posts and website!! We will miss you and as fellow travelers understand your need for some adventure too! Enjoy and thank you again!!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk 2

Happy travels, Anni, your wealth of information and willingness to check on things will be sorely missed. Thanks for sharing your time with us on Cruise Critic and check back every now and then and let us know where the wind is blowing you next.

Best of luck to you! :)

Thank you Anni for 28 pages of wonderful information. It says that there are 546 replies on your thread, but also that there are 30,642 views = persons who have read your posts on cruise critic (maybe the same person more than once, but still that’s a lot of people who have learned from you). I myself have read all 28 pages and I have copied pages and pages of information in a word file to take with us on the trip. I posted your website on our cruise roll call and people have thanked me for doing so saying how helpful it was for them. Thanks for all your help. I was a little nervous about visiting on our own in Warnemunde and Rostock but because of all you have shared with us, I feel much more confident now. I was so looking forward to meeting you, but I guess it was not meant to be. We are still planning on taking the English tour in Rostock. Have a wonderful trip to Australia and the U.K. and a great cruise! Please keep in touch on your website or on cruise critic. You have made many friends (even if you have not met most of us!) and we surely wish you all the best. Lise

Hi everyone, just a note to let you know that I will no longer be posting as Rostocker on CC.

...:):):) Happy cruising to one and all :):):)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

G´day Anni,

thank you for your helpfull comments to Rostock and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern!

Good luck to you for all your adventures you will experience in the future!

Greetings from Hamburg

Peter