Kid in bars? If not, where?

pinma

We're traveling with a 10 and a 12 year old. Will they be allowed in bars or should I send DH on a pub crawl alone? Or can anyone recommend a place they'd be welcome to get sodas and munchies while we have a drink?

Most bars allow kids. The only one I know for sure that doesn't is the Chart Room.

It's a good idea to get kids that age off Duval Street by 10:00 or so in my opinion. Even earlier in the day be aware that some of the singers/entertainers in the bars can be somewhat off-color;)

If you're there later in the day take the kids to Mallory Square for Sunset festival. They'll enjoy the street performers and might be picked to participate if they raise their hand!

We're only in port until 3PM so hopefully it will be OK.

We like to try local beers in port. Doing that with the kids in tow was A-OK in AK but I did wonder about Key West. We'll play it by ear!

Can anyone suggest a great place to go for a flight of beer AND a decent snacky lunch with kids in tow?

We're only in port until 3PM so hopefully it will be OK.

During the day time, you will have no problem with the kids. The bars are family friendly....well, most of them. My only question is, are you signing up for a ship excursion? If that's the case, there may be an age limit and stragglers aren't usually permitted.

If you like amber ales, try Key West Sunset Ale. Personally, I think it's better than Amberbach, Bud American Ale, etc.

We'd like to just go on foot. If the kids can come with us, we won't book an excursion. If not, I was going to suggest DH do an excursion. Sounds like we won't have to go that route.

I do love ales. Hopefully the name Key West Sunset Ale will stick with me!

Thank you :-)

You will pass dozens of places for lunch on Duval Street. Suggestions:

Jack Flats. Good food in a family friendly bar.

Fogarty's. Outdoor dining, people watch on Duval while you eat.

Alonzo's. On the old waterfront. Outdoor seating available.

There are soooooo many places to eat, and most are fine to get a simple lunch of sandwiche's, etc. with kids:)

The kids might enjoy the Butterfly Conservatory, Mel Fishers Treasure Museum, or Shipwreck Historeum. Or Hemingway House if they're into cats and literature:D

If you and hubby want another nice stop for a brew check out Schooner Wharf on the waterfront not far from Alonzo's. Conch Republic Seafood Company is also in that area and is very popular. We haven't eaten there in several years, the food just didn't impress us the couple times we tried it for dinner. But lots of people like it.

We'd like to just go on foot. If the kids can come with us, we won't book an excursion. If not, I was going to suggest DH do an excursion. Sounds like we won't have to go that route.

I do love ales. Hopefully the name Key West Sunset Ale will stick with me!

Thank you :-)

You should be fine then. The only main bars on the lower end of Duval I recommend skipping are Irish Kevin's and the Garden of Eden. The guitar player at Irish Kevin's tends to be very crude and it may not be the best material for the kids. The Garden of Eden is on the roof of the Bull and Whistle bar and is clothing optional. The main tourist attractions...Hog's Breath, Sloppy Joes, etc, will be fine.

About the Chart Room at the Pier House...

"Although we discourage having children in the Chart Room Bar, it is not prohibited. Children are allowed to sit at one of the tables when accompanied by an adult but they are not allowed to sit at the bar. There is no cut off time when children are required to leave the Chart Room. However, people should keep in mind when considering bringing a child to the Chart Room that it is a smoker friendly environment."

It doesn't open until 4:00 ish so you wouldn't be able to go there, but you could have a nice lunch at the beachside restaurant there.

Pjk

• 4 weeks later...

My 8 year old has been in a ton of bars in Key West. Some wont' let the kids sit AT the bar, but some did... depending on how crowded it is.

She's been in: Captain Tony's, Sloppy Joe's, Margaritaville, Green Parrot, Sunset Pier (that's outside anyway, but we had a drink while she danced to the music), Hog's Breath, downstairs at the Bull & Whistle, Schooner Wharf..

Please note: we only had her in these places during the DAY.

We took our boys (7 & 5) into a couple of places when we were there on a cruise stop in January.

We spent much of the day over at the docks where the tall ships are parked; had a couple of beers at Schooners Wharf. The boys loved that - mostly they hung out on the docks/boardwalk, looking at the big tarpon that are swimming around eating the scraps/waste from the folks cleaning fish. We also stopped in for a drink at some bar that had a guy playing music; don't recall the name, it was about 1/2 way between Sloppy Joes & the cruise dock. Kinda dark, had a pool table or 2, some dart boards.

We took our boys (7 & 5) into a couple of places when we were there on a cruise stop in January.

We spent much of the day over at the docks where the tall ships are parked; had a couple of beers at Schooners Wharf. The boys loved that - mostly they hung out on the docks/boardwalk, looking at the big tarpon that are swimming around eating the scraps/waste from the folks cleaning fish. We also stopped in for a drink at some bar that had a guy playing music; don't recall the name, it was about 1/2 way between Sloppy Joes & the cruise dock. Kinda dark, had a pool table or 2, some dart boards.

Over on Whitehead? The Green Parrot. The Parrot has a live cam so if you stop there you can call your friends an cavort in fromt of the camera.

Pjk

Over on Whitehead? The Green Parrot. The Parrot has a live cam so if you stop there you can call your friends an cavort in fromt of the camera.

Pjk

After taking a quick look at their website, that's definitely it. A sunny place for shady people.

It's a good idea to get kids that age off Duval Street by 10:00 or so in my opinion. Even earlier in the day be aware that some of the singers/entertainers in the bars can be somewhat off-color;)

That's putting it mildly. We were in Irish Kevin's one day, and a family paused on the sidewalk to peer in. The guy on the stage yelled at them... "Hey come on in, kids #*!$% love this @#*$#" :D

Archived