Luggage tags.... really?

1stTimer02/2011

How do you get these so called luggage tags? and do you HAVE to have them?

I had read about them on CC, but when I mentioned it to my TA, she didn't seem to know anything about them. She said everything I would need, including boarding pass, was available on NCL.com We purchased a couple of weeks ago...

Do they in fact get mailed to you? Do you have to have them in order to get on the ship? Do they have extra ones when you check in?

Just curious... is it something I need to panic about?

When you download your Edocs from ncl.com there will be a page of paper luggage tags. Print a few copies, fill them out and since they are paper I use clear packing tape and sort of laminate them by covering the width and length of them with the tape and then put them thru the handles of your luggage and tape or staple in place.

Yes, you do need them. I have been on some cruises where they have them curbside at the dock and others times they were not available so best to just print them and attach yourself to assure your luggage gets to your cabin.

NCL sends a booklet with the luggage tags. If you have a TA, they should get the booklet and mail it to you. IF you do not get your tags just ask the porter at the pier to give you blank ones and you can put your cabin # on those.

I am leaving the week before you and my TA just got them last week.

You will not (!!) need luggage tags, before you arrive at the port. As soon as you arrive at the port, you will see porters with luggage tags in their hands. They will distribute them to you. All you need to know is your cabin number and your own name/address to fill in.

In line with most cruiselines and airlines, NCL does no longer send out any documents, papers and luggage tags in most cases.

You need to prepare/fill out everything online these days and print a few things out for the actual check-in at port to expedite things (and to show port assistants where to direct you).

In your electronic documents you will also find a page with your luggage tag, shiowing your cabin number of course.

That is useful to print out ONLY, to make life easier for you to fill out the correct luggage tags later, which you receive from the porters at the port.

No need to print those "luggage tags" out otherwise! They won´t do the trick, since this printed paper is not meant to function as a luggage tag. Luggage tags need to be of a very specific paper, that cannot be ripped.

Happy cruising!

You will not (!!) need luggage tags, before you arrive at the port. As soon as you arrive at the port, you will see porters with luggage tags in their hands. They will distribute them to you. All you need to know is your cabin number and your own name/address to fill in.

In line with most cruiselines and airlines, NCL does no longer send out any documents, papers and luggage tags in most cases.

You need to prepare/fill out everything online these days and print a few things out for the actual check-in at port to expedite things (and to show port assistants where to direct you).

In your electronic documents you will also find a page with your luggage tag, shiowing your cabin number of course.

That is useful to print out ONLY, to make life easier for you to fill out the correct luggage tags later, which you receive from the porters at the port.

No need to print those "luggage tags" out otherwise! They won´t do the trick, since this printed paper is not meant to function as a luggage tag. Luggage tags need to be of a very specific paper, that cannot be ripped.

Happy cruising!

I just got my info packet from NCL and it had luggage tags in it. You will get a packet from NCL depending how far out you book your cruise.

And NCL certainly does send out a welcome package that includes luggage tags. They are good since they are pre printed with all the correct info. We usually attach them just before arriving at the terminal. Should something happen to them, the porters will have them, but you will need your cruise documents for embarkation. :D

We were on the Jade in July, 2010 (western Mediterranean). Our cruise booklet was mailed to us by NCL since we booked with them directly. The luggage tags in the booklet are better than the printed ones that come with the e-docs because they are self-adhesive and easy to put around the handle of each of your pieces of luggage. Save them with your e-docks until you get to the port, that way you don't risk the chance of having them torn off by the airline personnel.

I wouldn't leave them behind and hope that the porters at the pier will have blank ones -- just one more thing you will have to wait around for.

There's no need to "hope" that the porters will have tags...they WILL have luggage tags! No worries...and they will stay on your bags without you having to do some sort of "craft" project at home!

If you want to cut about 1 min. off the time it takes to attach the tag at the dock, bring stickers/labels with your name and cabin #....just stick them on the tags. Easy!

As pointed out-yep, you'll need tags...and if you don't get them in advance, you can print them online. And if you don't print them on line, you can get them at the pier.

Remember the old 'shoe scramble' game thay was sometimes played in grade school? Now imagine that game played with luggage for a couple thousand people and you'll realize why luggage tags are needed :eek:

Happy cruising!

This is not true at all. On almost every cruise we have used the printable tags, because we usually have last minute cabin changes. The printable ones work well - there are instructions on folding them (do not cut them out) and they are pretty sturdy that way. We generally go the extra step and laminate them with either clear packing tape or a laminator (yes, we have one, cheap and we use it a lot). They are as sturdy this way as the ones mailed. We have always gotten them mailed to us as well, unless booked or changed last minute (which we always seems to do).

Robin

As pointed out-yep, you'll need tags...and if you don't get them in advance, you can print them online. And if you don't print them on line, you can get them at the pier.

Remember the old 'shoe scramble' game thay was sometimes played in grade school? Now imagine that game played with luggage for a couple thousand people and you'll realize why luggage tags are needed :eek:

Holy cow, I hardly see you on the boards anymore, what are doing with yourself, something constructive I hope.

Yep, we have gotten them at the pier on a few occassions.

Nita

Hi Nita--I've been more of a lurker on the board for a few months now and have been doing most of my posting on my roll calls. No particular reason for it so I don't really know why - maybe I'm just sometimes tired of the same threads showing up time after time (nothing wrong with them showing up-but sometimes I just get bored). And seriously, I find the roll calls to be friendlier. The big disagreements there might be which hotel is better precruise-of course that could be because we know we'll actually meet those people LOL

but not to worry----I'm still around

Holy cow, I hardly see you on the boards anymore, what are doing with yourself, something constructive I hope.

Yep, we have gotten them at the pier on a few occassions.

Nita

Just a reminder to put your extra/unused luggage tag / pax contact info inside each luggage checked at the pier - in the highly unlikely case of the outside tags being lost/misplaced/damaged - so that they can track it down & re-unite it with you / get it delivered to the cabin.

It happened to my brother-n-law's luggage while we're 4,000 miles from home cruising the POA out of Honolulu - 2 pcs. were still missing at dinner time despite our early/priority check-in, ship was still docked at the Pier & delayed for late arriving pax on NCL-booked flights. Onboard crew tracked it down & had it outside the cabin when we're done with our dinner.

(Some luggages were held for in-person pickup b/c of liquor and/or other questionable items discovered during the x-ray security screening)

P.S. We just received our preprinted, color-coded NCL luggage tags as part of the Welcome Abroard booklet, mailed via our PCC at NCL - 30 days before our sailaway. Completed our online check-in and update/checked our profile info & eDoc is ready to print as the Document is required for pier check-in. We usually wait until 24/48 hours before cruising to print in case of last minute upsell, changes, etc.

On our first cruise, we received the call from the "upsell fairy" and moved from a BA to an OS. The tags that NCL sent us were for the BA. I printed out new ones, but the porters just tossed them and made out new ones.

On our second cruise, we affixed our tags before we left the Hotel, but two of them were ripped and damaged. The porters made out new ones.

On our third cruise, the tags in our cruise documents were missing. The porters made out new ones.

If you receive tags from NCL that are self-adhesive, I would most certainly affix them, but wait just before departure. Otherwise, let the Porters take care of it.

I would recommend that you make copies of your tags, and place them inside EACH piece of luggage, just in case.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Happy cruising!

We received the booklet and luggage tags in the mail for our cruise on 1/1 from NCL.

We got ours in the mail from NCL. When we got tothe pier, the porter told us the snorkling equipment DH had attached to a piece of luggage had to be removed and have their own tags. I told him I left my extra tags at home, and he made us take the equipment with us as carryon! It was NYC, and very busy.

Apparently they only mail them to you if you've booked many months in advance. We printed ours with our edocs. A hint...if you fill out one then photocopy it, you can avoid a lot of mindless printing of your name and address!

What I did was print on 8.5x11 paper, folded on the dotted lines, then folded again so only the tag portion was visible, then attached to luggage with duct tape. No special paper needed and they made it to our room intact. That being said I attached them after all air travel was complete.

Bring extra in case you make an emergency shopping trip before the cruise ;)

sometimes you get the Welcome Aboard Kit sometimes you dont...doesnt seem to matter how far out you book with who you book etc etc.

DO PRINT out your luggage tags tho and reinforce with clear packing tape..WORKS great NEVER have had a ripped tag and no special paper either!!

DONT depend on the porters to have as sometimes they do/dont and they are busy...we watched last cruise where one porter didnt attach one of the tags to a piece of luggage--not ours and the passenger had to tell him several times ...this bag...this bag...so BEST to just have your TAGS on when you get there!!!

they are right there when you print your EDOCs--print some extras in case you need...we get the tags sent by NCL and print some extras so we always have plenty!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

Archived