Norvo Virus on QM2

shorebilly

Not quite true, I myself came down with it on1/1/11 around 4:00pm. I called the medical dept as requested, not that I needed mediacl attention, just trying to cooperate, and then they wanted to charge me $250. I told them that I flat out was not going to pay and they removed the charge, same thing when our son had it over Xmas. BTW, we do wash and use hand sanitizers and I had our own can of Lysol the entire trip. We were definately made to feel like this was our fault, sort of like a criminal. Out of 4 of us in two adjoining cabins 2 got sick a week apart. Numbers were higher than reported.

Hi Shorebilly. So sorry about that situation.

BTW, the CDC updated the figures today (prior update was Dec.28) on number reported ill. See http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2010/december19queenmary.htm

Best wishes,

Salacia

You were lucky, on our cruise many tried for a refund and got nothing,I am sure that many people would be honest enough to say they felt ill when they knew that heafty bill was coming as well.

They never said anything about a doctors charge when they made announcements either

Rob, Yikes, that is a surprise! -I never imagined there would be a charge since, as you say, that would discourage some from reporting their symptoms.

BTW, the number of passengers reported ill on the CDC website today was 185. If each paid $250 medical bill, the total would be $46,250. Hopefully the ill crew members weren't charged for their medical attention!

What would you get for your $250? As far as I know there is no treatment.

I would have thought that unless there is dehydration or other complications for most people, you just have to let it take its course and eventually it goes.

What you get is a visit from a nurse, quarantined from 24-48 hours and a packet of imodium. You lose your room steward and get the swat team, which also lost 2 tuxedo jackets. The swat team does not clean your room they just spray it down, you must request things normally "just done" by your room steward, like clean towels, ice in the ice bucket, etc. I will post a full review later. Were their major problems with this cruise? You bet! Yet she is an elegant ship and I will be giving it a second chance, there were major highlights as well.

Not quite true, I myself came down with it on1/1/11 around 4:00pm. I called the medical dept as requested, not that I needed mediacl attention, just trying to cooperate, and then they wanted to charge me $250. I told them that I flat out was not going to pay and they removed the charge, same thing when our son had it over Xmas. BTW, we do wash and use hand sanitizers and I had our own can of Lysol the entire trip. We were definately made to feel like this was our fault, sort of like a criminal. Out of 4 of us in two adjoining cabins 2 got sick a week apart. Numbers were higher than reported.

Contrast that with treatment on Jewel o. t. Seas in may. senior Management came down with it. Sick bay staff gave us list og instructuins and diet recomendations, cinfined of course for 2.5 days. front desk rang to say all bottled wayer was free and further supplies were being sent and room svc was to be used. Room steward + 1 other came and cleanead all cabin dowm discreetly. front desk gave us free access to all pay as you go movies. also rang up often to enquire as to wife's helth. tablets issued by sickbat. plus when we got home, the next day a letter fron royal carib commiserating and enclosing a voucher to be redeemed on a future holiday. bout lasted just 60 hoursall told. trewatment was first class.

gari

I am very surprised that Cunard is attempting to charge for medical assistance re the virus which would seem to be a recent change in their policy. During the October outbreak the then chief Dr (Caroll) broadcast that, because they did not wish to discourage proper reporting and confinement, there was no charge. Certainly when I had the virus on QE2 a few years ago there was no charge for medical. I do think any attempt to charge in these circumstances is a really legitimate cause for complaint and a PR disaster.

We boarded yesterday. All is well regarding virus. Extra hand sanitizers around but no other signs. We were the first group of passengers to board at 12:45pm - just a slight delay. Our stateroom has been refurbished since May. New drapes flat sreen TV - carpet looks new also. Ship is in really good shape - no one should complain about it's condition. The service in the restaurant last night was very very slow - hopefully a bit faster tonight. Were are on 6pm seating and had to rush the waiter to get us out for the 8pm movie - we just made it - no time for coffee etc.

We boarded yesterday. All is well regarding virus. Extra hand sanitizers around but no other signs. We were the first group of passengers to board at 12:45pm - just a slight delay. Our stateroom has been refurbished since May. New drapes flat sreen TV - carpet looks new also. Ship is in really good shape - no one should complain about it's condition. The service in the restaurant last night was very very slow - hopefully a bit faster tonight. Were are on 6pm seating and had to rush the waiter to get us out for the 8pm movie - we just made it - no time for coffee etc.

Unfortunately the service is often slow on the foirst night, people have to be hown to their tables and familiarize themselves with their new surroundings, plus they dither around when ordering food etc. I am sure it will get quicker.

Rob, Yikes, that is a surprise! -I never imagined there would be a charge since, as you say, that would discourage some from reporting their symptoms.

BTW, the number of passengers reported ill on the CDC website today was 185. If each paid $250 medical bill, the total would be $46,250. Hopefully the ill crew members weren't charged for their medical attention!

Makes you wonder how many would not inform them, if they knew of the charge

Unfortunately the service is often slow on the foirst night, people have to be hown to their tables and familiarize themselves with their new surroundings, plus they dither around when ordering food etc. I am sure it will get quicker.

Do not be so sure. Why do you immediately assume it is the fault of the passengers?

A check of reviews of all three ships will show the same pattern recently, namely a large number untrained staff in the main dining room, and possibly also in the kitchen and room stewards in the lower price cabins. The grills did not have this problem as far as I know, just as well considering the prices they paid.

In Nov we also had extremely slow service, for all 11 days, and like OP we also had to leave the table at 8p.m without having desert or coffee in order to rush to see the film . So it would seem nothing has changed since Nov.

One thing I would not do is rush my dinner to see a movie, I can see the movies on TV at home or the Cinema, but dinner on a Cunard voyage is or should something special.

Now 2nd sitting is better as you stay for as long as you like, we are often still there at 11.30 when the light go up

Do not be so sure. Why do you immediately assume it is the fault of the passengers?

A check of reviews of all three ships will show the same pattern recently, namely a large number untrained staff in the main dining room, and possibly also in the kitchen and room stewards in the lower price cabins. The grills did not have this problem as far as I know, just as well considering the prices they paid.

In Nov we also had extremely slow service, for all 11 days, and like OP we also had to leave the table at 8p.m without having desert or coffee in order to rush to see the film . So it would seem nothing has changed since Nov.

I am not blaming the passengers, merely saying that by having to be shown to their unfamiliar tables takes extra time. And as this happens on every first night it follows that it happens on every voyage. The fact that you had slow service in November can probably be attributed to the restaffing of QE from QM2 and QV. I don't think that reason will still apply to the OP's voyage as the wait staff are now more experienced and trained.

Happy new year, hope we get to sail again soon

Thank you. It was a very pleasant trip all in all. I was fortunately not one of those stricken with the Norovirus, but have great sympathy of course for them, all of them. Very unpleasant, and never nice to be sick on holiday, regardless of the nature of the illness.

It seemed to me that great efforts were taken to try to limit the spread of the virus and eliminate it from affecting even more passengers and crew. We were on "red alert" most of the trip. All food and beverage in King's Court and at buffets (late evenings and holiday nights) were served (no self service of anything, including glasses and silverware). For example, cheese and canapes were not allowed to be served at the wine tastings or certain other events on board while under "red alert".

In addition to tying all the rest room doors open, the staff urged people to take the extra precaution of whenever possible returning to your own cabin to use the facilities rather than use the shared ones.

It would be impossible to keep the ship completely free from potential germs on a ship where you touch walls, use railings, sit in deck chairs, use pools (and slot machines!) without quarantining all passengers to their staterooms.

I was on HAL Veendam in the Spring when there was an outbreak of NV, and they also went to a version of red alert until comfortable that this was taken care of. Several years ago, in early Fall 2006, while on a HAL Alaska cruise (coincidentally also on the Veendam), there seemed to be a fairly wide "epidemic" of NV throughout the cruiseships in the area. In Juneau, when we and several other ships were in port, one of the ships (a Radisson one) was apparently completely quarantined and no one was allowed off the ship.

On this holiday trip, no ports were missed or restricted (other than for those already identified as having the NV). Some events were scaled down a bit or moved to enable the better implementation of red alert restrictions (such as the Christmas Night buffet). We received at least daily announcements/updates from the captain and doctor. it seemed to me that the staff went out of their way to try to provide a lovely trip for us, with as much "normalcy" as possible, under the circumstances.

Thank you. It was a very pleasant trip all in all. I was fortunately not one of those stricken with the Norovirus, but have great sympathy of course for them, all of them. Very unpleasant, and never nice to be sick on holiday, regardless of the nature of the illness.

It seemed to me that great efforts were taken to try to limit the spread of the virus and eliminate it from affecting even more passengers and crew. We were on "red alert" most of the trip. All food and beverage in King's Court and at buffets (late evenings and holiday nights) were served (no self service of anything, including glasses and silverware). For example, cheese and canapes were not allowed to be served at the wine tastings or certain other events on board while under "red alert".

In addition to tying all the rest room doors open, the staff urged people to take the extra precaution of whenever possible returning to your own cabin to use the facilities rather than use the shared ones.

It would be impossible to keep the ship completely free from potential germs on a ship where you touch walls, use railings, sit in deck chairs, use pools (and slot machines!) without quarantining all passengers to their staterooms.

I was on HAL Veendam in the Spring when there was an outbreak of NV, and they also went to a version of red alert until comfortable that this was taken care of. Several years ago, in early Fall 2006, while on a HAL Alaska cruise (coincidentally also on the Veendam), there seemed to be a fairly wide "epidemic" of NV throughout the cruiseships in the area. In Juneau, when we and several other ships were in port, one of the ships (a Radisson one) was apparently completely quarantined and no one was allowed off the ship.

On this holiday trip, no ports were missed or restricted (other than for those already identified as having the NV). Some events were scaled down a bit or moved to enable the better implementation of red alert restrictions (such as the Christmas Night buffet). We received at least daily announcements/updates from the captain and doctor. it seemed to me that the staff went out of their way to try to provide a lovely trip for us, with as much "normalcy" as possible, under the circumstances.

I am so pleased that you a great voyage, wish I was there with you.

It sounds as if you had it worse than we did in October, while most touchable things were removed we were allowed to serve oursleves in teh buffet, the virus passed through very fast, but maybe the new rerscritions that you had would be better on all voyages were this breaks out

Hi rrunner, What deck were you on for this voyage? Also what type of stateroom did you occupy. When I was on board the Queen Mary 2 in October, I was walking through the deck for the Britannia Club Restaurant guests and saw all the picture tube televisions in the corridor. The new flat screen televisions were being installed. One of the men doing the job told me that he and others doing the job would be on board for about a month until the replacement job was finished.

So, evidently once the flat screens were put in, then the drapery and carpets were replaced in the same staterooms.

Do you know if this was also done on Decks Four, Five, and Six?

Thanks for any information you provide.

Terrence

Hi rrunner, What deck were you on for this voyage? Also what type of stateroom did you occupy. When I was on board the Queen Mary 2 in October, I was walking through the deck for the Britannia Club Restaurant guests and saw all the picture tube televisions in the corridor. The new flat screen televisions were being installed. One of the men doing the job told me that he and others doing the job would be on board for about a month until the replacement job was finished.

So, evidently once the flat screens were put in, then the drapery and carpets were replaced in the same staterooms.

Terrence

Hi Terrence.

I just got off Monday. My PG on Deck 10 did not have the flat screen. It is taking them a long time, as my QG on Deck 9 last Christmas had it.

Regards,

Jeanne

PS: I used All Star this summer for the NY Pier and they were great. Decided this year to drive to Brooklyn and regretted it.

Terrence

Hi Terrence,

We just got off the QM 2 and our deck 5 cabin had a flat screen TV. Our Cabin looked in great shape; not sure what improvements had been completed. Carpet looked pretty new.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Terrence

---------------------------------

Hi, Terrence. Like Jeanne I was on deck 10, and did not have a flat screen TV. They apparently have not gotten to those cabins yet. I was on Deck 11 (in an A2 Balcony cabin) earlier this Fall and did have a flat screen TV in that cabin.

However, did not notice any signs of installation activity on Deck 10 or elsewhere on this most recent trip. Would have thought they might be targeting to be complete prior to World Cruise coming up, but who knows.

Best wishes --

Jane

Hi Terrence,

We just got off the QM 2 and our deck 5 cabin had a flat screen TV. Our Cabin looked in great shape; not sure what improvements had been completed. Carpet looked pretty new.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hi Terrence - we are on deck 5 at the moment- outside stateroom. I will try to find out if all the staterooms have been refurbished.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

The Queen Mary 2 is now entering into her seventh year of service. I would think the time has come to change bed spreads, decorative pillows, drapery, and carpeting in all the staterooms.

Please keep reporting here if you know of these changes on any of the decks.

The Queen Mary 2 is headed for dry dock in December 2011. Usually during this time major work is done on the ship.

Thanks again.

Terrence

I totally agree, we had a wonderful trip, great service, great food,and met a great bunch of people. I can not think of anything else that Cunard could have done any better than they did to prevent a spread of infection.

Germs will go where they want to go and some are unlucky to be infected and i have every sympathy for them, but if it is true that some did not stay quaranteened then they do not get my sympathy, they are thoughtless and if rumours are true (does anyone know?) that some were removed from ship in port then so be it.

I did start walking past the Mens room with eyes closed though:eek:

On noticing the passage ways carpets were a little bitty, i never put 2 and 2 together about vacuum cleaner contamination until i saw it in an earlier post. My only after effect of the unfortunate incident is very dry skin on my hands, which is no big deal and easily fixed!:)

We were on deck 6 and had a flat screen, but no new carpet or drapes.

We were aft and had no noise even though we had a family with 2 small children next door,deck 7 above, and found it to be a reasonable location.

Haven't decided on next year yet but dont usually plan that far ahead anyway, but the same trip is on my list or maybe the QE xmas cruise from Southampton.

Happy New Year To You All

Julie

Archived