Water shoes in the Carribbean?

ripaula

I've never needed them, but I only go in the water to get wet....not to tromp around in the surf!

The water is crystal-clear, so you can generally see what you're about to step on. And, it depends on the beach...some are sandy, some are rockier....

I think water shoes are ugly as sin...and will NOT put them on my feet! If the water is that rocky, I'll splash a bit of H2O on me and won't get in!

I always pack them when I'm trying out a beach for the first time -- some are rockier than others! Places that I've found them not to be needed were: Megan's Bay, Trunk Bay, and Orient Beach. On the other hand, they were an absolute necessity at Labadee. They're not terribly expensive, and Lands End even has some cute ones! :p

As others have said, it depends on the location. In some places not necessary in the least, in others highly recommended. They can be purchased for under $10 and take up minimal space. Definitely say what ports you are headed to so people can advise.

We just returned from the Caribbean and we needed them for champagne reef in Dominica and swimming through titou gorge in Dominica as well. There were a lot of times where we didn't, but as a previous poster said they take up minimal space, and are definitely handy when needed. I would definitely take some.

if only to protect your feet from stepping on anything living, I'd say definitely!!

In Cozumel, there was a large buildup of crushed coral and rock that was about 4 feet wide and pretty difficult to walk over with water shoes.. I don't even want to think about having walked over it with bare feet!

Same in La Romana.. water a bit murky and lots of coral beds to maneuver over...

Reef shoes are great in that they double as walking shoes ( I have a pair of reeboks that I LOVE)..as opposed to 'surf mocs' that hurt like the devil and look really ugly!

• 2 weeks later...

Water shoes work well. Once out of the water you may want to change into something else. Sand in wet water shoes can mess up your feet. Suggestions are dry flip flops, tennis shoes and socks, socks with the Water shoes. A small travel size bottle of baby powder will help clean your feet. :cool:

crazy4koko: what kind of reeboks do you have? i'm looking to buy some less ugly water shoes lol

I found a pair of SALOMON TECHAMPHIBIAN shoes to use on our Alaska trip for wet days, hiking, kayaking, and as backup for when my heavier hikers needed a day off. They packed down almost flat, were ok with socks, good for around the pool, and decent for walking/biking. I have jumbo feet and was excited to find them in women's my size pretty blue instead of the usual brown/black in the men's. I got mine cheaper than listed online at end of season sale at EMS I think.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/techamphibian-2.html

It really depends what islands or ports your going too, and what beaches you want to be at. Also in Jamaica you would definately want them to do the Dunns River falls. I would ask on the seperate island sites.

We'll be in Sts. Thomas and Martin, and Grand Turk..Thanks..

Archived