All Things PRIDE!!

rrraydon

On Pride, is there a big difference between the Panorama deck balcony and the Main deck balcony other than higher up?

Nope, no big difference. Unless you are comparing Extended Balcony or Obstructed View Balcony on one deck with Standard Balcony on another. But within the same type of balcony, no, no real difference other than a few feet more or less above the waterline.

Cruising the Pride again for the holiday season.. can't wait!!

For anyone who has been on lately.. is Roger still the pianist in the piano bar?

Sorry, apparently, his current contract ends and he debarks the day you embark (December 8th), for his next vacation.:(

Depending on who fills in for him, it might be bad news for you, but he's got a baby at home and a bunch of other kids that I know he misses terribly. So, as you're dealing with the fill-in (I honestly hope for your sake, it's not What's-Her-Name that has been filling in for him occasionally over the last couple years - she sucks), maybe it will make you feel a little better to think of him spending happy moments with his young family.:o

Wow, that was a lot of babbling when I could have just said, "No, he won't be the PBP on you cruise.":o

Sorry, apparently, his current contract ends and he debarks the day you embark (December 8th), for his next vacation.:(

Depending on who fills in for him, it might be bad news for you, but he's got a baby at home and a bunch of other kids that I know he misses terribly. So, as you're dealing with the fill-in (I honestly hope for your sake, it's not What's-Her-Name that has been filling in for him occasionally over the last couple years - she sucks), maybe it will make you feel a little better to think of him spending happy moments with his young family.:o

Wow, that was a lot of babbling when I could have just said, "No, he won't be the PBP on you cruise.":o

NOOO.. he can bring his babies!!!....LOL

Lord, I hope it's not someone who sucks! :eek::p

NOOO.. he can bring his babies!!!....LOL

Lord, I hope it's not someone who sucks! :eek::p

For your sake (and that of my parents, who will be on your cruise), I hope so, too. I can't remember her name, but the PBE that was in training and would fill in occassionally for Roger when he was on his breaks was awful. She could empty the room by the end of one song.:eek::mad: But maybe she's gotten better, or maybe they will bring in someone else who doesn't suck for the length of Roger's vacation (fingers crossed for you).

Our last Pride cruise was Roger's first week back after his last vacation. We happened to have our kids with us and he spent a lot of time chatting with us that cruise. He was soooo down (not his usual self, at all), missing his family, especially his new baby, that I felt guilty for introducing him to our kids.:o

For your sake (and that of my parents, who will be on your cruise), I hope so, too. I can't remember her name, but the PBE that was in training and would fill in occassionally for Roger when he was on his breaks was awful. She could empty the room by the end of one song.:eek::mad: But maybe she's gotten better, or maybe they will bring in someone else who doesn't suck for the length of Roger's vacation (fingers crossed for you).

Our last Pride cruise was Roger's first week back after his last vacation. We happened to have our kids with us and he spent a lot of time chatting with us that cruise. He was soooo down (not his usual self, at all), missing his family, especially his new baby, that I felt guilty for introducing him to our kids.:o

I changed my booking to the first week of Dec instead. I hope your parents have a nice cruise!

I was able to book a "bowling alley" balcony on the 12/01 cruise for cheaper AND hopefully Roger will be there!:D

Now I'll just cross my fingers that they will decorate for Christmas earlier than the last time I cruised in her in Dec. I really would like it to be decorated for the Christmas season. If it isn't, I'll decorate it myself for your parents since they'll be getting on when I get off. ;)

Thanks to all of you who have already contributed to this thread -- I just booked my first Pride cruise for Thanksgiving 2014 and am SO excited. I grew up in southern Maryland, and am very excited to sail down the Chesapeake Bay.

Questions I haven't found answers to so far:

• Will it be warm enough to swim the first day or two if they have the roof closed over the one Lido pool? (late November)
  • Does anyone have a link to what 2.0 upgrades the Pride is getting in February 2014?
  • Any pictures indicating how close the pride sails to the shore on the starboard side leaving the bay?
  • Are the doors magnetic?

Thanks to all of you who have already contributed to this thread -- I just booked my first Pride cruise for Thanksgiving 2014 and am SO excited. I grew up in southern Maryland, and am very excited to sail down the Chesapeake Bay.

Questions I haven't found answers to so far:

• Will it be warm enough to swim the first day or two if they have the roof closed over the one Lido pool? (late November)
  • Does anyone have a link to what 2.0 upgrades the Pride is getting in February 2014?
  • Any pictures indicating how close the pride sails to the shore on the starboard side leaving the bay?
  • Are the doors magnetic?

• The covered Lido pool will be cool, but the heat will be on (the air heat - not water heat) under the roof and it is comfortable out of the pool there without a coat. But the only poeple generally in the pool for the first and last day of the cruise are the intrepid kids.:p
  • Sorry, I don't have a link for 2.0 upgrades.:o
  • No pictures, but if you are referring to passing over the CBB&T at the mouth of the Bay, the tunnel the Pride passes over is about 8 miles from the Norfolk/Hampton Roads side of Virginia, and about 6 miles from the Cape Charles (Eastern Shore/Delmarva) side of Virginia. And you will be passing through there at about 11:00PM-midnight. The starboard side will have a veiw of the lights of Hampton roads/Norfolk/VA Beach. The contrast to that side and my Delmarva (very dark with just a few little lights, including a lighthouse) is dramatic.
  • Do you mean the cabin door surfaces? For decorating with magnets? If so, I don't think so. I think they are a pressed laminate type of surface. But I can't be absolutely positive of this - we don't decorate our door.:o

I changed my booking to the first week of Dec instead. I hope your parents have a nice cruise!

I was able to book a "bowling alley" balcony on the 12/01 cruise for cheaper AND hopefully Roger will be there!:D

Now I'll just cross my fingers that they will decorate for Christmas earlier than the last time I cruised in her in Dec. I really would like it to be decorated for the Christmas season. If it isn't, I'll decorate it myself for your parents since they'll be getting on when I get off. ;)

It sounds like you made a great choice! Roger should be there and getting excited to go home, so he should have plenty of energy.:) And bowling alley balcony, SCORE!!!:D Back in 2009, our first Pride cruise was the week after Thankgiving, embarking on November 29th. They were already decorated (at least partially) for Christmas and Santa was onboard to greet the kids one night in the Taj Mahal Theatre.:)

It sounds like you made a great choice! Roger should be there and getting excited to go home, so he should have plenty of energy.:) And bowling alley balcony, SCORE!!!:D Back in 2009, our first Pride cruise was the week after Thankgiving, embarking on November 29th. They were already decorated (at least partially) for Christmas and Santa was onboard to greet the kids one night in the Taj Mahal Theatre.:)

That's good to hear that they were decorating in November. I was hoping that it wasn't standard to decorate the second week of Dec on the Pride. I guess it's all about who is doing the decorating. :)

That's good to hear that they were decorating in November. I was hoping that it wasn't standard to decorate the second week of Dec on the Pride. I guess it's all about who is doing the decorating. :)

Although, that was four years ago. So it may have changed. I hope they are decorated for you.:) Happy sailing!

• No pictures, but if you are referring to passing over the CBB&T at the mouth of the Bay, the tunnel the Pride passes over is about 8 miles from the Norfolk/Hampton Roads side of Virginia, and about 6 miles from the Cape Charles (Eastern Shore/Delmarva) side of Virginia. And you will be passing through there at about 11:00PM-midnight. The starboard side will have a veiw of the lights of Hampton roads/Norfolk/VA Beach. The contrast to that side and my Delmarva (very dark with just a few little lights, including a lighthouse) is dramatic.
  • Do you mean the cabin door surfaces? For decorating with magnets? If so, I don't think so. I think they are a pressed laminate type of surface. But I can't be absolutely positive of this - we don't decorate our door.:o

I am actually going to be watching for the mouth of the Patuxent and the mouth of the Potomac -- I grew up in St Mary's county. When they built the bridge to Solomon's Island, they actually took land we used to own. We are starboard, in 5107 (& my kids in 5105).

I don't normally decorate my door but I want to this time. I have the crafting tools to make a pretty cool group of decoration if I make time to work on it. Thanks for the prompt answers!

Next question... with Thanksgiving on this cruise, any chance they'll do the second formal night on Thursday instead of Friday?

I am actually going to be watching for the mouth of the Patuxent and the mouth of the Potomac

Cruising in November, it will be dark by the time you pass the Potomac and Pax Rivers southbound. And it'll be in the middle of the night northbound. If you have a chart and a GPS, you may be able to at least recognize the lights on the bouys marking those rivers. Sorry.

I am actually going to be watching for the mouth of the Patuxent and the mouth of the Potomac -- I grew up in St Mary's county. When they built the bridge to Solomon's Island, they actually took land we used to own. We are starboard, in 5107 (& my kids in 5105).

I don't normally decorate my door but I want to this time. I have the crafting tools to make a pretty cool group of decoration if I make time to work on it. Thanks for the prompt answers!

Next question... with Thanksgiving on this cruise, any chance they'll do the second formal night on Thursday instead of Friday?

Oh OK, well, again, I'm sorry I don't have have pictures showing this either, but you should be able to see Point Lookout, at least. When we were overnight fishing there a few years ago, the cruisehips were passing almost close enough to make out which ship each was without binoculars. The funnel of the Pride was pretty obvious and made it easily disinguishable.

Taking your own GPS, as Swodog94 suggested, or keeping an eye on the display of the ship's GPS on your TV or the big screen by the Lobby, should give you a pretty good idea of when it's coming up.

I would suggest painter's masking tape (the blue kind, that peels away easily and leaves no residue) for your door decorations.

As for the second Elegant Night being moved to Thanksgiving, I don't know. But it sounds feasible. It even makes sense for them to do so. At any rate, I have heard that most ships offer a traditional turkey dinner on Thanksgiving night. Maybe someone who has cruised Pride on Thanksgiving will chime in and let us know.:o:)

Happy Sails!:)

ETA: PS - My DH grew up in St. Mary's County, too. He was born at Leornardtown Hospital, I believe, and lived in Lexington Park. His grandma still lives there.:)

E(again)T(also)A: According to DH, the ship will be passing about 4 miles from Point Lookout, based on the location of the shipping channel.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Taking your own GPS, as Swodog94 suggested, or keeping an eye on the display of the ship's GPS on your TV or the big screen by the Lobby, should give you a pretty good idea of when it's coming up.

ETA: PS - My DH grew up in St. Mary's County, too. He was born at Leornardtown Hospital, I believe, and lived in Lexington Park. His grandma still lives there.:)

E(again)T(also)A: According to DH, the ship will be passing about 4 miles from Point Lookout, based on the location of the shipping channel.

This is why i start my research early. I'll work on the GPS stuff so I can at least watch for Point Lookout.

My brother was born at Leonardtown Hospital, and I too have relatives still in the county. Small world.

Cruising in November, it will be dark by the time you pass the Potomac and Pax Rivers southbound. And it'll be in the middle of the night northbound. If you have a chart and a GPS, you may be able to at least recognize the lights on the bouys marking those rivers. Sorry.

Ah, you can't win them all. I guess I'll have to look for a chart. Thanks for the information and the suggestion(s). We'll enjoy the harbor sail at least out of Baltimore.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge? We have early dining, but would really like to see the view as we go under the bridge. So, you think it takes about 3 hours from sailaway? We took the 2 day cruise to nowhere in November, but it was already dark and not a lot to see.

That sounds right. That would put it at about 7:30 - 7:45PM.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge? We have early dining, but would really like to see the view as we go under the bridge. So, you think it takes about 3 hours from sailaway? We took the 2 day cruise to nowhere in November, but it was already dark and not a lot to see.

Sailaway is at 4:00PM, isn't it? That would make it closer to 4 hours than 3 to the bridge (3 1/4). From past experience (both on the Pride, and on the Bridge, passing over the Pride), the Pride has passed under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not to be confused with the CBB&T;)) at about 7:45, or a little earlier. One time it was exactly at 7:42 as I was driving over the Bridge with Pride passing below me. Pretty cool view.:)

It should be towards the end of early dining. If you hurry through dinner, you might be able to get out on deck to see it.:o

Yes the cabin doors will hold magnets. I use them all the time on Pride, Miracle and Glory.

Thanks for setting us straight.:) I didn't know as I've never tried, but they didn't seem like metal doors.:o

Yes the cabin doors will hold magnets. I use them all the time on Pride, Miracle and Glory.

I do too. I have car door signs I made through Vistaprint. It makes it a lot easier for my mom to find the room, especially when we are on the middle of a long hall, not near elevators. She had stroke a few yrs ago her short term memory is not so good sometimes.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I do too. I have car door signs I made through Vistaprint. It makes it a lot easier for my mom to find the room, especially when we are on the middle of a long hall, not near elevators. She had stroke a few yrs ago her short term memory is not so good sometimes.

Thanks for replying -- it's a milestone birthday for me on this trip, and I have the urge to do door decorations and make a big deal, especially since I picked the trip w/o any input from my family LOL. My birthday, my choice!