Bed Bugs on Carnival Glory

constansl

What cabin were you in we cruise on Feb.20th - did you hear of others complaining about bed bugs?
We were in 7341. We did have family members cruise with us. Their cabin was the same deck but opposite side. My sister-in-law noticed a couple of bites on her (of who knows what), but it was minor and not an issue. I don't think we would have thought anything of it if my husband wasn't eaten alive. I swear everywhere I looked at the pool, I saw bites on people, but maybe that was acne. :) It was a mess. I didn't bring up the issue with anyone on the ship. Why make other people paranoid?

Anyone cruise in the last few weeks on Glory? I am on Glory next week and wondering if the bed bugs are still an issue?

Thanks

Here's an example of one post causing a mild hysteria. I contend they are an "issue" everywhere but not a problem.......

Im not by any means saying that your story didnt happen but there are other bugs out there that can do those type of bites. A possibility are bugs that we call noseeums. The whelps from them don't show up until a few days after you are bitten. Both my DH and I got tore up with them after a party near the water one evening. The bumps didn't show up until 2 days later. And they popped up at different times. They too whelp up like mosquito bites and are VERY painful and itchy. Not much can help with the itching. When we had the bites, we were miserable. Some people are more allergic to them than others. Some people can get bit and not even know it. Then there are people like me who is highly allergic to anything that bites, and I looked like I had been eaten alive by something. These bugs live near the water and since the cruise ships are on the water, its possible. Im sorry yall had such a bad experience with the nurse on board.

IPlease note before anyone complains about using chemicals.....

I only picked it up because it claimed to be safe and non-toxic. I also only sprayed MY ITEMS, suitcase and the bag itself. I was respectful not to spray the bed and stateroom objects.

Thank you.

I can only speak for me but eucalyptus is a smell that I enjoy.

Don't know if it works and I don't think I'll go that route, I'll just stick with the bag idea...or maybe just pick up a couple eucalyptus sprigs from the craft store and bring them in my luggage.

No spraying to even possibly bother the next person in the cabin.

Thanks!! :)

Sorry that you went through this and that they treated you the way they did!!

Funny how the nurse told you that the whole ship would be infested. That just shows you that she has no knowledge whatsoever!! If you were to bring bed bugs home, it doesn't mean that your whole house would be infested... they usually just stick to 1 or 2 places. Mainly, were they can feed all the time.

A couple of years ago we had bed bugs. It was the worst time of my life. We caught them early but still spent thousands of dollars dealing with them. Hubby and I slept in the same bed but he never showed any bites at all, but I was bitten all over. We did lots of research and the doctor himself told us that not everyone shows signs of bites but we all get bitten.

They do bite in a row of 3 - breakfast, lunch and dinner they call it! But if they get interrupted while they're feeding then naturally you would be left with only one bite. I had many bites in a row of 3 but also had some single bites. I had big welts and couldn't handle the itching!

Unfortunately, all the products that were mentioned in earlier posts will not work! People are not educated and think bug spray or bounce sheets will work. I have heard of so many products that people buy and NONE of them work!! Trust me...save your money!

We bought new luggage... the hard case ones. It's not as easy for the bugs to climb them. We don't leave them anywhere on the floor or tables or chairs. Bed bugs love wood... they don't only live in the beds. This may sound weird but hubby does a lot of traveling for work and he actually just puts the suitcase in the tub. LOL We never leave our luggage unzipped and garbage bags are our best friends! Tie them tightly with your dirty laundry or put them into the big ziploc bags. When you get home go straight to the washing machine and wash everything with hot water.

Bed bugs have changed the way we live and travel. It's definitely more work but for us worth it. I never want my kids to go through what they did a couple of years ago. We now have those bed bug covers on all our beds and pillows. They can live for 18 months without one feeding. Yuck!!

Just do your research on how to travel because they are everywhere, not just in cabins on cruises. Heck, we got it at my in laws over Christmas. They didn't even know they had them because they didn't show signs of bites. My hubby's uncle brought them to their house and he didn't show signs of bites either. It was a very big chain that went through the family and it took for me to get eaten before we figured all of this out. Eeek!!

Sorry for the long post... this is a topic that I can go on and on about... haha!!

Im not by any means saying that your story didnt happen but there are other bugs out there that can do those type of bites. A possibility are bugs that we call noseeums. The whelps from them don't show up until a few days after you are bitten. Both my DH and I got tore up with them after a party near the water one evening. The bumps didn't show up until 2 days later. And they popped up at different times. They too whelp up like mosquito bites and are VERY painful and itchy. Not much can help with the itching. When we had the bites, we were miserable. Some people are more allergic to them than others. Some people can get bit and not even know it. Then there are people like me who is highly allergic to anything that bites, and I looked like I had been eaten alive by something. These bugs live near the water and since the cruise ships are on the water, its possible. Im sorry yall had such a bad experience with the nurse on board.
I can't discount other possibilities, but we noticed bites after our first night stay and continued to have issues up and until we disembarked.

• 2 weeks later...

I sympathize with you completely. When my husband and I were on our Alaskan Cruise this past August, we were on the Carnival Liberty. I was covered with bed bug bites after the first night and unfortunately had an allergic reaction to them. My husband has a total of 17 bites when all was said and done, but they were little pin pricks that didn't bother him much at all. But, mosquitos generally leave him alone while they feast on me. And, I have a reaction to mosquito bites as well. I still have the scars from the bites on my legs and feet. The scars on my arms have faded and are barely noticable. The physician was very nice and gave me some cortisone creme although he tried to convince me that we were responsible for bringing the critters on board perhaps from our hotel room which I knew for a fact we didn't. The ships staff did come into our room and spray.

What amazed me most about the entire incident was the hostile response I received from some Cruise Critic members who all but called me a liar for daring to post about the bed bugs. I noticed the reponses you received were much more sympathetic.

I sympathize with you completely. When my husband and I were on our Alaskan Cruise this past August, we were on the Carnival Liberty. I was covered with bed bug bites after the first night and unfortunately had an allergic reaction to them. My husband has a total of 17 bites when all was said and done, but they were little pin pricks that didn't bother him much at all. But, mosquitos generally leave him alone while they feast on me. And, I have a reaction to mosquito bites as well. I still have the scars from the bites on my legs and feet. The scars on my arms have faded and are barely noticable. The physician was very nice and gave me some cortisone creme although he tried to convince me that we were responsible for bringing the critters on board perhaps from our hotel room which I knew for a fact we didn't. The ships staff did come into our room and spray.

What amazed me most about the entire incident was the hostile response I received from some Cruise Critic members who all but called me a liar for daring to post about the bed bugs. I noticed the reponses you received were much more sympathetic.

I can understand why. Carnival Liberty doesn't go to Alaska. :p:rolleyes:

I just went on the MONARCH of the Seas this past weekend. As a percaution I took along a large trash bag and placed my suitcase into it.

Bed Bath and Beyond also carries a travel non-toxic spray that claims to get rid of bed bugs. It has a eucoliptous smell to it, which I believe is a deterent product. I bought a 2-pack for $6.99 I sprayed MY suitcase before I left my home in order to possibly protect my bags while in baggage on the plain. On the ship I sealed my suitcase into the bag and ziplocked it shut. I then sprayed the open end on the bag in case anything did find its way to the end that was ziplocked and would be chased away by the spray. After the cruise, I packed all of my items into a 2nd bag inside my suitace and tossed the first one out. Once Home I immediately cleaned everything

Please note before anyone complains about using chemicals.....

I only picked it up because it claimed to be safe and non-toxic. I also only sprayed MY ITEMS, suitcase and the bag itself. I was respectful not to spray the bed and stateroom objects.

BB&B also carries what they claim to be are sheets and pillowcases that will stop any bed bugs from passing from the mattress through the sheet. For a peace-of mind it could be a cost worth paying for. Although I did not buy them, I may pick up a set and keep is as a travel set and a safe guard. PREVENTION and PREPARATION is all you really can do. It protects you and the company in case you happen to bring them onboard and don't even realize it.

Wow! Thanks for the tip. Even though we suffered from a bed bug infestation on the Liberty, we haven't had any problem with the other ships. We are not letting bed bugs keep us from traveling, and we are leaving for another cruise in two weeks, I really appreciate any advise that will help prevent transfer of these pests into my home.

Good to know !!! Also a VERY good point about all that luggage piled together for hours before being sorted and delivered. I have never thought about that.....

Yep, bed bugs can travel from suitcase to suitcase, body to bed, cabin to cabin and even the best hotels in the world can sometimes find the little buggers on their premises.

Always get amused by bed bug posts.

Wonder if the same posters upset about bed bugs would complain as much if they found a spider in their mattress or a coackroach in their sutcase.

Dianne

I have always used drier sheets( you know those fabric softener sheets that go in the drier).. I throw em in the luggage. When we get to our cabin, i put several between the mattress and box springs, put several in all the drawers we use and leave several in the empty luggage. As a previous poster said, you never know what YOUR luggage is sitting NEXT to before it gets to your cabin. Also keeps away roaches. The little suckers HATE the scent. Dunno why, but it works!

baf

You better google this before you do it as there is no proof that it repels any insects / bugs of any kind.

It ain't that easy......

Grocery stores are now selling Travel SIZE bedbug & Mites killer spray. I plan to buy me one. The name is PRONTO. I am sure there are other name brands available too.

I also bought me some "OFF!" insect replellent body spray so I can spray myself when I go into the ports.

I do plan to put my suitcase in a large plastic bag and spray it. Also plan to wash my clothes when I get home right away.

I am bug phobic. Nervous Nelly.

Grocery stores are now selling Travel SIZE bedbug & Mites killer spray. I plan to buy me one. The name is PRONTO. I am sure there are other name brands available too.

I also bought me some "OFF!" insect replellent body spray so I can spray myself when I go into the ports.

I do plan to put my suitcase in a large plastic bag and spray it. Also plan to wash my clothes when I get home right away.

I am bug phobic. Nervous Nelly.

And you are assuming just because it's sold, that it works?

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry that you went through this and that they treated you the way they did!!

Funny how the nurse told you that the whole ship would be infested. That just shows you that she has no knowledge whatsoever!! If you were to bring bed bugs home, it doesn't mean that your whole house would be infested... they usually just stick to 1 or 2 places. Mainly, were they can feed all the time.

A couple of years ago we had bed bugs. It was the worst time of my life. We caught them early but still spent thousands of dollars dealing with them. Hubby and I slept in the same bed but he never showed any bites at all, but I was bitten all over. We did lots of research and the doctor himself told us that not everyone shows signs of bites but we all get bitten.

They do bite in a row of 3 - breakfast, lunch and dinner they call it! But if they get interrupted while they're feeding then naturally you would be left with only one bite. I had many bites in a row of 3 but also had some single bites. I had big welts and couldn't handle the itching!

Unfortunately, all the products that were mentioned in earlier posts will not work! People are not educated and think bug spray or bounce sheets will work. I have heard of so many products that people buy and NONE of them work!! Trust me...save your money!

We bought new luggage... the hard case ones. It's not as easy for the bugs to climb them. We don't leave them anywhere on the floor or tables or chairs. Bed bugs love wood... they don't only live in the beds. This may sound weird but hubby does a lot of traveling for work and he actually just puts the suitcase in the tub. LOL We never leave our luggage unzipped and garbage bags are our best friends! Tie them tightly with your dirty laundry or put them into the big ziploc bags. When you get home go straight to the washing machine and wash everything with hot water.

Bed bugs have changed the way we live and travel. It's definitely more work but for us worth it. I never want my kids to go through what they did a couple of years ago. We now have those bed bug covers on all our beds and pillows. They can live for 18 months without one feeding. Yuck!!

Just do your research on how to travel because they are everywhere, not just in cabins on cruises. Heck, we got it at my in laws over Christmas. They didn't even know they had them because they didn't show signs of bites. My hubby's uncle brought them to their house and he didn't show signs of bites either. It was a very big chain that went through the family and it took for me to get eaten before we figured all of this out. Eeek!!

Sorry for the long post... this is a topic that I can go on and on about... haha!!

Great Ideas! Thank you

I've done a lot of research on bedbugs. One thing I have found...you can be bitten up to 14 days before you get any kind of dermal reaction- so it is kind of unreasonable to emphatically say bedbugs had a specific origen UNLESS you have caught some critters.

Another study showed that many Dr's misdiagnose bedbug bites, people also misidentify non bedbugs as bedbugs.....

Since these critters can easily be hitchhikers into your lives- I myself try to be hyper vigilant.....and also try to inspect areas closely in my home.

Bernadette

I now have the Heeby Geebies...We are hoping to sail on the Liberty and are now praying that we have no issues...My son is highly allergic to most things and I would hate to think Id have to start treating my home for Bed Bugs....ewwwwwwwww and the other poster is right they arent so easy to get rid of and things need to be treated quiet a few times...

we found a bug in our room on inspiration on nov 16th after that ship was in dry dock for 2 weeks,we took pictures of the bed bug and had the portrer remove the bed bug from the room, i had bites on my head and carnival refused to help us treat our luggage or compensate for troubles we encountered.

you can search forums for "bed bug inspiration" and read our posts on this site.

my lawyer larry just wrote a letter to carnival to handle my problem, i will talk to him about your situation to see if it helps my case.

Carnival has to change there "Its your problem" attitude, "call the carnival 800 number" response.

after talking to larry about sending a letter to carnival now he is going on a royal cruise with me out of tampa on the 13th of january for 4 nites.

i just got back today on a new years eve cruise out of port canaveral with royal that was great, the monarch an older ship that was great.

i had bed bug bites on my head and didnt even know they were there untill the tv guy asked us if we had bites and we should inspect each other for bites.

go read our thread started on november 17th on this site, i dont want to talk about my situation any more than i have to, people are not very nice to people with these problems, they want to point there fingers at you, at least that how it has happend to me.

I wish you luck, i wish i would have gotten my lawyer involved right away, carnival dosnt respond to the BBB or consumer justice or the media.

Of course Carnival has to deny any responsibility and play ignorant. If they didn’t then Lawyer Larry’s job would be way too easy. And who pays for all these outlandish law suits.....you and me, the customers. These payouts don’t come from the magic cruise ship money tree, they come in the way of fair increases and onboard cutbacks. It’s a too bad regarding their response to your situation. It should have been more along the lines of “Here sir, take these 2 free drink coupons and $30 coupon for laundry services and enjoy a drink on the lido deck while we take care of the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience but your room should be good to go in about 2 hours, let us know if there is anything else we can do.” But would you admit to a mistake when there are people just waiting with their lawyers on speed dial. I can tell you one thing; I’m not on a first name basis with any lawyers.

Whats worse? A blood sucking bed bug, a blood sucking lawyer, or the blood sucking person that hired the lawyer?

Archived