Bed Bugs on Carnival Glory

constansl

Wow! Thanks for the tip. Even though we suffered from a bed bug infestation on the Liberty, we haven't had any problem with the other ships. We are not letting bed bugs keep us from traveling, and we are leaving for another cruise in two weeks, I really appreciate any advise that will help prevent transfer of these pests into my home.

Didn't read through all the posts, but here are some tips I read about.

1- don't put luggage up on bed (in cabin...not even on the mat on the bed). Keep your luggage on the floor or something (I set ours on the mini side-tables) as you unpack.

2- put dirty clothes in plastic trash bag and tie it tight...maybe double bag it.

3- when you bring home your luggage, don't set it on your bed or sofa or anything like that. Maybe leave empty luggage in garage, basement or laundry room for a few days.

4- put dirty clothes directly in wash.

srry i am not giving it the good housekeeping seal of approval.. all i know is it works for me.

just liek taking vit c tabs seem to help prevent us from being sick on a cruise. the one time we didnt take them b4,drung and sev days after, we all got sick with noro. and we have been on a tot of 9 cruises. all i am saying is that i have noticed a correlation.

no need to be nasty.

baf

• 1 month later...

I completely understand your situation regarding bedbugs as I experienced a similar situation while on our Alaskan cruise last August The physician acknowledged that my bites were probably bed bugs but suggested I brought them onboard from the hotel stay the previous night. I am certain that wasn't the case at all since I had no bites until the morning following our departure. I am also certain they were not mosquitos or sand fleas as I was not exposed to any and because of the location of the bites. What amazed me the most was not Carnival Cruise lines because they did fumigate our room and do all they could to make things right, but the hostility coming from cuise critic members because I dared post such a thing including one all but calling me a liar. I had cruised with Carnival prior to my bedbug incident and since then without any bedbug issues. I realize that bedbugs are becoming a problem and don't point the finger at anyone, but they do need to be reported. I didn't and have no intention of sueing anyone because of them. Read all you can about bedbugs online. Pack your clothes in zippered bags, pack a large garbage bag for your suitcase, don't store it under the bed. Pull back the sheets and look closely at the mattress. When you feel comfortable there are no bugs, then hang your clothes up (I usually wait until the following day). Whatever you do, don't let the fear of bedbugs keep you from enjoying a great vacation. We just returned from a cruise on the Triumph, going on a cruise on the Glory in October and on our second cruise on the Dream next January.

In southern waters there is something called "sea lice" and I know all too well about it. I had a terrible reaction to being bitten by them after swimming off of Delray Beach. They are microscopic jellyfish larvae and they propagate in waters off Florida and in the Caribbean. The result of being bitten are tiny red bites all over your body. Sometimes the allergic reaction is delayed. It is possible that passengers have been bitten by sea lice and then had a latent reaction and mistook this for bedbugs.

Just to let you know a huge hotel in lauderdale by the sea was shut down 3 weeks ago due to bed bugs. They told all the people they had to find different accommadations as they were being shut down and no other hotel in the area wanted to take them!!

Archived