Guaranteed or Assigned-which do you do?

laura2161

On the cruise Im booked for in April, I was REALLY tempted to go ahead and book a guar. lowest price room and see what happened, But just as I was booking w/ carnival, I got cold feet (AGAIN) and just said the heck with it, I'll pick my cabins now (I'm cheap- I booked cat 1A since its a present and Im paying for all four of us).

ANyway- Now Im kicking myself thinking I should have just booked a guar. and taken my chances for a possible upgrade. I didnt because I was worried we might have been placed at the very aft of the ship and I 'heard' that the motion and vibration is real bad back there???

SO anyway, To my question...Which way do you all book? Guar. or assigned right off the bat?

Thanks in advance for answering- Im getting way excited counting down the days. :)

I have done both. The first cruise we did a gurantee at the suggestion of our travel agent. We had an ocean view at the very rear of the ship. We did not do too good with the motion at times. This trip we booked assigned. I like the fact that we got to pick where we wanted to be. The upgrade is not that important to me unless I am going from a Cat. 8 to a 9 or higher. I told our PVP to put in the notes that we will accept an upgrade offer only if it meets the above requirement. Other than that, we are perfectly happy with a mid ship assigned cabin.

I have sailed on the aft on a few ships and never experienced more motion there then other places on the ship. My fear is getting a cabin outside the kids playroom...or across the hall for the disco. I pick a direct cabin.

We almost always book guarantee.

We have not been disappointed with our cabin assignment so far.

On our upcoming cruise on the Legend we booked 8a guarantee and ended up with 8g ( extended balcony ). :D

We always book what is the least we would be happy with and hope for the upgrade fairy to visit us :)

On our very first cruise our group all took guarantee(didn't know any better) and we were scattered ALL over the ship. From then on we have only taken assigned mainly because we now like to have balcony cabins and we pick them all in a row. Kind of fun to go out on the balcony first thing in the morning and see who is up and about. Almost a years wait till our next cruise (UGH) but atleast we are where we want to be on the ship. Surprisingly some of the cabins that we wanted were already taken.

Guarantee is the only way to go in my book... WE always cruise during peak season (i.e. spring break, x-mas, etc) and have been trated nicely in all 4 cruises which I booked a guarantee. I would book a balcony (category 8) guarantee and a inside (category 4) guarantee for my kids. On all 4 cruises we were upgraded to a 8f or higher (once a 9A) and my kids would always be placed right across the hall from our cabin, Carnival does an excellent job keeping both cabins together or in the immediate area...I've been pleasently impressed. I have saved significant $$ booking this way and have always been pleased with our location.

Have only cruised twice - first time assigned rooms - 2nd time husband and I only and booked a guar OV - it was the best thing in the world - got upgraded all the way to cat 12 suite - didn't find out until got to the ship - could hear me screaming for several floors I'm sure! So, as you could probably guess, we've booked another cruise (Miracle 5/22/05) - 3 rooms this time for us and kids, husbands, etc - and we've booked OC Guar (6A) so we'll see.......

Sarita

Paradise 1/04

Inspiration 5/03

Archived