Norvo Virus on QM2

shorebilly

News from my parents on board today that the virus is dwindling. They are having a wonderful time, love their dining room experience. I've sailed QM2 7 times and never had any of these dramatic experiences people post on these boards. We usually sail Silversea, but choose the QM2 once or twice a year, I've always had a great time...

Thank you for the good news regarding the virus. We are boarding on Monday. All the negative comments bashing QM2 are getting tedious. We have always enjoyed our crossings/cruises on her - we have no complaints.

Does anyone have any information as to whether the loading or embarkation times will be impacted for the cruise starting January 3rd? We had planned to be at the cruise terminal about 11:00 a.m.

Hi bwell. Under the best of circumstances, arriving at the Brooklyn terminal at 11am is well in advance of boarding. To the best of my knowledge and experience, priority boarding does not commence until noon (approximately). You will have at least an hour wait to board the ship. What did your travel documents show as your scheduled check-in time? - Regards, Salacia

My wife and I are onboard and have had a wonderful cruise. This is our last at sea day, traveling at 25 knots on smooth seas. The code red has been over for the last two days as we have had no new cases of the virus!

We understand the number of cases were under 200 -- the problem, in no way, effected our cruise. The service and food have been outstanding!!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Kelmac

Pleased to read the virus is over, it is very nasty whilst it is happening.

May we know which dining room you used, the problems in November were all in the Britannia, it would be so good to read that they have now returned to normal.

I am on board QM2 now...we are enjoying a smooth ride back to NYC....weather is warm enough for many to be outside lounging on deck chairs.

it seems that all of the noro-related procedures are finished....we are back to serving ourselves in the Kings Court.

Maybe someday we will be able to take a pill before boarding a ship that kills the virus when it enters our bodies.

We have medications for just about everything else. I would hope some pharmaceutical company is working on it right now. It could give them big bucks for the discovery.

My wife and I were on board the Queen Mary 2 for the October 7, New England/Canada voyage. We were really concerned about the outbreak of the virus and did our best to wash our hands, spray our stateroom with Lysol spray, use the sanitizers provided before entering the restaurants, as well as using the ones we always carry with us.

We were very pleased with the effort the staff made to combat the virus, and the daily updates from Commodore Warner on what was being done and what we were to do.

We did consider the fact that we would probably die someday from all this stuff we need to use to kill germs on our hands and on surfaces that we touch.

Terrence

Maybe someday we will be able to take a pill before boarding a ship that kills the virus when it enters our bodies.

We did consider the fact that we would probably die someday from all this stuff we need to use to kill germs on our hands and on surfaces that we touch.

LOL...:D Just google 'ineffective hand sanitizers' and :). Their intended effect lasts for ONLY two minutes, so one would have to continuously reapply for it to be useful! From everything I've read, it seems the best precaution is plain old soap and water and that's what I do...many times throughout the day...almost compulsively!!! I also avoid touching common areas about the ship [hand rails, door handles, elevator buttons, etc.].

I'll be boarding the QM2 tomorrow and will continue with my O/C hand washing!

LOL...:D Just google 'ineffective hand sanitizers' and :). Their intended effect lasts for ONLY two minutes, so one would have to continuously reapply for it to be useful! From everything I've read, it seems the best precaution is plain old soap and water and that's what I do...many times throughout the day...almost compulsively!!! I also avoid touching common areas about the ship [hand rails, door handles, elevator buttons, etc.].

Quite right. Medics advise two verses of Happy Birthday to You sung at moderate speed is the correct time to scrub with soap and hot water.

I asked my family physician about how to avoid Norovirus, he told me the only effective thing is hand washing, when I asked about the sanitizers he said well, if your hands are already clean from washing well with soap and water the sanitizer is a great backup. So far I have been lucky, but once the virus is onboard it is difficult to eradicate because you are in an enclosed environment (think terrarium).

Also, when washing hands sing to yourself the song 'Happy Birthday', that is how long your hands should be washing with soap before rinsing. I always wash twice, soap rinse and soap rinse again. Also when opening the public lav door I have a paper towel in hand, prop the door open with my foot and then toss the paper in the bin on the way out.

The only thing that will really 'kill' the virus is bleach. If you want to bring hand wipes look for the ones that contain either Benzethonium Chloride or Benzalkonium Chloride as the active ingredient, Wet Ones is one brand.

That old adage is right...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :D

I asked my family physician about how to avoid Norovirus, he told me the only effective thing is hand washing, when I asked about the sanitizers he said well, if your hands are already clean from washing well with soap and water the sanitizer is a great backup. So far I have been lucky, but once the virus is onboard it is difficult to eradicate because you are in an enclosed environment (think terrarium).

Also, when washing hands sing to yourself the song 'Happy Birthday', that is how long your hands should be washing with soap before rinsing. I always wash twice, soap rinse and soap rinse again. Also when opening the public lav door I have a paper towel in hand, prop the door open with my foot and then toss the paper in the bin on the way out.

The only thing that will really 'kill' the virus is bleach. If you want to bring hand wipes look for the ones that contain either Benzethonium Chloride or Benzalkonium Chloride as the active ingredient, Wet Ones is one brand.

That old adage is right...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :D

Thanks for that info, I will get some wet ones nows.

I was on with Terrance back in Oct and everything possible was done and with the use of extra hand washing, sanitisers and not touching anything we didnt get it, so that all works

your about prevention, purell claims to kill 99% of germs etc, I am happy that it does and that it works, everyone just keep using it

PARTIAL QUOTE

, purell claims to kill 99% of germs etc, I am happy that it does and that it works, everyone just keep using it

Hi Rob. Good idea. Except Noro is a virus, not a germ. Please may I add that those who may become sick are not to be considered as lacking in personal hygiene. As others have said, we can and should was our hands with soap and water as often as possible, but if we eat food cooked or served to us that contained the virus, we may contract the virus through no fault of our own. Noro - or any virus for that matter, is an equal opportunity employer.

When the water supply on QM2 was cut off for several hours on the Dec 8 - Dec 19 cruise, no provision or instruction was given for hand washing. Please forgive me for repeating myself, but I believe this was poor judgement on the part of management. -However, thanks to other's posts on previous threads, I brought with me two cases of bottled water, several bottles of which I used to wash when the water was shut off.

Regards,

Salacia

Hi all -

Another tip: cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hands. It might seem a bit icky, but this way the virus particles and such are trapped on your clothing instead of your hands. Then you don't leave them on a handrail, or give them to someone when you shake hands, etc.

I go to school at Johns Hopkins and this is something that has trickled down from our Bloomberg School of Public Health (that's right, Mayor Bloomberg, a proud JHU electrical engineer even more proud of his C's, occasionally writes a check or two) and their research. The RAs teach it to freshmen and it has gotten to a point where people tend to be shocked when others don't use the "elbow method".

Hi all -

Another tip: cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hands. It might seem a bit icky, but this way the virus particles and such are trapped on your clothing instead of your hands. Then you don't leave them on a handrail, or give them to someone when you shake hands, etc.

I go to school at Johns Hopkins and this is something that has trickled down from our Bloomberg School of Public Health (that's right, Mayor Bloomberg, a proud JHU electrical engineer even more proud of his C's, occasionally writes a check or two) and their research. The RAs teach it to freshmen and it has gotten to a point where people tend to be shocked when others don't use the "elbow method".

Right you are sbcs! The elbow method is the way to go! BTW, Johns Hopkins is a great school...Keep your posts coming, you have much to contribute. Thanks & best wishes, Salacia

From Salacia's suggestion, I'll be opening my cabin door tomorrow with a Clorox handiwipe! :D

Heard from very good sources on board that everything is ship-shape and in good order for the New York arrival. ;)

Looking forward to being on board again and hoping that this sailing will be as pleasant as the November 27th.

Will try to do some reporting along the way.

Bobby

From Salacia's suggestion, I'll be opening my cabin door tomorrow with a Clorox handiwipe! :D

Heard from very good sources on board that everything is ship-shape and in good order for the New York arrival. ;)

Looking forward to being on board again and hoping that this sailing will be as pleasant as the November 27th.

Will try to do some reporting along the way.

Bobby

Hi Bobby...so glad to hear it's all clear for your voyage tomorrow. Have a wonderful time! Looking forward to your reports from the Caribbean.

Sun, warm weather...enjoy! -Cheers, Salacia

PARTIAL QUOTE

Hi Rob. Good idea. Except Noro is a virus, not a germ. Please may I add that those who may become sick are not to be considered as lacking in personal hygiene. As others have said, we can and should was our hands with soap and water as often as possible, but if we eat food cooked or served to us that contained the virus, we may contract the virus through no fault of our own. Noro - or any virus for that matter, is an equal opportunity employer.

When the water supply on QM2 was cut off for several hours on the Dec 8 - Dec 19 cruise, no provision or instruction was given for hand washing. Please forgive me for repeating myself, but I believe this was poor judgement on the part of management. -However, thanks to other's posts on previous threads, I brought with me two cases of bottled water, several bottles of which I used to wash when the water was shut off.

Regards,

Salacia

It is a type of germ. sorry:)

http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/Publications/Documents/Leaflets/Norovirus.pdf

Opps, sorry. You're right Rob, a virus is a type of germ. Think I'll go wash my hands again after reading that web page:eek::D -Salacia

Ok, best wash them twice, i have now purchased some of the wipes with the bleach in them as someone said above, that way I can be sure, also as im off to Eygpt in a few weeks I want something goon and stong to kill it all off.

have you washed them again yet????????

to be honest though, the purell gel is a help, hand washing, purell and whatever to keep us all healthy

My wife and I are onboard and have had a wonderful cruise. This is our last at sea day, traveling at 25 knots on smooth seas. The code red has been over for the last two days as we have had no new cases of the virus!

We understand the number of cases were under 200 -- the problem, in no way, effected our cruise. The service and food have been outstanding!!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Not quite true, I myself came down with it on1/1/11 around 4:00pm. I called the medical dept as requested, not that I needed mediacl attention, just trying to cooperate, and then they wanted to charge me $250. I told them that I flat out was not going to pay and they removed the charge, same thing when our son had it over Xmas. BTW, we do wash and use hand sanitizers and I had our own can of Lysol the entire trip. We were definately made to feel like this was our fault, sort of like a criminal. Out of 4 of us in two adjoining cabins 2 got sick a week apart. Numbers were higher than reported.

You were lucky, on our cruise many tried for a refund and got nothing,I am sure that many people would be honest enough to say they felt ill when they knew that heafty bill was coming as well.

They never said anything about a doctors charge when they made announcements either

Archived