Our cruise insurance experience.

BigDave

Cruise insurance report -

This last year has been a tough one for my wife and I (much more for my wife of course).

We had a 2 week cruise for this month already scheduled when she was diagnosed with breast cancer last year.

After diagnosis we booked another week after treatment was scheduled to be finished.

I saw a discount cruise become available and I booked it so I could take my mildly autistic brother on a week when her treatment not be difficult. (more than 5 weeks post surgery, less than halfway through radiation)

Well, her treatment shifted once and we had to cancel one cruise, then it changed again and we had to cancel the cruise with my autistic brother.

I didn't want to disappoint my brother so I found another inexpensive cruise during a time when her treatment wouldn't need me around.

Her treatment changed again extending treatment quite a bit so we had to cancel all cruising until it was done.

I had other things to worry about so I didn't send in the insurance forms for a few months.

When I did I went out of the way to gather every possible bit of data the insurance companies asked for and more and sent it to them at the same time.

This gave me a unexpected but valuable lesson in travel insurance response.

2 cruises (the first and the last) were through TravelGuard.

Both were paid in just 2 weeks.

1 cruise was TravelEx

After over 4 weeks nobody has made any action or called me, I have called twice asking for progress.

1 cruise was CSA

3 weeks and 6 days after they admitted getting my forms someone looked at them and the day after faxed a dr a request for more info.

I've learned two things from this.

Don't book anything during a severe illness even if you have a established treatment plan, everything is written in pencil.

I'll be buying TravelGuard from now on.

I'm posting this on the two forums matching the cruise lines that I had booked on Carnival, and Royal Caribbean.

Good lessons learned. I am sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. It was certainly a positive path to take booking the cruises. I am sure you all were looking forward to just "getting away". The other positive note is that you bought insurance for each booking. It often does take time for processing and payment. Hopefully, you will all get to cruise in the near future when Mrs. Dave is well again. Learning which insurance companies are good/easier to deal with is something we don't always get information about. Thank you. When I used Travelguard, it took months of back and forth communication, copies, translation of ship doctor/medical staff handwriting, etc. before they even settled part of the Medical expense. Patience and perserverance are necessary. Good Luck. I will keep your wife in my prayers (it can't hurt).

Bon Voyage

I just posted this, and TravelEx just called and said they will be sending the payment tomorow (which I suppose means Monday).

Just CSA to go ;)

p.s. Mrs BigDave is doing fine, she's recovering from treatment and everything looks fine now.

Sorry BigDave bout your wife and you having to go through all that. Understandibly, least on your mind! I hope the other insurance company coughs out a check for ya. Thanks for sharing the info and hope you and wife and brother and everybody else has nice cruising experiences from here on out. Glad the Mrs.BigDave is doing well!!

With all that you have been going through, it was extremely thoughtful for you to post that information which is EXTREMELY beneficial, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart and will send positive thoughts to you and your wife for a speedy and full recovery.

Angel

Dave

You are a special person. Not very many of us who would take a Autestic s/p?? brother (or sibling) in my case it is a Mentally Handicapped sister who are willing to take their sibling on a cruise.

God is watching over you.

I hope you wife is back to her old self soon. She has a great Husband..

God Bless you

Debe and my sister Carol

Archived