11/18 - 12/5 Solstice Review (long) with Photos

eastoftheboston

One other disappointment: while I applaud Celebrity's environmental efforts, I felt like the Team Earth area was a waste of space.

Other good points: The library, while I didn't browse the "permanent collection" too much, it had a great shelf where people leave their old books and take ones they haven't read before. We donated several books during the week, and found new ones we hadn't read.

I donated the new Ricky Martin autobiography, and it was gone in minutes!

Also, if you can splurge on the 87 dollar Riedel Wine Glass course, do it!

Hi Mark, your pictures are terrific:)

Just to make you aware, they never have the regular networks

on board. It is always the channels you mentioned so if there is

a show that is important to you, I would say tape it, dvd, etc. and

then you can watch it when you return home.

Glad you had a good cruise:)

I'll probably keep adding to this review LOL.

One tip, for people looking for "secret areas" no one knows about, or at least it seems that way..... on my cruise it was the outside promenade on Deck 5 where the lifeboats are, both port and starboard.

There are huge sliding glass doors out there, so it's not hidden, but almost no one was out there, and they have teak deck chairs out there with cushions on them. A great place to read and relax (not a great place for sun though). I'm not sure why more people weren't out there.

Lois, thanks for the tip.

I had set my dvr at home just in case, but I had wrongly assumed since one line (carnival) had networks, then they all would. Of course, I'm on vacation, I shouldn't be watching tv anyway!

Hi Mark,:) actually I don't watch much if any at all so for me? I don't

care what channels they have or don't have...except when its

playoff time or Superbowl time.;) They DO show those games:D

But regular tv? Nah, when I am on a cruise, its really the last thing

I want to do. I might turn it on when I go to bed but not much

more than that....it puts me right to sleep!

Also wanted to say Celebrity had a connections party for us the morning of Day 2 (monday, sea day) at 10:30. Unfortunately, I was asleep on a deck chair and completely missed it. If other CC members were there, I'd love to hear how it went, and I am sorry I didn't get to meet you!

Hi Mark,:) actually I don't watch much if any at all so for me? I don't

care what channels they have or don't have...except when its

playoff time or Superbowl time.;) They DO show those games:D

But regular tv? Nah, when I am on a cruise, its really the last thing

I want to do. I might turn it on when I go to bed but not much

more than that....it puts me right to sleep!

Lois, I will say that once I saw none of the network channels were on, I sometimes had the tv on for noise while I was getting ready in the morning, but we really didn't watch it at all. In fact, other than hearing about the two Koreas about to go to war with each others, when I got back to Florida I had NO CLUE what had gone on in the world for the past 7 days!

Lois, I will say that once I saw none of the network channels were on, I sometimes had the tv on for noise while I was getting ready in the morning, but we really didn't watch it at all. In fact, other than hearing about the two Koreas about to go to war with each others, when I got back to Florida I had NO CLUE what had gone on in the world for the past 7 days!

And you didn't miss much of anything either;)

Hi Mark! Thanks so much for your review and photos. We'll be doing the same itinerary in 40 days (as you can see from my countdown clock). I'd appreciate receiving pdfs of the daily events program. When you have time, could you please e-mail it to depaulart@widomaker.com. It was good to read your review. I was getting a bit concerned after reading some of the recent postings about your particular cruise - re the "attitude" of the crew. I must say I was surprised to hear the negative comments because we've always had very good experiences with X crew members.

Thanks again, and I'll look forward to receiving the pdfs.

Janet

Janet,

I'll make pdfs tomorrow at work. I just realized that I would have over 30 pages to scan at home one at a time on my home scanner. At work I can put it through the work scanner really quickly. So I promise you will get them.

I can't say that those with negative experiences are lying or exaggerating, but my review isn't a cheerleader review, we honestly had an amazing cruise and I hope you do, too!

I just read one person who had an AQ cabin and didn't get slippers, and only got turn down service once. If that had happened to me, I would have gotten it resolved immediately, and would also have reported it on here too! But none of the people I met on board seemed to be having issues (except for one prissy old queen who was belittling the bartenders, and I honestly think nothing could have pleased him).

If I were a betting man, I would bet you'll have a great cruise!

Janet,

But none of the people I met on board seemed to be having issues (except for one prissy old queen who was belittling the bartenders, and I honestly think nothing could have pleased him).

You know what my theory is....There are more horses a**es in the world than there are horses. And you are absolutely right, you just can't make some people happy. I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time (if past experience is any indicator). We're also in AQ, and I was excited to hear how much you enjoyed the AQ experience.

No rush on the pdfs...I still have 40 days. (Almost 39 days - I see it's almost midnight!!)

Janet

Also, I will make a PDF of all the Celebrity Today newsletters from the week. I’m not sure if you can post a PDF, but I will happily e-mail it to anyone who wants the file!

Thank you for your review. We were on Solstice when she was first launched and we are returning in less than 3 weeks for the New Year's cruise.

When you get the chance, I'd appreciate getting your pdf file of the dailies to share with the rest of the family joining us on this cruise. Thank you in advance.

kcb1966 (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

You know what my theory is....There are more horses a**es in the world than there are horses. Janet

Just have to love this quote.

Mark, I have read varying opinions on the food in the Mast Grill. How was the food there on your cruise?

Thanks for the camera tip. Need to read reviews, to make sure I can handle that camera - your shots are great!

As did others, I would like to thank you for the effort to post such a thorough review. We would echo many of your comments and the photos certainly helped us relive our cruise of last month.

My only concern is that too many laudatory reviews will make AQ, and specifically Blu, more popular and increase the price we'll have to pay:).

On the other hand, I'm confident that some other cruiser will find much to criticize.

Great review! I was so happy to read such a great report after so many negative comments over the last week about Solstice service! I have always had amazing experiences on board and I'm sure the upcoming cruise will be equally fabulous :)

If you could forward me the dalies to I would appreciate it! a (dot) mcgee 81 @ gmail (dot) com

Just have to love this quote.

Mark, I have read varying opinions on the food in the Mast Grill. How was the food there on your cruise?

Thanks for the camera tip. Need to read reviews, to make sure I can handle that camera - your shots are great!

d4m,

I thought the Mast Grill food was good. Maybe I just always lucked out, but they were constantly bringing fresh fries and onion rings out of the fryer, so all my food was piping hot. If you ask for a cheeseburger, they don't melt the cheese, they just put a cold piece on top of your hot burger as they serve it to you, if that's something you're concerned with.

They also always have cookies out at the Mast Grill, which I enjoyed.

And honestly, my camera is probably 3 or 4 years old now, the model number has surely changed, but it's your basic Canon Elph pocket-sized camera. I must admit I love the features, but it's also easy to put it on automatic. I've bought a couple of cameras since the Canon that have already died, so I keep going back to the basic standby and it never fails me.

OK I just scanned in the PDFs and e-mailed them to those who requested. If things get caught in your spam filter, look for an email from mjgrady1 (at) hotmail (dot) com. The PDF attachment is 2.5mb (32 pages long!).

The grid of activities page didn't scan too well (you can make out most of the words, though), the rest of the pages were fine.

Also, feel free to send an e-mail to that address if you'd like a copy of the dailies, but I'll also continue to check this thread and send them out when I see any requests.

OK I just scanned in the PDFs and e-mailed them to those who requested. If things get caught in your spam filter, look for an email from mjgrady1 (at) hotmail (dot) com. The PDF attachment is 2.5mb (32 pages long!).

The grid of activities page didn't scan too well (you can make out most of the words, though), the rest of the pages were fine.

Also, feel free to send an e-mail to that address if you'd like a copy of the dailies, but I'll also continue to check this thread and send them out when I see any requests.[/QUIf

If you wouldn't mind, could you email me a copy of the "dailies"? Email is: 1bohica@embarqmail.com. We are leaving on the 2nd of January....thanks in advance!

Chris

Also, feel free to send an e-mail to that address if you'd like a copy of the dailies, but I'll also continue to check this thread and send them out when I see any requests.

Thanks again for doing all this!! I too would like a copy of the dailies. extexgem at aol dot com. Thanks, Kim

Thanks so much for your review. Can not wait to get on the Solstice in a few weeks.

We are going with friends whoi like "meat and potato" so they are convinced not to go to Blu.

Please tell us what you call "classics" are. I really need your help as I would love to have us all dine at Blu.

Thanks so much for your review. Can not wait to get on the Solstice in a few weeks.

We are going with friends whoi like "meat and potato" so they are convinced not to go to Blu.

Please tell us what you call "classics" are. I really need your help as I would love to have us all dine at Blu.

The Classics include what they call "Airline Chicken," which our waiter explained is not airline food, but is called that because its a breast and a wing, so the wing makes it an "airline" chicken.

There is also the NY Strip Steak.

I think there was also a fish option in the classics. I don't eat fish, so I don't remember exactly what kind it was.

On the regular menu during the week you'll also find stuff like pasta, short ribs, another kind of chicken breast, etc (along with things like lamb, potato gnocchi, duck, etc), so I think your friends will be safe. On one or two nights, I'll admit some of the first course (out of four) choices seemed strange to me, but I ended up liking everything I got, plus if I didn't like one of the appetizers, I could always just order two (or more!) of the selections from one of ther other sections to make up for it.

For dessert, there's always a selection of ice cream in addition to everything else.

Mark,

Thank you for a very fine review. We share your observations; and, we will be pleased to cruise the Equinox on her Christmas cruise. My wife possesses a plethora of food prejudices, but she loves Blu.

For those of elite status, Michael's Club is also very nice in the A.M. I usually drop by after a breakfast in Blu and pick up a specialty coffee and yogurt for the wife, who seldom eats a proper breakfast. Addtionally, a Bloody Mary or glass of bubbly is nice while awaiting the coffee.

Archived