New to HAL - a couple of questions

VikeQn2

We are sailing on the Big "O" on Jan. 22. We have salied on RCI 14 times, NCL 3 times and Carnival 3 times. At the risk of being flamed- please note by bar bill is usually well over 1,000 bucks. I was wondering if HAL has cracked down on smuggled luggage in the suitcase like the other lines have? Last year RCI even took my cough medicine. We like to have a drink in our state room before dinner and before bed. Just wondering? Gone are the days of buying a bottle on board and taking it back to your stateroom. That was the best of both worlds.

Second question - we booked balcony gty. How soon do you think we will know our stateroom? Anyone have any experience with booking guarentee?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We sailed on HAL a couple of years ago, but have spoken to folks recently, and they have said that they are getting more lenient as to bringning on booze. We keep everything in its original bottle, wrap it up really good, and put it in pant legs! We cruised RCI last year, and did the same thing. We have never been called to the "naughty" room.... Neither has anyone we have spoken to. I would think you are ok...

The guarantee assignments begin at about three weeks out, and the curve peaks around 10 or 11 days out ... but you may not know until embarkation day. We've done 8 guarantees and most assignments have shown up in our Reservations page around 10 days out.

We've never smuggled booze, and can't offer any info on enforcement.

HAL's plan to purchase bottles for the stateroom is pretty reasonable, considering. It's certainly more expensive than buying a bottle and smuggling it on board, but it's a whole lot less than purchasing from the bar by the drink. If you will consume more than ten drinks (of the same liquor) over the course of your cruise, it's probably cost efficient to order the bottle for your room. Plus you avoid the nonsense involved with smuggling, not to mention the questionable ethics.

Just off a great HAL cruise. We brought on a case of wine and champagne for our cabin, sometimes enjoying a bottle on the aft deck. Happy hour was a great bargain with 2 for 1 drinks at several bars (Crow's Nest on the very top and the Ocean Bar) from 3:30-4:30 daily, sometimes there was a later one in the evening. I had great fun at the Mixology classes where several cocktails were demonstrated and we got to taste (full servings) of 3-4 cocktails for $12.50. Lots of options:D

I'd much rather order a bottle for the room from HAL! Off to search the web site!

We order a bottle to be delivered to our room every cruise. It is really not that much more than what you would pay in the stores, plus you don't have the inconvenience of trying to hide it. We purchase a soda card and that is how we get our mixes for it. We use this for when we are sitting on our balcony enjoying the view or when we are getting ready for dinner. Still have a good bar bill for ones we get outside the room.

Just off a great HAL cruise. We brought on a case of wine and champagne for our cabin, sometimes enjoying a bottle on the aft deck. Happy hour was a great bargain with 2 for 1 drinks at several bars (Crow's Nest on the very top and the Ocean Bar) from 3:30-4:30 daily, sometimes there was a later one in the evening. I had great fun at the Mixology classes where several cocktails were demonstrated and we got to taste (full servings) of 3-4 cocktails for $12.50. Lots of options:D

The mixology class sounds like fun! Do they offer that at various times? Do you have to make a reservation right away? What kind of cocktails did you make? Thanks!

I have been on 20 plus HAL cruises. HAL lets you take as much wine as you wish on board at any port. Regarding hard liquor, HAL is not nearly as strict as RCL. I take some hard liquor in a plastic bottle in my luggage and have never had a problem. I don't think that HAL has one of those obnoxious "naughty rooms" that RCL and Celebrity have.

That said and done, but a beverage card and use it at the bars. HAL has to make a profit and you sound that you are going to help the line have a banner 2011!

I an sailing on the Zaandam on 1/12 in a BC guaranty. Haven't got my assignment yet, but I usually book a guaranty since it is the best priced category. I have never been disappointed, but I have never been upgraded to anything but a different location. In other words I have never gotten a big suite for the price of a guaranteed mini-suite.

Have fun.:)

You can arrive at the pier at 11 AM.

You will be given a number -- boarding usually starts around 11:30 -- by numbers. You will then be directed to the Lido for lunch. Cabins are usually ready about 1:30 -- an announcement will be made.

We also pre-order alcohol for our cabin.

You are permitted to bring onto the ship as much wine, champagne, bottled water and soda as you want -- there is no limit on these items.

Archived