Luggage tags.... really?

1stTimer02/2011

I follow the directions for folding them and then take them to Staples and they laminate all 6 for about $1. They are very sturdy. On my last cruise I borrowed the stapler from the front desk of the Hotel we stayed at and attached them. I have also taped them to a case of water.

Btw, the last time I sailed NCL I called wondering where my tags were and was told by the rep answering the phone that day that they no longer send them out in the mail. Guess what was in my mailbox that afternoon ;). So, yes they do mail them out with the Welcome Aboard booklet.

I am reading this thread thinking I must be in the Twilight Zone!

Do they really still send out packets with luggage tags? I have not received these in at least 3 years from any cruiseline. I thought they stopped sending those out a couple years ago?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that we have usually booked right around final payment time or so. This time, we booked a few months out. so, my question is, when can we expect to receive this package?

Printing online and then sealing the tags with clear tape has worked well, but it is kinda a pain in the behind.

Just curious...Is it more normal to receive the packet than not?

At the end of December, I got an email from NCL stating that a Welcome Aboard kit for our February cruise was being mailed and it arrived a short time later... I was surprised as I had thought they no longer mailed luggage tags.

They reinstituted it a while back...maybe a year or 18 months ago...maybe even a touch longer.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that we have usually booked right around final payment time or so. This time, we booked a few months out. so, my question is, when can we expect to receive this package?

Printing online and then sealing the tags with clear tape has worked well, but it is kinda a pain in the behind.

Just curious...Is it more normal to receive the packet than not?

We booked on Dec 30, (final payment was due that day) got an email last week saying the mailed them and rec'd them in the mail today!

For your next cruise get a new TA if this one knows nothing about luggage tags.:eek:

Funny I was thinking the same thing!! I was told they will come in the mail. I find it easier to have them already on my luggage as opposed to doing it at the pier. But I check 4-5 bags!!

If you received the Welcome Kit & have the preprinted Luggage Tags inside (4 with names and 2 without) - and by your cruise day, not opting for upgrades, Upsell or making cabin changes otherwise, I would say use those COLOR-CODED tags - as it's easier for the ship crew to prompty sort them out & deliver it to your stateroom, etc.

There are easily 5,000+ pieces *** of luggage (coming off the belly of something like 8 to 10 Boeing 747's) abroad in the hold area, once it clear x-ray & security screening, and it's an amazing job the teams do in getting them to your cabin in a matter of hours - without conveyer belts or scanning using bar code tags to sort & divide them up by deck level & sections. *** Amazing tasks for 2,300+ pax with 2 checked items each, excluding those bringing extras - unloading those debarking first and then loading new ones embarking ....

When my brother-in-laws' 2 luggages given to the porter at Honolulu got misrouted somewhere on the ship, they're able to track it down & bring it quickly to where it should be with the color coding - it was buried with others of a different color scheme on an entirely different deck in the AFT section and they're mid Ship. If it was printed in black-n-white at home or handwritten at the pier by the busy porters, it probably would've taken a "bit" longer to find it. The hotel ops supervisor responsible for handling luggage personally ran around the ship, found it & even left a note of apology. But, he said to us - it didn't go onto another ship with just ours docked at the pier, nothing was left behind on land, and if it's on this ship somewhere, it will show up sooner or later and we normally find everything before the night is over.

We also knew that if the tags had been torned or simply vanished, the hopefully unclaimed luggage still had its owner info & trip information inside, easily seen once opened, as secondary tags.

And, yes, we got emails about our Kit being mailed last week and it was in our mailbox today - we only booked in the beginning of January & finalized payment shortly thereafter.

All non-North American travellers do NOT receive anything anymore from the cruiseline. No welcome pack! No luggage tag, nothing. It is a cost saving measure and also has the nice side effect to save a lot of useless paper (and thu saves enviromental resources).

Only North Americans seem to still get them, for reasons unknown. RCL and NCL do not send anything out for over 2 years now in Europe! (And yes, it works fine...)

;-)

You will not (!!) need luggage tags, before you arrive at the port. As soon as you arrive at the port, you will see porters with luggage tags in their hands. They will distribute them to you. All you need to know is your cabin number and your own name/address to fill in.

In line with most cruiselines and airlines, NCL does no longer send out any documents, papers and luggage tags in most cases.

You need to prepare/fill out everything online these days and print a few things out for the actual check-in at port to expedite things (and to show port assistants where to direct you).

In your electronic documents you will also find a page with your luggage tag, shiowing your cabin number of course.

That is useful to print out ONLY, to make life easier for you to fill out the correct luggage tags later, which you receive from the porters at the port.

No need to print those "luggage tags" out otherwise! They won´t do the trick, since this printed paper is not meant to function as a luggage tag. Luggage tags need to be of a very specific paper, that cannot be ripped.

Happy cruising!

We've always received luggage tags in our welcome packet. We did change cabins last cruise a short while before cruise so just went on-line and printed out the new ones, covered them with the clear laminating paper, punched a hole in each end and attached them to our luggage with a piece of strong string. Yes, you can do it at the port but having one less thing to worry about when you get there is worth the effort of making your tags at home!

Archived