LIVE from the Allure -- Alluring Adventure Sets Sail on 9 January 2011!!!

On Voyager or Freedom class ships we use the Solarium hot tubs exclusively. How many are there in this area on Allure? I imagine there is one overhanging the edge of the ship like Freedom, but are there one or two more inside ones? Were they hot? I'm a hot tub snob and if it isn't at least 101F then its just a pool.

There are two hot tubs and one small pool inside the Solarium. The two cantilevered hot tubs are now just outside the Solarium, so they are not subject to the no-kids rule.

I have not found the Solarium hot tubs to be particularly hot, so they may not be hot enough for you. I don't like them too hot, and they've been just fine for me.

I don't eat meat. What, besides roast beef sandwiches, is available in Park Cafe at lunchtime?

Thanks.

Some other items they have in Park Cafe are build-your-own salad, pre-made paninni that they grill for you on order, and at breakfast: build-your-own bagel, pastries, croissants, breakfast paninni with eggs/vegetables.

I would also check out the Solarium Bistro, which has a lot of vegetarian items. I'm seeing a lot of dishes with lentils, and miso.

Hi there, would it be possible to see if they have the beer cooler deal?

thanks

If you are talking about that cool cooler/tote that's filled with ice and bottled beer, they do NOT have it yet on the Allure. They do have buckets of beer, but I haven't seen a price on those yet, and you don't keep the bucket.

do they have those comfy round chairs in the solarium that everyone loves? I know people posted pics of them during the ignaugural cruises but I know they were not there for the Dec 26 cruise.

Nope - haven't found them so far, and I've been looking. :(

Today is our first day at sea, and we have done a whole lot of nothin'! Our Meet & Mingle was this morning, and we all received the notepad in a little folder, and they gave away some DVDs and umbrellas. Zach provided us a lot of details about the ship, and Royal in general. He mentioned that Liberty is going into dry dock next week, and the Freedom will follow. Both will be retrofitted with the new TVs, and the barber shops will be replaced with Cupcake Cupboards. Apparently, this concept has been very popular for them.

Yesterday we spent quite a bit of time exploring the ship. Tried our hand at general trivia, and 80s Music Trivia, which we dominated. :) And even though I had to do a Michael Jackson impersonation as part of a tie-breaker, I got that $#@! keychain!!

Last night was our Chef's Table - what a fantastic experience!!! Food was wonderful, wines were okay but still plentiful. In the past few days, they have changed the dessert to a trio of vanilla ice cream, chantilly cream and hazelnut flourless cake with ganache. With that comes a shot of iced frangelica. I will post the menu later, but all I can say is that this is well worth the $75 surcharge. It's truly a memorable night!

I'm off to the spa for a facial soon, and then dinner in the MDR. Because we were at Chef's Table, I did not get the menus from MDR last night - they are not posting them outside the room any longer. Tonight we will also catch Oceanaria, which I've heard rave reviews of, and then will head to Vintages to meet up with the folks we met at the Chef's Table last night. So I guess maybe my definition of 'nothing' differs from other people's :)

Other than the lack of the beer cooler, everything sounds good! I do have one question: can an iPhone be charged in the iPod dock in the room? We just carry iPhones now and don't bother with iPods.

Thanks, and I look forward to more of your posts.

I do have one question: can an iPhone be charged in the iPod dock in the room? We just carry iPhones now and don't bother with iPods.

I was on the Allure last week and I did charge my iPhone on the docks in the room all week long. The kids loved it - they could play their music in the room!

Hawfish -

Can you tell us who you have as the headliner? Thanks.

M

The Headliner is El Gaucho - an interactive musical/comedy extravaganza.

Don't know what happened to Beatlemania? That's what they were saying earlier in the week. :confused:

Linda,

Thanks for posting the lunch menu for Giovanni's. I have heard so much about the filet on here, that I wanted to see if it was available for lunch as well as dinner. It looks like they serve a strip steak for lunch and a filet mignon for dinner.

Thanks again!

We are going there tonight for dinner, and I will verify. But according to the menus posted on the guest services tv and the interactive touch screen boards, it looks like there is only one menu. The 'filet' is a filet of sole. But I've heard other people rave about the filet, so who knows?

Other than the lack of the beer cooler, everything sounds good! I do have one question: can an iPhone be charged in the iPod dock in the room? We just carry iPhones now and don't bother with iPods.

Thanks, and I look forward to more of your posts.

Yes - there is a 'playing' dock and a 'charging' dock. Though we cannot DH's new iPod Touch to dock correctly, so we can't actually use it. Don't know what the issue is there.

So which was the formal night, last night or tonight? From the webcam, it looked like many people were dressed up last night.

Monday night was formal, though in general, I feel as though everyone is slightly more dressed up this cruise. Nothing outrageous, but it is a slightly older crowd, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Who is this week's cruise director? We sail next week and are wondering if our CD will be Ken Rush. THANKS!!

Ken Rush - doing a fantastic job, as always. I love that guy!!! He is 10 days away from being with Royal for 26 years - amazing!

We are slowly pulling into St. Thomas. Today, we are headed to St. John on the Champagne Catamaran Sail - will let you know how that goes. We booked it using the TV reservation system, which could not have been easier.

Same thing for dinner reservations. Though, as many have said, if you have your heart set on a certain restaurant, you will want to book in advance. Almost all fill up completely between 6pm-8:30pm ahead of time, so you aren't getting in there at all during those times.

Tonight we are dining at Giovanni's, mostly because last night was the Venetian Feast in the MDR, and it was rather disappointing. Not horrible, but not something I would want to have again.

It's about time to head down and grab some coffee. Though I haven't tried to use the coffee maker in our room - I should do that at some point.

Hawkfish - Can you find out what beers are on tap the the Bow & Stern Pub on the promenade deck? Also, I heard they have Murphy's, but was wondering if it is their Irish Red or Irish Stout.

Thanks!

The menu just says Murphy's, so I will see what I can find out.

Also, to whomever was asking about Maker's Mark a couple of months ago, they absolutely have Maker's onboard, in most of the bars that we have visited. They also have quite a selection of small batch bourbons (Booker's, Basil-Hayden, etc.) on board, so if you are a bourbon drinker, you are set.

glad you are enjoying the Allure.. I'll be there Jan. 23 for the next eastern itinerary... can you please let me know when the other formal nite is.. besides the one on day 2.... we want to plan our specialty dining and don't want to do it on formal nites as the menu is usually good in the MDR on those nites.. altho it sounds like you weren't impressed with the Venetian Feast...

We are slowly pulling into St. Thomas. Today, we are headed to St. John on the Champagne Catamaran Sail - will let you know how that goes. We booked it using the TV reservation system, which could not have been easier.

Same thing for dinner reservations. Though, as many have said, if you have your heart set on a certain restaurant, you will want to book in advance. Almost all fill up completely between 6pm-8:30pm ahead of time, so you aren't getting in there at all during those times.

Tonight we are dining at Giovanni's, mostly because last night was the Venetian Feast in the MDR, and it was rather disappointing. Not horrible, but not something I would want to have again.

It's about time to head down and grab some coffee. Though I haven't tried to use the coffee maker in our room - I should do that at some point.

Thanks so much for the updates. Sounds like you're having a great time despite the disappointing dinner last night. We're on next week. What constitutes a Venetian Feast?

We saw El Gaucho on another cruise. They were hilarious! Looks like the Headliners are changing every week. ? I have written to RCCL in the past and they have given me the names of the entertainers, including Headliners. Who is playing in the Schooner bar? That's what I do for a living and have enjoyed a few duets with many of them....except Matt Yee.Lets just say the biggest ego on sea....

We saw El Gaucho on another cruise. They were hilarious! Looks like the Headliners are changing every week. ? I have written to RCCL in the past and they have given me the names of the entertainers, including Headliners. Who is playing in the Schooner bar? That's what I do for a living and have enjoyed a few duets with many of them....except Matt Yee.Lets just say the biggest ego on sea....

Well you will be glad to know that he is starting his new tour on the Allure on 1-23-11.:eek:

http://www.mattyee.com/calendar.html

Thanks so much! 20 doesn't seem like many for the number of passengers they have:(. We will have to ensure we are there early!

Suzanne (Canadian Mom Cruiser)

Hi,

What are the dect phones? I might want them for keeping in touch with the kids. How much do they cost, too?

Thanks!

Awww...man Spring Valley...oh well, looks like no piano bar on this trip! I know a lot of people like his schtick, but I prefer an entertainer who is more versatile and a better musician. I've heard some great ones on RCCL.

Matt Yee reminds me of thos "dueling piano" types who rely on props and antics. I can handle that late at night, but good piano bar players should be able to cover great music, good vocals (guests) and be able to do a range of songs. He is just not that.

Archived