Feel like a first time cruiser!

flatpik6

Hi. We are new members of the board but have been extracting value from this site for a long, long time as "lurkers". While we're not nearly as experienced with cruising as most of you, we have been on several trips using a couple of different cruise lines. In fact we went as recently as July, 2010 on Destiny. Now we are booked on the March 26 sailing aboard the Dream and for some reason are as excited as 3 year olds in a candy store.

It's odd because after our last cruise on Destiny, I was really indifferent to cruising again. There were several things I didn't really enjoy although it was still an enjoyable trip. The more we thought about it, the more clear it became that we really didn't get much out of that particular ship and one of the ports. (Ocho Rios).

Overall, we had a blast though because we were spending time with our teenage daughters and they are a "hoot".

Well we decided to book another trip only this time on a larger ship, (which we usually prefer), and with an itinerary in the Eastern Caribbean versus the Western. Needless to say we are all really excited. Can't wait to explore the Dream.

We are still undecided on what to do in St. Martin though. Most all to the activities we see are geared around Orient Beach and just aren't that thrilled about going there. In fact we would like to find something that doesn't incur snorkeling, or sailing, etc...

Anyway, thanks for all of the great information you share on here.

Welcome. My DH, DB and DSIL and I will also be on this sailing. We have never been on the Dream. We cant wait. We have all sailed before several times but not near as many as some or as we would like. We always start count down as soon as we book and sometimes that is 2 yrs. out. So we are like kids too.

The Sunset Bar & Grill is quite an experience! Planes come in for landing literally feet over the beach!! When they take off the exhaust is strong and despite the warnings there are always people who think they can stand it... fun to watch them get blown into the water! :D Good food too! Any taxi can take you there! We love it!! :p

The Sunset Bar & Grill is quite an experience! Planes come in for landing literally feet over the beach!!

iagree.gif There is plenty to see and do within walking distance of the pier in St. Maarten (though the Sunset Bar and Grill is more of a cab ride). I was supposed to go scuba diving the last time I was there, but the excursion was canceled due to low viz...so we make a walking tour of the town, visited The Yoda Guy (the creator of Yoda from Star Wars) and enjoyed the shopping and culture.

I reccommend taking a tour with Bernard's Tours. It is a fantastic tour. He usually stops at Orient Beach for a short time, but if you talk to him, he may give you other options. I have heard he sometimes does other things, instead. Very good tour, very reasonable price.

I reccommend taking a tour with Bernard's Tours. It is a fantastic tour. He usually stops at Orient Beach for a short time, but if you talk to him, he may give you other options. I have heard he sometimes does other things, instead. Very good tour, very reasonable price.

After hearing all the positive comments about Bernard and Joyce Prince, my A-PVP reached out to them both for guidance. Joyce is fully booked and has no availability during this timeframe. While many of you have really endorsed Bernard, she, (the A-PVP), found him to really vague and ambiguous in his email correspondence. He said he could do something other than Orient Beach but offered no alternatives. Perhaps I'll have her reach out to him again after she get's home this evening.

You are going to LOVE the Dream. We were on her in October (it was our first cruise ever) and also did the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We did a Bernard's Tour and to be honest, it was awful. We had a customized tour to spend majority of our time at Sunset Beach (also referred to as Maho Beach), however our driver decided to spend almost 2 hours at Orient Beach. The a/c on the bus didn't work and all of the beverages that were promised (and were supposed to be served cold) were served hot (beer, soda, rum punch).

If we could do St. Maarten again, we would probably just walk around the shopping area at port and enjoy the beach there.

Enjoy!

Hi. Now we are booked on the March 26 sailing aboard the Dream and for some reason are as excited as 3 year olds in a candy store.

We will be on the Dream one week before you. We will miss you on the ship, but we may run into you at Publix :D. Welcome to the boards...

Archived