Advice on Celebrating a Birthday Onboard?

QueenDido

Hi everyone!

I'm taking my best friend on the March 6th sailing of Solstice, and we are both really looking forward to it. Her birthday (25) is going to be on the second night of the cruise (at sea). I already have booked reservations at Murano to celebrate.

My question is -- do any of the more veteran cruisers out there have some good ideas to share for how to make a birthday onboard extra special? Special things to do? Little surprises I could set up?

Thanks!

We were on a cruise for my mom's 50th and I was able to get into her room and decorate it with things brought from home (decorations from the dollar store)..I imagine your stateroom attendant may be able to do it for you if you ask! Celebrity gave her a chocolate cake in her room and one in the MDR...need less to say we were sick of the cake lol I hope I get some of the same treatment when I celebrate my birthday while onboard!:D

We were on a cruise for my mom's 50th and I was able to get into her room and decorate it with things brought from home (decorations from the dollar store)..I imagine your stateroom attendant may be able to do it for you if you ask! Celebrity gave her a chocolate cake in her room and one in the MDR...need less to say we were sick of the cake lol I hope I get some of the same treatment when I celebrate my birthday while onboard!:D

Who made arrangements for the cake in the room and MDR? Thanks

for in the MDR, the waiter knew it was her birthday (we told him that we were going to the specialty restaurant that night) and he had it at our table when we returned the next night...I'm not 100% sure if the cake in the room was just because it was her birthday and they do that for everyone or if it was an "apology"...the morning of her birthday they had a card on her door wishing her a happy 50th ANNIVERSARY! We let them know that it was not an anniversary but a birthday and the cake appeared in our room.

Pre-dinner drinks at the Martini Bar. Stop there the night before or earlier in the day and let the bartenders know it's her birthday and you'd like them to help you celebrate. See if they'll make a "special" martini for her. If you know the kinds of things she likes to drink, have them create one and name it for her!

What a fun time you will both have no matter what! Enjoy every moment!

Pre-dinner drinks at the Martini Bar. Stop there the night before or earlier in the day and let the bartenders know it's her birthday and you'd like them to help you celebrate. See if they'll make a "special" martini for her. If you know the kinds of things she likes to drink, have them create one and name it for her!

What a fun time you will both have no matter what! Enjoy every moment!

Come on Anne, you can suggest better than that - How about a HUGE B'day party at Cinammon Beach in St John :) I make this comment jokingly because that is exactly what Host Anne did for her Hubby on his B'day (a FEW years back). We were invited along (okay, we stowawayed on the Ferry to St John with them) and it was MUCHO fun.

QueenDido, I think a Tiara or little crown that she could wear all day would be fun. Then when folks ask what the Crown is for and she states it her B'Day I am sure there will be Free Drinks a plenty.

Tiki

Tiki is right ~ Host Anne sets the bar very high on b'day celebrations! And I will expect a tiara on my next birthday now for sure ;)

It's very cool that her birthday falls on formal night. That will make it feel even more special. I wonder if there was any way that you could arrange for the a cappella group to sing happy birthday to her? I don't know if it will be the same group that was onboard in August, but they were young and cute, and I bet your friend would get a kick out of them singing to her.

The Cruise Director usually attends the Connections party, which we are guessing will be the morning of her birthday. You might be able to pull him aside and scheme a way for you and your friend to "happen" to be at one of their performances. I would think that they wouldn't have any trouble spotting the 25-year-old in a tiara!

You are a great friend ~ I can't get my girlfriends interested in cruising. Lucky for me, I have converted Mr. Tiki to a cruiseaholic! Can't wait to meet y'all on March 6!

Well, Tikis and Queen ~ going to St. John is a WONDERFUL idea (and I recommend it to everyone) but that's tough to make happen on her birthday. But definitely, if your sailing is going to St. Thomas, take her to St. John for an unforgettable day (I can help with that one) :)

Now that the Tikis have mentioned the a cappella group, why not work it out to get them to visit your table at Murano that evening to sing Happy Birthday to her! Definitely ask the Cruise Director if he can arrange this for you. On our recent Eclipse cruise, the a cappella group sang in Ensemble lounge before dinner each evening. That's just outside Murano so it would be easy for them to stop by. It's up to the Cruise Director to schedule entertainers so they may not be singing in Ensemble that night, but then again, they might. Do ask the Cruise Director if they can help you make the night special.

Great suggestion, Tikis!!!!

All of the suggestions are good. We were on the Equinox last month - went to Merinos - that in itself is a real treat. My very favorite specialty restaurant of all time.

Also, I suggest trying the crepe's restaurant - I think it's Bestro on Five - it is well worth the little added charge ($5.00 pp). Get the Italian crepe for dessert. Yum! The Asian was also spectacular.

These are some great suggestions, thanks everyone! I especially like the ideas about a special martini and also the a cappella group possibly singing in Murano. Now the trick would just be to get a hold of the Cruise Director and convince him!

Thanks!

You are a great friend ~ I can't get my girlfriends interested in cruising. Lucky for me, I have converted Mr. Tiki to a cruiseaholic! Can't wait to meet y'all on March 6!

It is just the opposite for me - I can't get my boyfriend interested in cruising so I had to convert my best friend!

Hi,

Friends sailing with us ordered cabin decorations through the cruise line as a surprise for our birthdays and the steward(s) put them up.

Here are a couple links to show the decor:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2076813780099099348xwGDMj

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2432348470099099348zqgGeL

Hope that helps you have an idea of what type of thing is available through the cruise line.

Be aware that they are crepe paper and the marine humidity will cause them to sag, quickly. ;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

CM

Archived