weather & cancelling excursions

oklahoma cruiser

OK, we leave Monday and I decided to check the weather forecasts for our ports. Now I'm totally bummed :( because both ports are expecting rain while we're there. My question is....at what point do the excursions get cancelled?

FYI: our ports are Progresso (we have the Chichen Itza ruins booked) and Cozumel (nothing booked yet, but REALLY wanted to take the kids snorkelling)

Any thoughts or experience?

thanks in advance,

Same thing happened to us last year. If you booked them through Carnival - your S&S Card will be refunded. We had one that was a combo - zip lining and beach. We opted to still do the zip lining so half was refunded.

Have fun !!

OOPS....clarification....our's were canceled by Carnival because of weather. They let us know when we were at the meeting spot.

Chichen Itza will not be canceled, carry a umbrella. Watch out for tarantellas ( i saw quite a few) As a FYI there are alot of vendors/ gypsy's there in the ruin area so make sure to carry money/ valuables in places that are not easy for pick pockets.

OK, we leave Monday and I decided to check the weather forecasts for our ports. Now I'm totally bummed :( because both ports are expecting rain while we're there. My question is....at what point do the excursions get cancelled?

FYI: our ports are Progresso (we have the Chichen Itza ruins booked) and Cozumel (nothing booked yet, but REALLY wanted to take the kids snorkelling)

thanks in advance,

I also am in Cozumel next week and booked a beach day excursion. The rain in the forecast is making me sad... :(

Chichen Itza will not be canceled, carry a umbrella. Watch out for tarantellas ( i saw quite a few) As a FYI there are alot of vendors/ gypsy's there in the ruin area so make sure to carry money/ valuables in places that are not easy for pick pockets.

thanks for the heads up....both on the tarantulas and bad guys. I'll throw the umbrella in the bag too.

Last time I was in Cozumel it was storming when we docked, but within an hour it was sunny and beautiful. I never book thru Carnival, but I had gone to the internet cafe and contacted Island Mkt. who I booked thru. They told me that the beach I was going to was already sunny, but if I felt the need I could cancel and be refunded. I went and it turned out to be beautiful. Soooooooo...I say wait and see.

thanks for the heads up....both on the tarantulas and bad guys. I'll throw the umbrella in the bag too.
I said the negatives, I forgot to say how beautiful it is. It was a important site and it is HUGE! And that they are still excavating. There will be archeologists on site working. If you see a bunch of people staring in a big whole you know they found something. Also the umbrella works great in hot sun too.

Yes, those Italian dancers can be deadly :D

Don't put a whole lot of stock in a forcast a week away. Our weather forcast changes from the morning news ,to the noon news, to the 6pm news, to the 11pm news...THINK POSITIVE...

They are rarely correct same day, let alone a week away. Go with Carnival if you are worried.

Gypsies? Really?

Not really a nice description you paint of the people in the area.

They are hard working people who sell their wares. Yes, they will talk to you. (If your main source of providing for your family was the meager income derived from sales to whatever tourists happen to come to the ruins that day, you'd make sure to try and talk to everyone, too.) If interested, talk to them and bargain. If not, walk on.

You don't have to walk around in fear of the "gypsies" who might talk to you and pick your pockets, lol.

Also, I have been to numerous ruin sites. Never had a problem with tarantulas. I have managed to get some excellent hand-carved pieces being sold there.

thanks in advance,

Land based excursions are rarely canceled due to weather. Sometimes water based ones will be canceled if the conditions are unsafe but with your land based tour you should expect to go even if it rains. As far as snorkeling in Cozumel, go and have a good time unless there are thunderstorms. You are wet anyway.

BTW it rarely rains all day at any of the ports and the weather forecast almost always calls for rain. I mean really 99% of the time every port stop has a rain forecast.

Gypsies? Really?

Not really a nice description you paint of the people in the area.

They are hard working people who sell their wares. Yes, they will talk to you. (If your main source of providing for your family was the meager income derived from sales to whatever tourists happen to come to the ruins that day, you'd make sure to try and talk to everyone, too.) If interested, talk to them and bargain. If not, walk on.

You don't have to walk around in fear of the "gypsies" who might talk to you and pick your pockets, lol.

Also, I have been to numerous ruin sites. Never had a problem with tarantulas.

Yes there are some Gypsies maybe you didn't see them but they were there. Not all the people selling are gypsies I said you would see gypsies and vendors who sell on the property and chase people to pressure them to buy things. I did not say they were one in the same. But it is a pick pockets haven there. Not all of the people are poor either. Not all of the vendors are even Mayan. Even if they tell you they are , you can tell by facial features. And I have more respect than you will ever know for the Mayan culture and people. HELLO my husband has a archeology degree from Harvard and his specialty in Mayan civilization!

Look stop trying to pick a fight. There are gypsies there and at most sites. I had some little kids ( under 10) try to scam us a Ek balam . they said there was a $20 parking fee. And we knew the parking was free.

Now when I walked around I saw quite a few tarantulas. Also I tend to go to the less common parts of visiting sites. I have been to quite a few and my husband even more. he wa at Chitzen Itza when you could see the jaguar room and has pictures of him sitting on the ruins.

Chitzen Itza is not like the other sites, they allow vendors on the site, others don't. People should know to be aware of this. And there high pressure sales. And while we were there someone tried to get into my husbands camera bag. It didn't happen because of the lock and our stuff is slash proof but he felt a tug and it wasn't a tourist doing the tugging!

Not trying to pick a fight. Simply calling you out on using the term gypsy.

Gypsy is a very derogatory word. Truth is, you don't know where the non-vendors came from... You have just decided to use a blanket term to describe them.

Seriously -- you can tell a Mexican of Mayan descent by facial features? Please.

And, since it is not your husband with whom I am discussing this matter, you can stop bringing him and his whatever degrees into this conversation. That's silly and lame.

You are the one who called them vendors/gypsies. You didn't bother to say that that there are people other than vendors there who might pickpocket. You inferred that the vendors were the ones to be concerned about.

The fact is that pickpocketing can happen anywhere. And, as a tourist, people should be aware of their surroundings. But, you are no more likely to be pickpocketed in Chichen Itza as you would be anywhere else in the Yucatan Peninsula.

You don't have to worry about the tarantulas they rarely bite and if they do they are not poisonous. Peoples concepts of the tarantula has been formed by Hollywood. I have 6 of the little buggers at home. Drives my cat crazy. She thinks they are some kind of toy. They make great pets and love to be have their bodies petted. Also the rather rude characterization of the local Mayans as gypsies was totally uncalled for. You do not have anything to worry about with them except trying to get the best price for your souvenirs, barter until the price is right for you.

Archived