confused abot international roaming with Verizon

S.S.Oceanlover

I have them turning on International service the day I cruise out and I have to call back the day we come back to have them turn it off. They will then only charge me for the dates I have it turned on, this is less then $17. My phone has unlimited data plan so I can use internet, Email, Facebook with no additional charges. If I text someone it will cost me $.50 if I get a text it will cost me $.05. Piture messages are $.50 out going $.25 incoming. Phone calls cost $2.49 a min.I hope this info helps.

My question is what are the ship's charges in addition to these? (of course, providing you are on the ship when you use any of the phone services). Those are the killers unless it's changed.

My question is what are the ship's charges in addition to these? (of course, providing you are on the ship when you use any of the phone services). Those are the killers unless it's changed.

From what Verizon told me that is the only fees. If you go to Carnival's web site any questions about cell phone use takes you to cellular at sea dot com.

Here is what that site says copied form the site.

"Wireless Maritime Services (WMS) offers an advanced roaming network onboard select Cruise Ships and Ferries allowing you to make and receive calls using your own handset and phone number. WMS cellular service is available onboard while the ship is at sea. International roaming charges apply and will be billed to you by your home carrier"

Also...

"

Explanation of Rates and Charges

Service is provided by Wireless Maritime Services. Use of the WMS services requires compatible wireless phone and qualified wireless service with a home carrier provider that has a roaming agreement with WMS. Your home network will determine the international roaming rates you pay for usage.

WMS provides CDMA, GSM voice and GPRS data service. Other service features may not be available. Voice usage is measured during the time you are connected to your system, which is approximately from the time you press the button that initiates or answers the call until approximately the time the first party terminates the call. Voice usage for each call is billed in full minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute. Data usage for each billing record will be rounded up to the next kilobyte and a cost will be associated with each billing record and rounded to the nearest cent"

I hope this information helps.

What about regular phones, not smart phones, do you still need to turn them off?

Same rates apply from what I have read but not all phones may work. I think most due but you will have to double check by calling Verizon. (800) 922-0204 is the number I called to get most of my answers, or the Verizon web site.

Also have to post NEXT WEEKEND WE CRUISE!!! I remember you posted on the Roll call.. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Calling Verizon is worse than trying to call Carnival...lol

I just got off the phone with Verizon, we are cruising next week on Ecstasy. The guy told me that the best thing to do is leave the phone off and take out the battery so that it won't try to updata data.

Now I have unlimited data at home....but this guy said it would cost a fortune to use the phone on a cruise! Why can't we just get a straight answer!

Calling Verizon is worse than trying to call Carnival...lol

I just got off the phone with Verizon, we are cruising next week on Ecstasy. The guy told me that the best thing to do is leave the phone off and take out the battery so that it won't try to updata data.

Now I have unlimited data at home....but this guy said it would cost a fortune to use the phone on a cruise! Why can't we just get a straight answer!

you are right about that.

Still trying to get my sons mess straightened out.

I would take his advice and take the battery out.

My son turned on his phone for 2 minutes and all his data came through and had about $200 in roaming charges.

They added the international roaming at $65.99 for the week he was on the cruise and since his billing cycle ended in the middle of the week got charged for 2 months of international roaming.

Everybody on here says they got theirs prorated but Verizon insist they do not do that. This is after 3 different people on 3 different calls to Verizon.

Bill

I had a blackberry with Verizon for my cruise last year. I added the free International Roaming before I left. This was good only for phone calls/text, but not data. I turned the data off on my phone, but left the phone on the entire time. I only got charged for the times that I used the phone to make call, which was $2.49 a min on the ship, but was 99 cents in Mexico and $1.99 in Grand Cayman. Wasn't charged anything extra than what I used, just turn off the data and you're fine!

I had a blackberry with Verizon for my cruise last year. I added the free International Roaming before I left. This was good only for phone calls/text, but not data. I turned the data off on my phone, but left the phone on the entire time. I only got charged for the times that I used the phone to make call, which was $2.49 a min on the ship, but was 99 cents in Mexico and $1.99 in Grand Cayman. Wasn't charged anything extra than what I used, just turn off the data and you're fine!

was your international roaming prorated for just the time you cruised or did you have to pay for the whole month?

Bill

cruzin:

hi' date=' it's sheree

i was going to do the same thing with my droid. did they say if calling from st thomas and san juan would still be free as they are considered us?

would you mind forwarding me that email?

shereemcg at gmail

thanks

sheree[/quote']

Unless something has changed in the last year which is possiable only San Juan was included on your regular Verizon plan.

I would love to know the exact fee for the international data plan. I have three Droids I plan to put on this during our cruise in March. If anyone gets a bill for a 7 day cruise, please post the charges.

was your international roaming prorated for just the time you cruised or did you have to pay for the whole month?

Bill

International Roaming is free to add. I didn't add any plan or anything. I only had to pay for when I actually used my phone.

Archived