Live from Veendam South America & Antarctica 6 Jan 2011

Bescotti

I'm currently on the Veendam, heading towards the Falklands where we should dock tomorrow. I've been doing a blog for family and friends to follow but some of my CC friends suggested I post this here for those of you who might be considering this cruise next year - or just like to live vicariously.

I'm doing a combination of excursions arranged through my roll call and 2 through HAL, plus an independent pre-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls.

Hope you find it informative and interesting.

http://bescotti.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your nicely detailed reports with photos - wonderful. We should almost call the Veendam the MS Goldilocks because of prior reports of it being too hot, too cold and others just right. Any A/C reports from you or your fellow passengers which side Goldilocks is finding herself on the poor Veendam.

My sister recently was on it and was upgraded to one of the aft cabins to her initial delight except she found it "too cold" an ended up getting moved. But she started in NYC which was settling into winter when she left so maybe now that you are in hot and sticky climate, the A/C is feeling better?

Hi SwissMyst, No I haven't heard any reports of A/C problems from anyone - and some of my fellow CCers are in the aft cabins and haven't mentioned them.

When I first came onboard the toilets in my area weren't flushing but once I notified one of my cabin stewards the problem was resolved in half an hour. Another day I lost power in my cabin for a couple of hours (I didn't realise at first as I was working on my netbook and it just switched to battery use) but again as soon as I notified my cabin steward the issue was resolved pretty quickly. Since then there have been no other issues - the airconditioning is fine and the cabin is in great condition - still looking very fresh. My cabin stewards Suhardi and Uzer are excellent.

I was on the Amsterdam for a 14 night Alaskan cruise last June and I must say that I'm enjoying my stay on the Veendam so much better. We've had a change of captain for this cruise. Fred Eversen has come on board. I've been on a previous cruise where he was captain and I also noticed in Montevideo that he is a Canon user so I know we're in very good hands - and that he has great discernment when it comes to cameras:D.

The lighthouse on the Falklands has just come into view so I have to go.

Bescotti, for sharing your beautiful blog. I am now following you on your amazing travels as well as "jimneycrkit" on his adventure Around the Horn in 66 Days, and "Kween Karen's" Grand Voyage to South America and Antarctica. I feel like I'm doing 3 cruises simultaneously ... what an experience!! I am so envious of the beautiful job all three of you are doing on your blogs. I need to get some lessons in how to create one of these. Thank you for taking us along on your great adventure.

Thanks so much for your kind comments - this is the first time I've attempted a blog so I'm learning as I go.

Today was an absolutely fabulous day in the Falklands - and I think will be the highlight of my cruise. Photo opportunities were fantastic and if anyone is ever considering doing a South American cruise then they should really try to include Patrick Watts' tour to Volunteer Point. If my words don't convince you, hopefully my photos on the blog will!

Bev

Absolutely fabulous blog and pictures. I will be on the Prinsendam next month. Hope that we will be as lucky as you to get out to Volunteer Point to see the King Penguins. Your pictures are really great. Have a great cruise and thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

I'm so glad you posted a link for us to follow.

Archived