Bringing coffeemaker on X?

Hot2Travel

erm, there website says nothing about not being allowed to take hairdryers onboard, if I can take my personal straighteners and curling tongs then why would a hairdryer not be allowed? I will be VERY annoyed if they confiscate this from me on the Eclipse as there has been no mention of not being able to take a hairdryer. Seems to me that all this 'safety' actually related directly to the amount of money they can make off you with ironing and hairdressing services. I'm sure I'm gonna love my holiday with Celebrity but I think it will be back to P&O for sheer customer service afterwards...

The US Celebrity website specifically states hairdyers and curling irons can be brought on board. Can't say anything about the Century post being shown. No restrictions on the Mercury on dryers in late Nov 10.

As to useless hairdryers...my wife agrees and asks for a handheld when she gets on board. They are standard in the Concierge (and I assume Suites) SRs, but we went with an Aft SR on Mercury and she asked for the more powerful handheld and got it. Worked fine for her.

Now, when we make our next Celebrity cruise and my wife asks for the handheld and the stweard tells her that they are all taken because some guy named 'Denny01' told everybody on CC to ask for one and they are now out of them, I get killled....no, I'll just say, "I've got to get on the CC forum and tell the hosts someone is using my check-in name!!". I know, she won't believe me!

By the way, I wouldn't go getting upset before you get on board...Celebrity has fantastic customer service. And they aren't restricting items such as irons so you have to use the ship laundry, its very much a fire hazzard.

Denny

The US Celebrity website specifically states hairdyers and curling irons can be brought on board. Can't say anything about the Century post being shown. No restrictions on the Mercury on dryers in late Nov 10.

As to useless hairdryers...my wife agrees and asks for a handheld when she gets on board. They are standard in the Concierge (and I assume Suites) SRs, but we went with an Aft SR on Mercury and she asked for the more powerful handheld and got it. Worked fine for her.

Now, when we make our next Celebrity cruise and my wife asks for the handheld and the stweard tells her that they are all taken because some guy named 'Denny01' told everybody on CC to ask for one and they are now out of them, I get killled....no, I'll just say, "I've got to get on the CC forum and tell the hosts someone is using my check-in name!!". I know, she won't believe me!

By the way, I wouldn't go getting upset before you get on board...Celebrity has fantastic customer service. And they aren't restricting items such as irons so you have to use the ship laundry, its very much a fire hazzard.

Denny

thanks Denny. Will just have to see what happens on my cruise then, would not want to risk not being able to get a decent hairdryer as dressing up and looking nice is a big part of the cruise for me.

I agree that irons shouldn't be in your cabin, but I would appreciate them having laundry facilities for passengers to use as the other ships I have been on have had them for free. I'm also somewhat aggrieved that they have removed their kettles from the rooms for the USA departures so I cannot make myself a cup of tea before I go to bed or in the morning, room service tea is never hot enough to properly boil a cuppa and I would prefer not to have to tip someone twice a day for some lukewarm water! It's just becoming one thing after another and it's pissing me off when other ships can quite happily offer these things but Celebrity somehow are different.

erm, there website says nothing about not being allowed to take hairdryers onboard, if I can take my personal straighteners and curling tongs then why would a hairdryer not be allowed? I will be VERY annoyed if they confiscate this from me on the Eclipse as there has been no mention of not being able to take a hairdryer. Seems to me that all this 'safety' actually related directly to the amount of money they can make off you with ironing and hairdressing services. I'm sure I'm gonna love my holiday with Celebrity but I think it will be back to P&O for sheer customer service afterwards...

My hair dryer WAS confiscated from my on the Eclipse in November. HUGE hassel and meant I didn't get my bag until I went downstairs to deal with this around 6pm. Don't even bother trying...seriously. The hair dryers on the ship do suck, but I will be back on the Eclipse in February so it couldn't have been that bad, could it?

Do I assume that a proper travel kettle (with automatic cut off) is also banned - I took one on the Ellipse last April with no bother.

Like the previous poster says you need boiling water for a decent cup of tea and it must be safer to boil it in the room that transport it between floors from the cafe! Yes I know I can get room service but that first cup of the day is needed before it is safe for me to open the room door......:)

• 2 weeks later...
From Celebrity's website

What not to Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

and from their guest conduct policy as published

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

I don't have to worry about the hairdryer as we are in CC, however I do use a heating pad on my lower back at times - especially after a lot of walking/standing on a cruise, so does anyone know if it is allowed on Celebrity? If not then I guess I will have to buy some of those heat patches :(

thanks in advance!

The coffee bar serves only espresso based coffee, not the drip (filter) coffee we prefer, costs $4.60/cup or more, and you have to go there and wait in line to get your coffee. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1323104

Hey Larry,

You might be pleased to know that on Century in Michael's Club for Elite breakfast, they now have a coffee machine right at the bar capable of making all the complimentary specialty coffees. The servers no longer have to go all the way to the coffee bar and hurry back to keep your beverages piping hot. We found that it was a great addition to the nice spread they offer each morning.

Happy cruising...Joanne

Hey Larry,

You might be pleased to know that on Century in Michael's Club for Elite breakfast, they now have a coffee machine right at the bar capable of making all the complimentary specialty coffees. The servers no longer have to go all the way to the coffee bar and hurry back to keep your beverages piping hot. We found that it was a great addition to the nice spread they offer each morning.

Happy cruising...Joanne

Hi Joanne - that is nice to hear. It was too bad that on our cruse last Sept. they had to disappear to make that long run back and forth.

But we do have a habit of needing our coffee first thing as we crawl out of bed - long before we're ready to head out to Micheal's Club or any place else for breakfast. So I'm continuing to think of the best way to have decent coffee in our stateroom. Too bad the ships can't figure a way to have a really good pot of coffee delivered by room service.

Do I assume that a proper travel kettle (with automatic cut off) is also banned - I took one on the Ellipse last April with no bother.

Like the previous poster says you need boiling water for a decent cup of tea and it must be safer to boil it in the room that transport it between floors from the cafe! Yes I know I can get room service but that first cup of the day is needed before it is safe for me to open the room door......:)

You won't need to take a kettle if you are sailing on the Eclipse from Southampton to European ports as they are in the cabins. The kettles are only removed when the ship sails TA to the US for her winter cruise season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived