Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

I wasn't referring to just my post, although it's a good place to start.

Note that I wrote "postS".

There were a great many people taking a lot of time and effort to explain WHY the cruiseline doesn't want you to leave the balcony door open.

Is it against THE LAW to leave it open?

No.

Is it a good idea to leave it open?

No.

But you, like so many others, will just do whatever you want.

You decided to single out my post, so I singled out yours.

However, I suspect you ignored the true point of my response. So, just in case, let repeat it for your benefit:

Show me where there is a written rule that says all pax are required to keep their balcony door closed. Not a picture of a placard that says they recommend keeping the balcony door closed for our comfort and convenience.

If you can direct me to a rule stating this I'll gladly admit I was wrong and, begrudingly, would obey the rule on our upcoming cruise. We do not do 'whatever we want' and do not consider ourselves 'rule breakers'. That said we're not going to close our balcony door just because some folks on a message board think it should be a written rule. :rolleyes:

Based on the logic in this thread I suppose it's also a rule that you must use RCL sanctioned excursions. After all, that is what they would prefer...

There are also a great many people taking a lot of time and effort to explain WHY someone might want to leave the balcony door open.

If the cruiselines are so concerned with all the reasons the "no" posters have listed, why do they only mention the AC on the sign posted by the balcony door?

So why bother?

I'm guessing that if the cruiselines had to actually list all the reasons to keep the balcony doors closed they would need an extra wall to post them. Maybe they felt that a small sign would be good enough and most pax would "get it"?:)

You decided to single out my post, so I singled out yours.

However, I suspect you ignored the true point of my response. So, just in case, let repeat it for your benefit:

Show me where there is a written rule that says all pax are required to keep their balcony door closed. Not a picture of a placard that says they recommend keeping the balcony door closed for our comfort and convenience.

If you can direct me to a rule stating this I'll gladly admit I was wrong and, begrudingly, would obey the rule on our upcoming cruise. We do not do 'whatever we want' and do not consider ourselves 'rule breakers'. That said we're not going to close our balcony door just because some folks on a message board think it should be a written rule. :rolleyes:

Based on the logic in this thread I suppose it's also a rule that you must use RCL sanctioned excursions. After all, that is what they would prefer...

You will find this website has a lot of "busy bodies" who like to lecture others even if the "offense" has nothing to do with, or effects them what so ever.

I'm guessing that if the cruiselines had to actually list all the reasons to keep the balcony doors closed they would need an extra wall to post them. Maybe they felt that a small sign would be good enough and most pax would "get it"?:)

Call me crazy but I think "Please keep balcony door closed to preserve your cabin's air conditioning. This also conserves energy!" would be trumped by "Please keep balcony door closed to reduce the risk of fire. This is a safety precaution!"

Call me crazy but I think "Please keep balcony door closed to preserve your cabin's air conditioning. This also conserves energy!" would be trumped by "Please keep balcony door closed to reduce the risk of fire. This is a safety precaution!"

I agree.

But in most cases energy conservation on a daily/weekly basis might trump the small chance of a fire onboard.:)

And I do think that certain pax would need a 12 page document covering all reasons for keeping the balcony doors closed before they would comply. and then many would ignore that as well.

Simple statements like "No alcohol is allowed to be brought onboard" are ignored all of the time.:)

I agree that the signs should be worded more strongly. Reading the sign as posted previously I would take it to mean that if you have your balcony door open don't expect the air conditioning to keep your cabin cool. It should list it as a requirement if that is what they mean.

They list it as "Please" do this just like they list the dining room dress recommendations which allow for an individuals interpretation of the intentions. It should say "You must keep the balcony door closed due to safety regulations."

I agree that the signs should be worded more strongly. Reading the sign as posted previously I would take it to mean that if you have your balcony door open don't expect the air conditioning to keep your cabin cool. It should list it as a requirement if that is what they mean.

They list it as "Please" do this just like they list the dining room dress recommendations which allow for an individuals interpretation of the intentions. It should say "You must keep the balcony door closed due to safety regulations."

The cruise lines face major fines if they don't follow safety regulations. If it was a requirement that the balcony doors remain closed, RCCL's lawyers would insist that such a statement be posted by every balcony door. Not only to protect the company from fines but also to protect the company from lawsuits. IMHO the reason the cruise lines want you to keep the balcony door closed is that some, if not most, people do not bother to adjust the AC in their cabins when they leave the door open. This results in increased operating costs and less profit.

I believe the original question was "Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?"

For me, I haven't had a room with a balcony yet.. but if I did, I am sure I would love to try it at least once.

For the poster who shared the picture of the falcon, thank you for that. What a beautiful bird!

I agree.

But in most cases energy conservation on a daily/weekly basis might trump the small chance of a fire onboard.:)

See my post about the lawyers above.

And I do think that certain pax would need a 12 page document covering all reasons for keeping the balcony doors closed before they would comply. and then many would ignore that as well.

I agree

Simple statements like "No alcohol is allowed to be brought onboard" are ignored all of the time.:)

That is not a fair comparison. Bringing alcohol on board is a financial issue not a safety one. I would like to see a comparison of the number of people who violate the no alcohol rule with the number of people who violate the no iron rule.

This certainly is not the first, and I imagine not the last, discussion on leaving the balcony door open. And almost always much of the discussion revolves around the wording on the sign.

On one side there are those that believe the wording, as is, constitutes a clear directive that one should keep the door closed. On the other side are those who believe it isn't so clear.

It may indeed be true that some in the "isn't so clear" camp would leave the door open even if the sign stated that certain death awaited them for doing so. I believe, however, it is unfair to assume that this is true of all of them. I think there are a lot of people that currently leave the balcony door open that wouldn't if the cruise line stated more strongly/clearly that the balcony doors needed to remain closed.

Husband wants to sleep with balcony door open for fresh air, is that safe?:confused:
There are signs on your door on the balcony to shut your door, and I know on Oasis ans Allure your air will shut off if you keep your door open.

It's generally posted somewhere on or near the balcony door itself that the door should not be left open.

As for safety . . . it can be a hazard if the ship is going through a storm. It also can be a little hazardous if you happen to open your cabin door, while the balcony door is open. You can get a very strong breeze, which can either slam the door back closed on you or blow papers or other light items out to sea, depending upon the direction of the flow.

Generally not a good idea to leave the balcony door open, but these threads pop up from time to time, and there are always a certain number of people who have the attitude of, "I'll do whatever I want to do in MY cabin."

But if they wire the rest of the fleet the same as Oasis and Allure some people will wake up with soaked sheets!

Cruise Critic regulars often take pictures of lots of such things, because it helps answer questions here with something other than just a "he said/she said" kind of response. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that . . .
Yes! How about that!

For one thing, when you tell someone on CC about it later - and they accuse you of just starting "rumors" (thinking about a certain "new levels" signage in the terminals) - you can show them it is fact, not rumor...... :D
Great point and so true

As a matter of fact I read every one of them and I don't appreciate your reply.

If you think your picture of that sign consitutes a set of "rules" I disagree. No need to be nasty. Geesh. :rolleyes:

I don't think MM was being nasty, just pointing out another case of ME, ME, ME...There are several valid and considerate reasons to keep the balcony door shut.

Also, careful with the bathroom doors if you have a draft thru the room....they can slam, causing injury if fingers or toes are in them!!!:eek:

We sleep with the doors open...we love it!!!!

There is another reason, forgot about that one. And it slams hard!

You will find this website has a lot of "busy bodies" who like to lecture others even if the "offense" has nothing to do with, or effects them what so ever.

This day is turning out to be A-OK! THATS TWO ISSUES IN A ROW WE AGREE ON!!..LOL...I'll now buy you a adult beverage at the next Meet and mingle!

I may have missed it if it was already addressed..... One other reason not to leave your balcony door open for open for extended periods of time is, it can affect the air conditioning in adjacent cabins (negativley). In other words your neighbor's A/C is being drafted away from their cabin. I'm sure it is not anyone's intent to make any of their fellow passengers uncomfortable.

Could be coming???

Archived