Bringing coffeemaker on X?

Hot2Travel

Here's a little blurb that I post whenever anyone asks about making coffee on Celebrity:

Bodum makes a great insulated plastic travel french press. We bought one for each of us a couple of cruises ago and use them every morning. We bring ground coffee from home and spoon it into the press, then one of us dashes up to the buffet or the aqua spa cafe and fills it (almost) with hot water from the dispenser. Back in the cabin, we wrap it with a hand towel to keep it hot, and a few minutes later there's hot coffee just like at home. It's possible to bring some cream (or whatever that stuff is in the dispenser marked cream) back to the cabin in a drinking glass. Since we don't particularly like to drink directly from the press, although it's designed for that, we keep a mug each in the cabin, filling them with hot water from the tap in the cabin before dashing up to the buffet or aqua spa for water.

I recognize this process may seem arduous, but good coffee is important to us, and it really doesn't take long to get it this way.

Go to the Bed, Bath, and Beyond website and search for Bodum french travel press. We bought the $17.99 model, which works fine. If you're near a BB&B, you can order it through the store and they'll ship it to your home free. Don't forget to use a 20% off coupon.

Bon Voyage

Betsy

Here's a little blurb that I post whenever anyone asks about making coffee on Celebrity:

Bodum makes a great insulated plastic travel french press. We bought one for each of us a couple of cruises ago and use them every morning. We bring ground coffee from home and spoon it into the press, then one of us dashes up to the buffet or the aqua spa cafe and fills it (almost) with hot water from the dispenser. Back in the cabin, we wrap it with a hand towel to keep it hot, and a few minutes later there's hot coffee just like at home. It's possible to bring some cream (or whatever that stuff is in the dispenser marked cream) back to the cabin in a drinking glass. Since we don't particularly like to drink directly from the press, although it's designed for that, we keep a mug each in the cabin, filling them with hot water from the tap in the cabin before dashing up to the buffet or aqua spa for water.

I recognize this process may seem arduous, but good coffee is important to us, and it really doesn't take long to get it this way.

Go to the Bed, Bath, and Beyond website and search for Bodum french travel press. We bought the $17.99 model, which works fine. If you're near a BB&B, you can order it through the store and they'll ship it to your home free. Don't forget to use a 20% off coupon.

Bon Voyage

Betsy

We do the same thing, great minds think alike :D We used our Starbucks Travel French Press

Bon Voyage

Betsy

Great Idea! Thanks!! Would the water be hot enough ordering room service?

Bon Voyage

Betsy

Betsy, BB&B website has two travel Bodum Press @ $17.99---One received a bad review...which one did you get?

We take the regular coffee press, not the travel one and have had great coffee on our cruise. Especially when we were in Jamacia and got the Blue Mountian coffee and some real good coffee in Costa Rica...

Yes the room service hot water was hot enough to brew it. We too are fussy about our coffee and this is the way to go. Got our press at Target and just kept the bubble wrap and original box so we can pack it.

Bev

H2T, I checked the BB&B website, and I think they're the same. Note one has a model number and the other doesn't. The photos appear to be the same. Ours have the artsy saying on them. BTW, both of ours seal just fine, and we've used them many times. Just push the plunger down slowly, just as you would with any french press.

Betsy

We used to take a coffee pot. Now that it is on the prohibited items list along with guns, illegal drugs and explosives, we decided to try a coffee press on our last cruise.

We got the largest plastic (shatterproof) coffee press we could find and used this 8-cup mode from Bodum: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-Shatterproof-Coffeemaker-34-Ounce/dp/B001LQHQT0/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1293584122&sr=1-3

It worked pretty well. We filled it with the steaming hot water in the buffet (the ones that you fill a tea cup with) area each morning and by the time I got it back to our room the coffee was almost ready. The 8-cup size made 3 mugs worth - using the coffee mugs available on the ship in the buffet. I'd bring these down with the coffee pot to drink in our cabin in the morning. I wasn't sure if hot water from room service would be hot enough - although I see a post above where someone indicated it worked for them.

You could bring ziplock bags for the grounds. I usually cut wide corners off the plastic shopping bags that we tend to accumulate along the way, put the small amount of grounds in and put it in the bathroom trash bin. There may be a few grounds left in the bottom of the pot, so I swish those down the sink drain.

From Celebrity's website

What not to Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

and from their guest conduct policy as published

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

Personally I would be very angry if having taken my dryer a rule was imposed on board that is not clearly published to me in advance

And yes I agree their hairdryers are shocking

Personally I would be very angry if having taken my dryer a rule was imposed on board that is not clearly published to me in advance

And yes I agree their hairdryers are shocking

At Celebrity, the left hand is still not talking to the right hand.... resulting in different rules depending on the source one uses...

And hairdryer should not give you a shock ;)

to op, coffee maker may/may not be taken, but you've got to be kidding, you are on a cruise, order room service by the door card. tell your room steward the time you want your coffee each day, give him at least a $5 in advance, he will gladly deliver your coffee to you each morning.

to op, coffee maker may/may not be taken, but you've got to be kidding, you are on a cruise, order room service by the door card. tell your room steward the time you want your coffee each day, give him at least a $5 in advance, he will gladly deliver your coffee to you each morning.
My DH would think I had totally lost it if I even suggested bringing a coffee pot on a cruise. Great, hot coffee is delivered almost instantly from room service,only a tip needed. We order juice and coffee and enjoy our balcony every morning while we decide where we want to go for breakfast. It is called vacation, but to each his own. :confused:

My DH would think I had totally lost it if I even suggested bringing a coffee pot on a cruise. Great, hot coffee is delivered almost instantly from room service,only a tip needed. We order juice and coffee and enjoy our balcony every morning while we decide where we want to go for breakfast. It is called vacation, but to each his own. :confused:

Part of the point has been missed. We're not trying to get coffee, we're trying to get good coffee! I agree the room service coffee is very convenient and for many guests it is just fine. But some of us (perhaps many of us) think it is terrible and undrinkable. I belong to the latter group and prefer to either purchase my coffee at the coffee bar or make my own. Neither is a good option. The coffee bar serves only espresso based coffee, not the drip (filter) coffee we prefer, costs $4.60/cup or more, and you have to go there and wait in line to get your coffee. Making it yourself is a better option for us but still a bit of a pain on the ship. Unfortunately we like that option more than option #3 which is to just drink the ship's coffee.

Here is a recent thread discussing the quality of ship coffee: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1323104

This photo was taken on board Century in November:

CenturyNovember2010nohairdryers.jpg

erm, there website says nothing about not being allowed to take hairdryers onboard, if I can take my personal straighteners and curling tongs then why would a hairdryer not be allowed? I will be VERY annoyed if they confiscate this from me on the Eclipse as there has been no mention of not being able to take a hairdryer. Seems to me that all this 'safety' actually related directly to the amount of money they can make off you with ironing and hairdressing services. I'm sure I'm gonna love my holiday with Celebrity but I think it will be back to P&O for sheer customer service afterwards...

Archived