confused abot international roaming with Verizon

S.S.Oceanlover

We are on a family share plan with Verizon and my son is presently on the Pride in Freeport.

At some point since yesterday he turned on his Droid2 phone for 2 minutes and racked up about $200 in roaming charges.

They sent my wife a text letting her know so she called Verizon and the lady added international roaming and back dated it a day so he didnt have to pay the $200.

They said the prorated plan would cancel itself out on Monday and it would be about $20-$30.

What I don't know is does this cover data and calls because most of the roaming was from data.

When he is in Nassau tomorrow would he be able to call us or text us without being charged anything additional?

Sorry for the long post.

Bill

I learned this the hard way everytime you turn on the phone it automatically does any necessary updates and that also incurs roaming charges even with the international plan and every port is different as to what they charge for roaming, even he if doesn't access the internet he will be charged roaming for data your also being charged for incoming and out going texts 5 cents for out going 25 cents for incoming Verizon fails to tell you this and then you get a huge bill. It cost me 40.00 extra dollars in data charges plus the texts so much for a smart phone. If possible maybe he can check in from a cheap internet cafe. The best idea is to take out the battery and don't use the phone unless it is an emergency, I know its hard to be away and not check in but the charges may come as a surprise.

Does anyone know if when the Droid2 is in Airplane mode will it still try to update? I will be on the Pride the week of the 16th. I was going to take my phone because I use it as my alarm clock with the desk docking station. Guess I will have to do more checking up on this . If anyone knows please post.

Thank you

If he has a smart phone it will automatically get emails and such and download them, hense the data usage. When we travel we shut data off on the phone and just use it for in case of emergency. Also if he calls keep it short, it will be a $5 call though.

We'll be in Hawaii, will I encounter any issues using my smartphone there ? Yes, I know that Hawaii is part of the US, just want to be sure before I use it. Strictly on land, not on the ship, by the way.

I go to the Bahamas (Nassau and Freeport) often. Before I get to whether it's Freeport or Nassau I would call Verizon and ask the rep to add Verizon Global Data package plan to my existing plan. Depending on the number of day you stay in the Bahamas that's the number of day Verizon will charged you. Last month I was in the Bahamas for 5 days. Verizon charged me $10.00 for 5 days for unlimited data usage. I have a Blackberry. It's cheaper to text than to make calls. My advice to you is to tell your son to text you instead of calling you unless it's an emergency.

We are on a family share plan with Verizon and my son is presently on the Pride in Freeport.

At some point since yesterday he turned on his Droid2 phone for 2 minutes and racked up about $200 in roaming charges.

They sent my wife a text letting her know so she called Verizon and the lady added international roaming and back dated it a day so he didnt have to pay the $200.

They said the prorated plan would cancel itself out on Monday and it would be about $20-$30.

What I don't know is does this cover data and calls because most of the roaming was from data.

When he is in Nassau tomorrow would he be able to call us or text us without being charged anything additional?

Sorry for the long post.

Bill

A phone in airplane mode will not get data or send/ receive calls.

On Hawaii I would call and ask your carrier. I know it is the US but it is not in the continental. My husband thinks that when a carrier says US that include Hawaii and Alaska.

Hi,

I always add the global data package to my Verizon droid and/or blackberry when I cruise. I have unlimited use for data only emails/facebook/internet access. Text messages in Nassau will cost 50 cents each. Calling is very expensive.. probably 2.00 per min or even more.

If he is going to St Thomas- texting is included in your normal text package. For me I have unlimited texting so it would be free. I believe I can call for free as well only from St Thomas. (I know when I call from San Juan,PR.. it's free)

Good luck!

Sue

I've been posting this on a few discussions lately, so sorry for the repeat, but when I was on the Legend last week, ship to shore charges were only 99 cents a minute, cheaper than any roaming calls oh the cell phone...its not too expensive to call and check in using the phone in the room.

I've been posting this on a few discussions lately, so sorry for the repeat, but when I was on the Legend last week, ship to shore charges were only 99 cents a minute, cheaper than any roaming calls oh the cell phone...its not too expensive to call and check in using the phone in the room.

Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea...I will be turning off my cell phone because I don't want any chance of those charges showing up on my bill! :eek:

We're leaving in two weeks on the Freedom. I called Verizon they turned on my International calling and will turn on Global Data package just for the dates we're gone. They also took the ship name and ports and sent me a great email detailing the per minute roaming charges that would apply for calls in each port, as well as text charges, so that we can easily see where it is better for us to call and text. With the Global data we'll have unlimited emails, internet (they say this includes while at sea) and facebook. So I see no reason to text if I can email and facebook or Blackberry message for the fee of the Global Plan and nothing else.

I was told by the Global Customer service Rep that simply turning off the data would not work to make no charges incur at all on my BlackBerry . . . he said you need to have it off at all times or not with you to ensure no charges. Not sure if this is the same for the Droid or not.

We always cut off our phones as soon as we leave US ports. They charge a lot. My sister has a blackberry and she didn't cut off hers in time so it charged her a bunch for an update and one text. It's best to just leave the phones in your luggage cut off if you don't want a high bill.

If he has a smart phone it will automatically get emails and such and download them, hense the data usage. When we travel we shut data off on the phone and just use it for in case of emergency. Also if he calls keep it short, it will be a $5 call though.

The ship's charge is about that much a minute IIRC. We take no chances, phones get turned off, put in safe, enjoy vacation. The phones do way too much automatically.

We'll be in Hawaii, will I encounter any issues using my smartphone there ? Yes, I know that Hawaii is part of the US, just want to be sure before I use it. Strictly on land, not on the ship, by the way.

From first hand experience, Verizon covers Hawaii and Alaska on land just like you were at home

We're leaving in two weeks on the Freedom. I called Verizon they turned on my International calling and will turn on Global Data package just for the dates we're gone. They also took the ship name and ports and sent me a great email detailing the per minute roaming charges that would apply for calls in each port, as well as text charges, so that we can easily see where it is better for us to call and text. With the Global data we'll have unlimited emails, internet (they say this includes while at sea) and facebook. So I see no reason to text if I can email and facebook or Blackberry message for the fee of the Global Plan and nothing else.

I was told by the Global Customer service Rep that simply turning off the data would not work to make no charges incur at all on my BlackBerry . . . he said you need to have it off at all times or not with you to ensure no charges. Not sure if this is the same for the Droid or not.

The problem with the so called Smart Phones and Blackberry's is the way they handle data. You can turn off: internet access, data push, and automatic email pushing, however both types of phones still connect and use minimal amount of data to update widgets like weather, news, gps location, and also time and date.

As others have indicated I would recommend using text messaging exclusivley while on the ship and out of port by at least a couple of miles. I believe that if you keep your phone turned off in port and only use it for text on the ship, the Verizon charges would be .05 per incoming and .50 for outgoing texts (also note that this applies to each outgoing receipient, if you multi copy on your messages)

Ok I just called Verizon I am going on the Pride on the 16th of this month I have a Droid 2. I have them turning on International service the day I cruise out and I have to call back the day we come back to have them turn it off. They will then only charge me for the dates I have it turned on, this is less then $17. My phone has unlimited data plan so I can use internet, Email, Facebook with no additional charges. If I text someone it will cost me $.50 if I get a text it will cost me $.05. Piture messages are $.50 out going $.25 incoming. You can also suspend text messaging so no one can text you and you can not text anyone. If you call Verizon they will check all info with the ship you are on and the dates you are on it. They will then send you an email explaining everything. Phone calls cost $2.49 a min. You can set it up to start on that date or call them the day you are leaving and they can turn it on right away for you. The guy at customer service from Verizon was very helpful.

I hope this info helps.

turns out my post was all for naught although others may have learned something.

I thought my son was to be in Nassau today and thought they were in Freeport yesterday but I had it backwards.

They were scheduled to be in Freeport today but the port of call was cancelled due to high winds and high seas.

They got $9.44 credit for the missed POC.

He sent me this info via the internet on the ship.

Thanks for all the info.

Bill

A phone in airplane mode will not get data or send/ receive calls.

On Hawaii I would call and ask your carrier. I know it is the US but it is not in the continental. My husband thinks that when a carrier says US that include Hawaii and Alaska.

When I was in Alaska on a cruise last summer I used my Verizon phone on land and did not incur any additional charges.

Ok I just called Verizon I am going on the Pride on the 16th of this month I have a Droid 2. I have them turning on International service the day I cruise out and I have to call back the day we come back to have them turn it off. They will then only charge me for the dates I have it turned on, this is less then $17. My phone has unlimited data plan so I can use internet, Email, Facebook with no additional charges. If I text someone it will cost me $.50 if I get a text it will cost me $.05. Piture messages are $.50 out going $.25 incoming. You can also suspend text messaging so no one can text you and you can not text anyone. If you call Verizon they will check all info with the ship you are on and the dates you are on it. They will then send you an email explaining everything. Phone calls cost $2.49 a min. You can set it up to start on that date or call them the day you are leaving and they can turn it on right away for you. The guy at customer service from Verizon was very helpful.

I hope this info helps.

I have been on the phone on hold for 35 minutes with someone who is trying to figure this out. I called previously and they said there was no prorated option, it was $20-ish per MB of data. This one said that I can only prorate email usage but not FB or anything else....OMG...now I just got disconnected. Ugh...

Back to the drawing board.

Welcome to Global & International Services

Whether you are calling someone internationally or traveling globally, Verizon Wireless offers a suite of services to meet your needs.

During your conversation with Verizon Wireless you asked us to email the following Global/International information to you.

Global RatesCountryStandard Rate

per min$4.99 Global Value Rate

per minRate per Message (Send)Rate per Message (Receive)Picture/Video Rate (Send)Picture/Video Rate (Receive)Pay Per Use Rate (KB)Handset DataCarnival Pride$2.49N/A$0.50$0.05$0.50$0.25$0.020/KB

($20.48/MB)PAY PR USE

• Please see VZW International Services – Outside the U.S. for our full suite of Global Services.
  • If you do not have a data plan or feature, you will be charged at the Pay Per Use Rate.
  • Features with a data allowance may be available. Contact Customer Service for details.
  • When sending messages, you will be charged per recipient, per message.
  • Please check the list of countries and carriers where text and picture/video functionality is available.
  • Some countries may be served by CDMA voice only, but have GSM Voice and Data. In some areas, you may need to manually select the GSM network to send/receive data. Prior to travel, check your user manual for instructions on how to do a manual network selection.
  • When you send or receive Picture/Video messages while roaming, additional data charges will apply.

Dialing Instructions - The dialing instructions for your countries can be found below.Country CodeDial NetworkDialing FromDialing ToInstructionCDMACarnival PrideU.S.Dial 011 then 1 then NumberCDMACarnival PrideOther CountriesDial 011 then Country Code then NumberCDMACarnival PrideCustomer ServiceDial 011 then 1 then 908-559-4899

• Your device may have an International Dial key that automatically inserts the exit code for outbound calls. Please refer to your Quick Reference Guide for specific instructions.
  • To check your Voice Mail, use the "From the Country to the US" instructions and call your mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted.
  • Global Support Team is available 24/7.
  • Please see VZW International Services – Outside the U.S. for additional countries.

Did you know Verizon Wireless offers voice service in over 220 countries and data service in more than 200 countries, over 110 with 3G speed worldwide?

Verizon Wireless would like to take this opportunity to wish you a safe trip and thank you for your continued Global business.

Need assistance while roaming internationally? Call our support line 24/7. 1.908.559.4899

Archived