Best side of St Thomas to shop

Teris50

where is the ebst side to shop when on St. Thomas? Heard rumors that one side is better and We will be on the Emerald Princess arriving Feb 19.

You might be confusing this with St Maarten, which has a Dutch and a French side. But St Thomas' primary shopping is along Main and Back Streets and the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie. There is tourist oriented shopping in the Havensight Mall where many cruise ships dock. Likewise in Crown Bay Center where RCCL ships typically go.

NO I was not confusing it with St. Marteen..why I was asking was because I got this email from my sister...

Chuck heard that St. Thomas has great shopping…after you arrive take a taxi to the other side of the island and they have the best shopping there…also if while on the other side of St Thomas you get up high enough you can see all the other islands.

SO that was why I asked??

The best shopping in the port area is Havensight. The shopping around Crown Bay leaves much to be desired whereas Havensight has everything that is needed.

As far as the mountaintop, I just took a regular sighteeing tour offered by Princess. It took us all the way to the mountaintop and we were able to see all the ships in both Havensight and Crown Bay (there were 2 Princess ships in havensight and the Queen Mary 2 was in Crown Bay). You can also see most of the outlying islands (both British and American).

I think that the OP's BIL must have docked in Crown Bay or stayed near the airport thus ...going to "the other side of the island" would seem descriptive by someone unfamiliar with the island of going to Havensight and Mountaintop or Paradise Point, though all are on the southside.

It sounds like your sister was describing the Mountain Top attraction before it burned down. There were several shops, and they may have had lower prices than some other places in town. From the old Mountain Top lookout, you could see many islands far out in the distance. You could also see Magens Bay.

Unfortunately, the new Mountain Top has not yet opened for drinks or shopping. They were supposed to have opened in November, but it's January, and it's still not open.

As far as shopping goes, it all depends on what you're looking for. No one store is guaranteed to have the lowest price on everything, and quality can vary from store to store. It would help if you could say what you're hoping to find.

There is no shopping on the "other side of the island". Shopping in St. Thomas is done in Charlotte Amalie. There will also be shops at both Crown Bay and Havensight where the ships dock, but these are hardly considered to be on the other side of the island. They're both a 5 minute taxi ride from the downtown area (and you can see the downtown from where the ships dock).

As far as seeing all the other islands....I guess it depends what other islands one is referring to. There are various look outs around St. Thomas that will allow you to see other islands.

I agree with other posters, the person who gave you this information has their islands confused. St. Maarten has a french side and dutch side (both offer shopping...personally, I feel the dutch side where the ships dock offers better shopping) and there are spots on St. Maarten where you can also see other islands on a clear day (such as Anguilla and St. Barts).

Archived