Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

To get back on the subject, my wife and I opened our balcony at night on our caribbean cruise in December. The night weather was perfect for it. No humidity at the time and you definately heard the waves against the boat. I know it made me sleep better. I'd at least recommend it one night and see how it is for you. We didn't do it the first night because it was still a bit cool coming out of Galveston but did it the other 6 nights. I think it's part of the experience of having a balcony room.

Amen to that, we left our balcony door open ever night except one on our September New England/Canada cruise. We sleep with a sound machine, the sound of waves, so this helped us sleep better. The only reason we didn't the last night was because of a hurricane coming up the coast. It was still down in Florida but it had the wind blowing and the ship rocking!

We never have. Its against the rules, but I'm sure you will hear from others who do it anyway. Supposedly, it adversely affects the AC.

Where does it say that this is against the rules? I know that they "suggest" that you close your balcony door while using the a/c, but I have never seen this to be required.

We have not done this, but I have thought about it. Usually it is too hot for me to even think about leaving it open all night long.

WE usually book a cabin as far forward as possible so we can be near where the waves break against the bow of the ship. With the door open the sound of the waves is very relaxing. The humidity and hot weather do not bother us since we sleep in the nude.

If it is hot outside, I am not leaving the door open.

I like my room cool.

With that being said, if the temperature outside is below 62 degrees, what harm would there be to leaving my door open?

Maybe a flying fish could wind up in my bed?:eek:

WE usually book a cabin as far forward as possible so we can be near where the waves break against the bow of the ship. With the door open the sound of the waves is very relaxing. The humidity and hot weather do not bother us since we sleep in the nude.

We do the same. On the Voyager and Freedom class ships we either get room #1230 or #1530. Those are the only two rooms that we have ever cruised in! lol

Thank you for that information.:eek:

I simply cannot handle AC. Open the window, door, or whatever!!! Just keep that cold air away from me . . . .

My husband is that way - he has to have the balcony door open at night.

Me...... I need cool air.

Result? We argue :D

FROM THE MAIB REPORT:

"fire was able to develop undetected for about 20 minutes. Thereafter,it was then able to penetrate into the staterooms via the balcony doors, and to cross zone and deck boundaries unchecked. This clearly demonstrates that the regulation’s purpose to contain a fire in its space of origin was not achieved."

Although this was not due to a balcony door being left open, but rather the fire breaking the non fire rated doors, it still shows the importance in keeping balcony doors SHUT.

:rolleyes:

StarPrincess-4.jpg

Liffridge-43(2).jpg

When we do have a balcony, we generally keep the air off when we are in the cabin, and keep the doors open. Unfortunately, there has often been smokers and/or noisy neighbors, making it not quite as pleasant. But when everyone has gone to sleep, we open the balcony and sleep with the fresh air.

FROM THE MAIB REPORT:

"fire was able to develop undetected for about 20 minutes. Thereafter,it was then able to penetrate into the staterooms via the balcony doors, and to cross zone and deck boundaries unchecked. This clearly demonstrates that the regulation’s purpose to contain a fire in its space of origin was not achieved."

Although this was not due to a balcony door being left open, but rather the fire breaking the non fire rated doors, it still shows the importance in keeping balcony doors SHUT.

Or the need to prohibit smoking on the balconies. :D

Me and my hubby like leaving the balcony door open a bit at night, as we like the sound of the ocean waves and the breeze.

I've seen some people here that are pretty concerned about the AC, and that leaving the door open adversley effects it. Personally neither me or the hubby likes AC, and just prefer the light breeze coming in off the balcony, so to each his own.

enjoy whatever you choose.

As a matter of fact I read every one of them and I don't appreciate your reply.

If you think your picture of that sign consitutes a set of "rules" I disagree. No need to be nasty. Geesh. :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to just my post, although it's a good place to start.

Note that I wrote "postS".

There were a great many people taking a lot of time and effort to explain WHY the cruiseline doesn't want you to leave the balcony door open.

Is it against THE LAW to leave it open?

No.

Is it a good idea to leave it open?

No.

But you, like so many others, will just do whatever you want.

I wasn't referring to just my post, although it's a good place to start.

Note that I wrote "postS".

There were a great many people taking a lot of time and effort to explain WHY the cruiseline doesn't want you to leave the balcony door open.

Is it against THE LAW to leave it open?

No.

Is it a good idea to leave it open?

No.

and then if they left the door open and forget they did, and go ashore, and a nice big rain event happens and they return to their cabin and find it sopping wet, I hope the crew hands them the shopvac and makes them clean it up.:)

There are also a great many people taking a lot of time and effort to explain WHY someone might want to leave the balcony door open.

If the cruiselines are so concerned with all the reasons the "no" posters have listed, why do they only mention the AC on the sign posted by the balcony door?

So why bother?

Archived